+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

hinakhan

Star Member
Jul 29, 2011
I am planning to land Toronto in August 2014 (from Pakistan). Would I need to apply for PR card on airport or after landing/coming out of airport by mail? And how much time normally they take to send PR card ?

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
canimmigrate said:
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to do short landing from US and I've some questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm was in US on work visa and had to come back for submitting pps. Now that I got my pps back, my employer wants me to travel back to complete my assignment. So, I'm planning to do short landing from US. I'm planning to go and stay in Canada for 4 weeks and apply PR card in urgency. I checked on the CIC that I can request PR card in urgency if stay is greater than 3 weeks. Then I'll go back to US and stay for 6mth-1yr and then permanently move to Canada. I'll leave my spouse in Canada and she will look for a job and I'll move when possible.

My question is it possible? Has anyone done like this?
PR Card: In case they are not able to send my PR card in 4 weeks. Can it cause any kind of problem? Is there any chance that they call again for something like signature, photos or any other reason? My wife will stay back so she can bring my PR card to me. But since it is a single entry visa I'm a little worried.
Is it possible to enter Canada from US without the PR card. Checking the CIC website it seems we can enter Canada based on COPR record if we enter in our private vehicle. Although, meaning of private vehicle is not very clear. should the vehicle be in my name etc. has anyone done this?

Settling 6yh-1yr after landing: I'm planning to permanently move after 6mth-1yr of landing. Can it cause any kind of problems? I don't want to loose PR for 1yr stay in US.

thanks. Can
Okay first thing, the process for application of PR card no longer applies to new immigrants and hence the urgent processing also does not apply.

If your spouse will remain in Canada, then there is no problem what so ever. The cards will come in regular postal mail and she can send it to you in the US.

You will not have any problem returning to Canada with just your COPR paper if you are driving in from the US. Some members have said that rent-a-car is not considered private vehicle for this purpose, but I am not sure about this. Also if you are driving a car and tell the CBSA officer you are going into Canada permanently, then you must import the car into Canada.

Some CBSA officers are said to frown on this practice and are known to tell immigrants that they will mark in the computer that you cannot enter Canada again without first getting your PR cards (but they still cannot stop you from entering in that trip).

Regards,

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
hinakhan said:
I am planning to land Toronto in August 2014 (from Pakistan). Would I need to apply for PR card on airport or after landing/coming out of airport by mail? And how much time normally they take to send PR card ?
PR Card is issued automatically to ALL new Permanent Residents. There is no need to apply.
Your COPR will be used by CIC to create the cards. You just need to provide Canadian mailing address to immigration officials when you arrive in Canada...(at the airport).

PR Card processing times are here on CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp (80 days current processing time)

Unfortunately it takes 80 days for PR Cards to be received (times change so always check website, and no way to expedite this).

Mani8585

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Hi Guys,

Quick question:

After landing will I be able to check PR card status?

Can I see when card is issued so I can expect delivery date?

Thanks

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Mani8585 said:
Hi Guys,

Quick question:

After landing will I be able to check PR card status?

Can I see when card is issued so I can expect delivery date?

Thanks
No there is no such facility.

You can call CIC to find out the status of the PR cards.

Regards,

jamshaid79

Apr 21, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-10
Doc's Request.
12-10-10
AOR Received.
06-06-11
IELTS Request
08-05-10
File Transfer...
23-04-12
Med's Request
12-02-14
Med's Done....
22-03-14
Passport Req..
04-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2014
LANDED..........
May 2014
guys, i am in pakistan now a days enjoying my holidays, while i am here i thought of making a FDD from here, now all my savings was n UAE which i transferred to Pakistan through (Huaindi) non custom payment method, while i am asking some exchange houses for FDD they are asking for the POF etc, i showed them my UAE bank statement but they did not accept, they said as per state bank rule we need POF from pakistan ?????? WTF any ways, my point is, as i am going on immigrant visa do the rule implement to us that we have cannot take more then CAD 5000 each adult and CAD 2500 each kid ?????

Need urgent replies.......

anyone pass through this from pakistan in the recent. seniors, juniors all any ideas ?????

desirecanada

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
Dear members,

I am landing in Edmonton and have a job offer.I did not had the offer during application for FSW. So request your inputs from senior members/members who have landed for my queries-

1.do I need to show 13K CAD or my Job Offer is sufficient to show for proof of funds

2.Also for my PR card can I give a temporary address on POE and than will I be able to update it once I get a permanent accomodation for myself.

As I am flying next week so any help/inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Again

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
desirecanada said:
Dear members,

I am landing in Edmonton and have a job offer.I did not had the offer during application for FSW. So request your inputs from senior members/members who have landed for my queries-

1.do I need to show 13K CAD or my Job Offer is sufficient to show for proof of funds

2.Also for my PR card can I give a temporary address on POE and than will I be able to update it once I get a permanent accomodation for myself.

As I am flying next week so any help/inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Again
u need to show funds as landing FSW and not pnp.
Yes u can update ur addres later

Mani8585

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have an urgent question:

Does immigration officer check eye color during landing process. The eye color is wrong on my wife's COPR. Should I tell them to correct it right now and send new COPR or they can do it at the airport?

Thanks

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Mani8585 said:
Hi Guys,

Does immigration officer check eye color during landing process. The eye color is wrong on my wife's COPR. Should I tell them to correct it right now and send new COPR or they can do it at the airport?

Thanks
They didn't check ours ! Write to the VO and inform them. You might be better off getting it fixed if there is time.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Mani8585 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Ask the officer to correct it when you arrive in Canada. This is minor. Nothing to be worried about.
Minor changes can be corrected by Immigration Canada officials at the POE(Port-of-Entry(airport)).

Mani8585

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Thanks Canvis.

What are your thoughts about Middle Name. If someone have middle name in Passport but not on COPR, is it a problem which need to be taken care of before landing?

Thanks

sarat104

Star Member
Jan 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov, 2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
Feb, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May be June, 2012
Med's Request
December 2, 2013
Med's Done....
April 1, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2014
LANDED..........
July 15, 2014
Finallyyyyyy after a wait of about 30 odd months....I got the PPR...they gave us 60 days time...

Experts, I have a question now...CIC told us in the e-mail that they can print our visas at a different office, if required...how long do you think it will take if i opt that? because I was living in US when I had applied but now I am back in India...so want guidance and suggestion from you people....I already have US visitor visa, but if I can get it printed in New Delhi within no time then I would like to do that....

Thank you all for your help throughout this time...and I will keep you posted regarding my landing

Sarat

desirecanada

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
nekeol said:
u need to show funds as landing FSW and not pnp.
Yes u can update ur addres later
thanks nekeol . so basically even though I have an employment offer, I will have to carry 12K CAD as Proff of funds

thanks in advance for the clarification....

Mani8585

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
sarat104 said:
Finallyyyyyy after a wait of about 30 odd months....I got the PPR...they gave us 60 days time...

Experts, I have a question now...CIC told us in the e-mail that they can print our visas at a different office, if required...how long do you think it will take if i opt that? because I was living in US when I had applied but now I am back in India...so want guidance and suggestion from you people....I already have US visitor visa, but if I can get it printed in New Delhi within no time then I would like to do that....

Thank you all for your help throughout this time...and I will keep you posted regarding my landing

Sarat
Hi Sarat,

First of all Congratulations!!!!

Did they ask for photos in PPR email?

Thanks