+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Clerocuzio said:
Hello Friends!

I plan to land in Calgary but the waiting time for the connecting flight from Pearson Intl. to Calgary is 15 Hours.

Will it be possible for me to process our landing documents (such as PR Cards, SIN, etc) in Toronto while waiting.

Thanks for your repl(ies)y
Your landing will be processed in Toronto.

Landing formalities are always processed at the first point you land in Canada, so if you have a connecting flight to your final destination, ALWAYS make sure you leave ample time between flights.

(15 hours is way more than enough; 1.5 hours might be too short!)

Allgrace

Oct 9, 2015
kuskus said:
Each and every member of your family will have to land and go through the landing formality, either with you (the PA) or after; your dependents cannot land before you, neither can you do their "landing" for them.

Than you so much. Well noted

scuba_blue

Jul 21, 2014
Hi people...

After getting my immigrant visa now I am preparing for landing in Canada.
I am familiar with most procedures, but still I am concerned about two things.

I - is it acceptable to bring bank statement stating my account ballance (in CAD) printed on letterhead paper, signed and sealed by the Bank, and show it to CIC officers at the airport? I am not planning to bring more than 10.000 CAD in cash with me, but the money will be available via my Visa Bank card.
One more thing, I contacted Canadian Visa Office, but their answer was just part of the text copied from their website. So not helpful at all.

II - I know about list of all belongings that is mandatory to be presented, but I have read about taking photographs too. So do I need to take photographs of everything from my luggage and enclose it with the list? This seems a bit odd. I'd rather let border officer open my luggage and check items for himself.

Anyway.. those are my two concerns, hope you can help me clear that out, based on your experience and knowledge.

Thanks in advance guys, you've allways been so helpful.. and good luck with your visas (for those who are still in the process)

Cheers! :D

SpaceX

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-14
Nomination.....
17-11-14
File Transfer...
24-12-14
Med's Done....
3rd Line updated 31-01-15
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/03/15
LANDED..........
October 2015
Hi,

I requested the bank to send a letter - they do have a standard format and will send it to you as a FAX or Standard Post. I requested as standard post on bank letterhead. Received the letter in 2.5 weeks in UK.

The letter states that to whom so ever it concerns ---- Mr Spacex has an account in the bank with the balance of $15000.00.
and other stuff with the Bankers phone and contact details.
They did not bother to see it.

In worst case they not only see the letter but also call the Bank.

I actually Saw an incident when i was there with an individual (on a work visa) where the visa officer took them aside in a cubical and interviewed them.

Then after 25 min it seemed he was ready to rejected the visa and send them back from the airport. (i had to leave so not sure how the story ended)

But from the questions he was asking it was clear that was a fraud case. They has called his work place in Canada and his other contacts, His bank etc.

bainsneetu

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
hello members, I have a query. I have got the COPR and stamp on passport so now all set to go to Canada. But i have one doubt. After my passport was stamped, I have been living in another country from last 6 months. My question is - DO I need to collect PCC from the current country where I am living before leaving for Canada? Is it really required? I have already received the COPR and stamp on passport. Please suggest. as per my understanding , I don't think it is required for me since everything has been done already. Kindly suggest.

RanjitNagi

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
Nomination.....
24-11-2014
File Transfer...
16-01-2015
Med's Request
24-01-2015
Med's Done....
02-02-2015
Passport Req..
31-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
Hi All,

In my VISA, i have validity till Feb 2016. So, would there be issue if I land in Jan 2016?
Will immigration ask reason for landing late?

Regards

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
bainsneetu said:
hello members, I have a query. I have got the COPR and stamp on passport so now all set to go to Canada. But i have one doubt. After my passport was stamped, I have been living in another country from last 6 months. My question is - DO I need to collect PCC from the current country where I am living before leaving for Canada? Is it really required? I have already received the COPR and stamp on passport. Please suggest. as per my understanding , I don't think it is required for me since everything has been done already. Kindly suggest.
you don't need it. you have your visa and copr ..all you need to do now is to land.

Moe2010

Star Member
Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
Doc's Request.
Feb 2015
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
Sep 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Feb 2015
Med's Done....
March 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 2015
Hi All,
I need your thoughts on 3 cities in SWO. I landed a couple of months back and returned back to Dubai. My company now is willing to support me to relocate me to our offices in Canada. They have informed me that there is an opening in Burlington, Kitchener and London. I know London is very small so i am contemplating between Burlington and Kitchener. I am a big city kind of a guy and i like cities that are active, full of opportunities, multinational, and most importantly safe. I also appreciate being close to big cities like Toronto or the NY and the US.

Any thoughts to share on Burlington and Kitchener? I like how close Burlington is to the US, Toronto and Nigara Falls. but from what i read it seems like a very small city with no much business in it.

I would appreciate your input on this and best of luck to all of those looking for a job.

alimsn

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
Updated Schedule A Request 17/3/2015
Nomination.....
PER 11/12/2014
AOR Received.
2nd Line Update 10-MAR-2015-Started Processing
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
07-07-2015
Med's Done....
12-07-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-07-2015, submitted 23-7-2015-Riyadh
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2015
LANDED..........
21-09-2015
Moe2010 said:
Hi All,
I need your thoughts on 3 cities in SWO. I landed a couple of months back and returned back to Dubai. My company now is willing to support me to relocate me to our offices in Canada. They have informed me that there is an opening in Burlington, Kitchener and London. I know London is very small so i am contemplating between Burlington and Kitchener. I am a big city kind of a guy and i like cities that are active, full of opportunities, multinational, and most importantly safe. I also appreciate being close to big cities like Toronto or the NY and the US.

Any thoughts to share on Burlington and Kitchener? I like how close Burlington is to the US, Toronto and Nigara Falls. but from what i read it seems like a very small city with no much business in it.

I would appreciate your input on this and best of luck to all of those looking for a job.
Please choose one and give me the other two to choose :)

asitmonty

Sep 5, 2013
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Landing in Canada - Land Crossing from US with Car (exporting)[/size][/size]

I didnt find a detailed topic on crossing from US with a car and exporting the car. so here is my experience from yesterday (Nov 6 2015). You might benefit from what I learned the hard way.

Exporting car from USA

1. 72 hours notice
you need to inform the US border crossing port (where YOU intend to cross into Canada) at least 72 hours in advance.
Most offices allow you to inform using email. 72 hours start from the time they respond back (usually between 8am-5 pm on business days. they will not respond after business hours, weekends or federal holidays. so consider that as well. You can expect them to respond back the next business day though.

I am not completely sure, but at the export office, my paperwork was getting done, when another couple came in seeking to export. the officer told them at least 3 hours wait. They were not american citizens but might be from one of the visa exempt countries (red passport). But inquire and make sure if there is really that option of 3 hours. Again, I overheard and could be out of context about it.

2. Information needed by them
Things needed in your email (also listed when you call the border crossing's export office and you have to call them to get clear details). the list below is for a preparation purpose only and can be considered complete only for Buffalo Vehicle Export office (where I crossed in 2015). But you need to verify. All info in this post is for informational purposes only.
  • VIN
  • AES ITN
    • US Citizens can file online on AES Direct, but non citizens must file using a freight forwarder or broker
    • You can file for $45 USD with an online freight forwarder
      I used aesforvehicles.com. They filed my AES ITN in about 3 hours. Call them after you fill out the online form.
    • EIN Field - Use your foreign passport number if you are not a citizen. Citizens can apply and get it for free.
    • It is extremely important to have the Title Document number and the VIN number correct to the letter/digit.
  • Date of Crossing
    • MUST match the date in ITN
    • remember that you can only cross between 8 am-5 pm on a business day after the 72 hours are over
    • If, for any reason, you cannot cross on the date, you must change the date on AES at least 24 hours before your new crossing time. The freight forwarder typically allows two free date changes and will charge additional for 3 or more changes

After you send email to them, wait for a response from them. I had sent mail Tuesday night, and they responded back Wednesday early morning (since November is a low season for Buffalo). The 72 hours start from their email reply, not from your email sent time.

4. Day of crossing
On day of crossing, you will need
  • VIN
  • AES ITN
  • original title,
  • release of lien on bank letterhead
    (if your title shows a lien that has been paid off), and the print out of the mail from the customs.
  • Printout of the email sent by them (including your original email)

It takes roughly 10 mins for them to do the paperwork (not including any wait times because of people in queue. I didnt find any though. Try crossing before noon to avoid the afternoon crowds)

The export office is located right before the crossing. Put the address of the export office on your GPS. it is typically on the side of the entry from Canada (not on the side where exiting US). DO NOT drive past the export office into Canada. There are no signs for export office when you are exiting from USA. so you will miss it unless you put it in GPS

I made the mistake and was looking for a US border post for vehicle export. there is none. We are talking about just opposite lanes, but trust me it is a big difference. You cannot turn back once you cross a certain point, and it is some additional inconvenience to do that mistake.
If you do end up missing the export office, it is ok. inform the official at Canadian border that you are making your landing as PR but missed the vehicle export office.
  • He will ask you to go inside the Canadian immigration building and do the paperwork for permanent residency with Canadian Immigration first (including importing your vehicle).
  • inform the officer about your problem once you get inside the immigration building. once you complete the landing, you will take your car, turn around and drive back to the US side.
  • at US border, irrespective of your visa status, DO NOT SEEK ENTRY into USA. Instead, you will be doing what they call a "flagpole". This is important because without your PR card, you are not supposed to exit Canada. If you must, then you have to carry some kind of document from Canadian immigrations. Google to find more info on that.
  • Continuing above bullet, at the US border, inform the officer that you are not seeking entry into the US. you only want to export your Car since you missed it. Your PR in Canada is already approved, and after export, you will turn back and go into Canada. He will probably retain your passport, and let you drive to a side, park your car, finish export procedure at the export office at the border. After you are done, you will go to the US immigration building where an officer will give you your passport back with a white paper mentioning that you have not entered US.
  • Turn around again, drive into Canada, mention to the immigration official at Canada booth that you are importing your Car. He will give you a yellow paper, which you will then show inside the Canadian immigration building to get the import completed. you will get a receipt and more papers.

Now you know, why you should avoid missing the export office ;D

check these two links for more details. when it comes to immigration, reading as many info pages you can find does make life easier.

help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/307/~/requirements-for-exporting-a-vehicle-(including%3A-snowmobile,-atv-and-motorcycle)
cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Exporting%20Vehicles%20To%20Canada%20%28Census%20Bureau%29.pdf

asitmonty

Sep 5, 2013
Ground Shipping from USA to Canada as Permanent Resident
information as of Nov 2015

Based on my research, I think there are a few options (in order of personal preference, least first)
Personally I think option 3 is the best for long distance move (which I used). If you are moving shorter distance, for e.g. from NY, it will not apply to you.

• 1. sell everything except whatever can fit inside the car you are driving
    This option is probably the one that looks the best, easiest but really is the most expensive. more about that at the end of this post.

• 2. $1200 - Rent a Penske Truck (and a tow trailer if you have a car as well)
    small risk but doable especially if you have less than 8 hours of drive from your city to Canada. I was travelling from Austin, TX. 1600 miles and 24 hours on road (excluding night stays, breaks, etc.)

This is the cheapest, but you have to consider the inconvenience of taking exits with such a big cargo (truck + car trailer), the slow speed at which you have to drive to avoid swings and not being able to take breaks whenever and wherever you want. plus you have to preplan hotels along the route to make sure they have enough parking and can accomodate the big cargo.

$1200 - cost for cross country driving from Texas to Toronto
    • One way Truck rental cost for 3 days- $275
    • Tow trailer for my car - $250 (do not use a tow dolly. it will swing too much)
    • Gas for 1600 miles - $400
    • Night stays (3 nights) - $180
    • moving dollies and pads- $15

• 3. $2600 - use a container like upack, ubox(provided by uhaul) or pod. Google to find more details about each.
    And then drive your car by yourself

I used upack (terminal to terminal). depends on who gives you the cheapest option and how much stuff you want to move. Based on what I reasearched, for a 1 bedroom, you can easily load enough using one container. For reference, the size of the container is almost as big as the back of a 10' uhaul truck stacked upside(9'X7'X6')

Costs around $2600 (1 Bedroom things from Texas to Toronto) and, of course, the time of 2-3 days.

$2000 USD - end to end cost of container (upack in my case)
    • $250 - loading your things from your home to the nearest upack location. trucks and moving labor for 3 hours
    • $250 - to get your things back from upack location in Canada to your home in Canada
    • $1500 - upack charges for transport + canadian customs $60

it might be worthwhile to have the container delivered to your home since it will save on the moving time and is more convenient for almost the same price of $500 that your movers and trucks can incur.

$600 - additional cost if you are driving your car
    • $400 - Net cost of 1600 miles in car ( @ 25cents/mile as published by AAA study, includes maintenance, gas, tires, depreciation per mile)
    • Night stays (3 nights) - $180
    (use a craigslist ad to find someone to drive with you and recover some of this expense. be careful though. you have to verify the person as there might be bad guys who can harm you. I did not take a person with me just to avoid hassles)

I think option 3 works out as the most economical and time saver.
    Consider a big item like mattress. You can probably sell your existing one for $150 and buy a new IKEA item for $400. But the upack box option costs you approx. $2000 for 300 cu. ft of space. that is less than $7 per cu ft.

a queen bed is approx. 7'X1/2'X5' ~ 20 cu ft. @ $7 per cu ft, the transport cost will be $140. so you do save more by transporting especially if you have an expensive good quality mattress in USA. similar logic applies to most other good quality items.

even if you plan to replace with craigslist, remember that you have to probably visit 3-4 ads in person before you finalize one product. time invested in online search over a couple weeks and the time to schedule, drive and see the item. even if you consider about 5 hours total for getting each of the big items, for entire household goods, it will be a lot of visits and lots of time investment.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RanjitNagi said:
Hi All,

In my VISA, i have validity till Feb 2016. So, would there be issue if I land in Jan 2016?
Will immigration ask reason for landing late?

Regards
No, and no. You can land anytime up until your visa expiry date.

kamy85

Star Member
May 19, 2015
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
SL
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-12-2014
Nomination.....
29-12-2014
AOR Received.
13-03-2015
IELTS Request
29-12-2014
File Transfer...
21-02-2015
Med's Request
25-05-2015
Med's Done....
30-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
Guys,

Reconnecting with this forum after landing on 29th Oct 2015.

Things are not that easy as they seem here, weather is getting extreme and would snow in 2 weeks maybe. Jobs are there but market is very very competitive & graduates / engineers from within canada are preferred by employers (i may be wrong).

all the seniors, is there any portal where jobs are being posted for HR / IT etc or link on this forum. If yes, kindly share.

great day

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
kamy85 said:
weather is getting extreme and would snow in 2 weeks maybe.
November or even december's weather is far from extreme..wait till february, that is winter in its "best" form.