+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

cnonline

Star Member
Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent on May 23, 2013. Received by CIC on May 28, 2013
AOR Received.
CPPO does not send
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
Aug 16, 2013 (@ time of PER)
Med's Request
Nov 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 23, 2013. PP sent on Dec 30, 2013, received by CPPO on Jan 6, 2014.
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2013 --- Valid until Dec 5, 2014.
LANDED..........
Mar 08, 2014
anthcott@yahoo.com said:
Hello All, My wife and I just got the permanent residency visa and COPR documents from CPC-Ottawa and they have given us the beginning of May as deadline to land in Canada. We plan to initially go to Canada and take care of the landing formalities and then later immigrate but still not decided when exactly. Someone who just entered Canada to finish landing formalities mentioned that he was not issued the PR Card as the IO said the PR Card would be issued once he moves in permanently into Canada (not sure whether this person had a mailing address in Canada). So if I have a mailing address in Canada will the PR Card be mailed to the address even if it is not my permanent move during my landing?
Hi Anthcott,

That person was me. Although I had mailing address in Canada, the IO did not take it. The IO provided us with a IMM 5456 form - Address notification form. The next business day, I logged online to my ECAS and updated mailing address of Canada, I am now all set. I am hoping to receive PR card in 51 days from time of address change effect.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
sam439 said:
I have some queries and seek your help now.

I got the PR this month and I am travelling next month to canada alone. My spouse and my children will accompany me later after 3-4 months. My destination in canada is Ottawa and I booked the ticket with British Airways. My route is India-London(heathrow)-Toronto-Ottawa. So I wanted to ask you that will my immigration(landing procedure) will be done at Toronto or Ottawa as I have 4 hours connecting flight at toronto to ottawa. So I doubt my flight from toronto to Ottawa will be domestic one in canada.

One more thing as a family of 4, I have to carry around $21000. So minimum how much funds can I carry?and if i am carrying part of it with me then will my spouse has to carry the remaining funds when they travel?or else if I carry whole amount with me now i.e $21000 then my spouse doesn't has to carry any pof later?

Thanks
only u need to carry all POF and not your family. ur family dont need to show POF but u have to

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sam439 said:

I got the PR this month and I am travelling next month to canada alone. My spouse and my children will accompany me later after 3-4 months. My destination in canada is Ottawa and I booked the ticket with British Airways. My route is India-London(heathrow)-Toronto-Ottawa. So I wanted to ask you that will my immigration(landing procedure) will be done at Toronto or Ottawa as I have 4 hours connecting flight at toronto to ottawa. So I doubt my flight from toronto to Ottawa will be domestic one in canada.
Your landing will be done in Toronto and the connection from Toronto to Ottawa is a domestic flight.

Bazinga

Aug 20, 2013
Hello members,
Been lurking for a while. This is a great community with a lot of experience and information. I’d like some advice regarding the landing (Calgary) of 3 family members – my parents and sister. I am not part of it.

Here is some background information;

1. My parents (principal applicant) will be flying in to Calgary via Toronto from Pakistan. My sibling (dependent) is currently living and studying in Toronto. All 3 have been issued their visas and supporting landing documents
2. Parents will stay in Toronto for a couple of days and then the 3 of them will fly to Calgary together for the landing formality
3. Due to work and commitments back at home, my parents may not be able to stay in Canada for more than 15 to 20 days. Trip duration will be divided between Calgary and Toronto. This landing procedure is a formality as the visa will expire soon, so they will return to Canada after wrapping up affairs

Here are my questions. Kindly shed some light based on your experience and facts;

1. I have gathered that the PR application process needs to be done upon landing. But in their case, is this to be done in Toronto or Calgary? Since they land first in Toronto, is that where everything begins as opposed to in Calgary?

2. Will my sister be allowed to ‘land’ the same way my parents will land? i.e. by air even though for her it will be a local flight from Toronto to Calgary?

3. If the parents land on a Sunday, will the SIN and PR booths/offices still be operational at the Airport?

4. I understand it takes an average of 6 weeks to have the PR card mailed. But the parents may not be able to stay that long in Canada. Will it be acceptable if the mailing address provided for the PR cards is that of my sister’s as she will be in Canada (Toronto) for much longer? It may be quite difficult for the principal applicant to return just to collect the PR card. Do PR cards have to be collected in person?

5. Incase the above is not acceptable and they are unable to extend their stay, re-entering Canada is a normal visa application procedure right?

6. Since they will not be staying for long, they will only be carrying their essentials for the duration of the stay – so they will not have much to declare at all. In that case, the ‘goods to follow’ form will be applicable and valid in the future when they plan the eventual permanent shift to Calgary, is this correct? Or is it a one-time opportunity to have duties and taxes waived?

I hope I have been able to explain the scenario effectively - I'm possibly confused about a few things. I am looking forward to help in any form.

Thank you for reading.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Bazinga said:
Hello members,
Been lurking for a while. This is a great community with a lot of experience and information. I'd like some advice regarding the landing (Calgary) of 3 family members – my parents and sister. I am not part of it.

1. My parents (principal applicant) will be flying in to Calgary via Toronto from Pakistan. My sibling (dependent) is currently living and studying in Toronto. All 3 have been issued their visas and supporting landing documents
2. Parents will stay in Toronto for a couple of days and then the 3 of them will fly to Calgary together for the landing formality
3. Due to work and commitments back at home, my parents may not be able to stay in Canada for more than 15 to 20 days. Trip duration will be divided between Calgary and Toronto. This landing procedure is a formality as the visa will expire soon, so they will return to Canada after wrapping up affairs

Here are my questions. Kindly shed some light based on your experience and facts;

1. I have gathered that the PR application process needs to be done upon landing. But in their case, is this to be done in Toronto or Calgary? Since they land first in Toronto, is that where everything begins as opposed to in Calgary? Toronto

2. Will my sister be allowed to ‘land' the same way my parents will land? i.e. by air even though for her it will be a local flight from Toronto to Calgary? No, not unless she leaves Canada and enters with them

3. If the parents land on a Sunday, will the SIN and PR booths/offices still be operational at the Airport? PR card is part of the landing process and will be done by the immigration officer, your parents only have to give their address in Canada for PR card delivery (nothing more). SIN is issued by Services Canada and the booth is closed on Sunday. They can just go to any Services Canada office later and get the SIN number.

4. I understand it takes an average of 6 weeks to have the PR card mailed. But the parents may not be able to stay that long in Canada. Will it be acceptable if the mailing address provided for the PR cards is that of my sister's as she will be in Canada (Toronto) for much longer? It may be quite difficult for the principal applicant to return just to collect the PR card. Do PR cards have to be collected in person? On rare occasions they select the PR card of one of the applicants for physical collection, otherwise it is normally delivered through regular postal mail and no one has to sign for it.

5. Incase the above is not acceptable and they are unable to extend their stay, re-entering Canada is a normal visa application procedure right? Even without PR cards, your parents will officially be permanent residents of Canada, so they will need to apply for a Travel Document to come back without a PR card: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

6. Since they will not be staying for long, they will only be carrying their essentials for the duration of the stay – so they will not have much to declare at all. In that case, the ‘goods to follow' form will be applicable and valid in the future when they plan the eventual permanent shift to Calgary, is this correct? Or is it a one-time opportunity to have duties and taxes waived? It is a one time opportunity to declare goods to follow without any tax, however these goods can come much later and in installments as well.

I hope I have been able to explain the scenario effectively - I'm possibly confused about a few things. I am looking forward to help in any form.

Thank you for reading.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Bazinga said:
Hello members,
Been lurking for a while. This is a great community with a lot of experience and information. I'd like some advice regarding the landing (Calgary) of 3 family members – my parents and sister. I am not part of it.

1. I have gathered that the PR application process needs to be done upon landing. But in their case, is this to be done in Toronto or Calgary? Since they land first in Toronto, is that where everything begins as opposed to in Calgary?

2. Will my sister be allowed to ‘land' the same way my parents will land? i.e. by air even though for her it will be a local flight from Toronto to Calgary?

3. If the parents land on a Sunday, will the SIN and PR booths/offices still be operational at the Airport?

4. I understand it takes an average of 6 weeks to have the PR card mailed. But the parents may not be able to stay that long in Canada. Will it be acceptable if the mailing address provided for the PR cards is that of my sister's as she will be in Canada (Toronto) for much longer? It may be quite difficult for the principal applicant to return just to collect the PR card. Do PR cards have to be collected in person?

5. Incase the above is not acceptable and they are unable to extend their stay, re-entering Canada is a normal visa application procedure right?

6. Since they will not be staying for long, they will only be carrying their essentials for the duration of the stay – so they will not have much to declare at all. In that case, the ‘goods to follow' form will be applicable and valid in the future when they plan the eventual permanent shift to Calgary, is this correct? Or is it a one-time opportunity to have duties and taxes waived?

Thank you for reading.
Hi Bazinga,

Your parents will land when they arrive by air. They can give your sister's address for PR Card mailing. There is no need to worry or to advise immigration that they'll be here temporarily.

Once your parents land (on day they arrive), they will be PR's once they come out of airport.

Once your parents land, your sister should go to Niagara Falls (rainbow bridge) with all her PR documents, and land there.
She cannot do it at airport as she is in-Canada.
At rainbow bridge, CBSA will ask her to go to USA side and get an "adminstrative refusal".....don't worry this is common, people call this "flag-poling", the USA side will give her refusal letter, and then she comes back to Canadian side, gives them the refusal letter (which is basically proof that she left Canada) and then they will process her landing.

I landed the same way back in 2007 at rainbow bridge (please dress for the weather!).

If parents land on weekend, the SIN booth may be closed at airport. But they can apply it next day at Service Canada office in Toronto.
Give her address for all PR Cards. Once cards are received, either courier them to Pak via reliable courier, and/or send it via someone who is going to Pakistan....

they should complete and bring the goods to follow list if there is stuff coming in later.

I have never heard of CIC asking a newcomer to pickup card in person. Usually that only happens in case of renewals. Pr Card will be mailed to Canadian address provided upon landing.
So let your parents land, and next day your sister should make a trip to Niagara Falls and do the landing. Don't bother calling CIC to make appointments as it takes too long and visa may expire. Let her go in daytime (10am, etc) so that she can land without delay, but only after principal applicant has landed.

Hope this is helpful. Congratulations on parents getting PR. I recently went through same welcoming of parents/siblings so it sure is a moment of great happiness and joy, in reuniting family.

Bazinga

Aug 20, 2013
rizmayo and canvis2006,

Thank you for your prompt and informative replies. I will take into account all that you have shared with me and I'll be sure to share the experience once everything works out.

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Included with initial application
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
canvis2006 said:
Hi Bazinga,

Your parents will land when they arrive by air. They can give your sister's address for PR Card mailing. There is no need to worry or to advise immigration that they'll be here temporarily.

Once your parents land (on day they arrive), they will be PR's once they come out of airport.

Once your parents land, your sister should go to Niagara Falls (rainbow bridge) with all her PR documents, and land there.
She cannot do it at airport as she is in-Canada.
At rainbow bridge, CBSA will ask her to go to USA side and get an "adminstrative refusal".....don't worry this is common, people call this "flag-poling", the USA side will give her refusal letter, and then she comes back to Canadian side, gives them the refusal letter (which is basically proof that she left Canada) and then they will process her landing.

I landed the same way back in 2007 at rainbow bridge (please dress for the weather!).

If parents land on weekend, the SIN booth may be closed at airport. But they can apply it next day at Service Canada office in Toronto.
Give her address for all PR Cards. Once cards are received, either courier them to Pak via reliable courier, and/or send it via someone who is going to Pakistan....

they should complete and bring the goods to follow list if there is stuff coming in later.

I have never heard of CIC asking a newcomer to pickup card in person. Usually that only happens in case of renewals. Pr Card will be mailed to Canadian address provided upon landing.
So let your parents land, and next day your sister should make a trip to Niagara Falls and do the landing. Don't bother calling CIC to make appointments as it takes too long and visa may expire. Let her go in daytime (10am, etc) so that she can land without delay, but only after principal applicant has landed.

Hope this is helpful. Congratulations on parents getting PR. I recently went through same welcoming of parents/siblings so it sure is a moment of great happiness and joy, in reuniting family.
Seconded!
nice contribution & explanation canvis
thumbs up!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canvis2006 said:
That's true. The only case where they might be asked on come is if there is a problem with their pictures.
Worst case scenario, even if their PR cards get lost in the mail and then don't get them, they can return to Canada by applying for travel documents through the embassy.

sam439

Star Member
Apr 15, 2013
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2013
AOR Received.
16-09-2013
File Transfer...
26-10-2013
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2014
LANDED..........
Will be by April 2014
sam439 said:

One more thing as a family of 4, I have to carry around $21000. So minimum how much funds can I carry?and if i am carrying part of it with me then will my spouse has to carry the remaining funds when they travel?or else if I carry whole amount with me now i.e $21000 then my spouse doesn't has to carry any pof later?

Thanks
steaky said:
Your landing will be done in Toronto and the connection from Toronto to Ottawa is a domestic flight.
Thanks for the reply

The duration of my connecting flight to ottawa at Toronto is for 4 hours. So i am worried that my immigration landing procedure will be complete within this 4 hours or do I have to change my flight route?
Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sam439 said:
Thanks for the reply

The duration of my connecting flight to ottawa at Toronto is for 4 hours. So i am worried that my immigration landing procedure will be complete within this 4 hours or do I have to change my flight route?
Thanks.
It only took 30mins for this poster. Therefore, no worries:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-in-canada-all-you-need-to-know-t36735.0.html;msg2984579#msg2984579

KingfisherStrong

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2013
Doc's Request.
CC(29/09/2013)
Nomination.....
PER(02/10/2013)
AOR Received.
AOR(29/10/2013)
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
MR(24/12/2013)
Med's Done....
Med - (30/12/2013), Med Update in ECAS - (04/01/2014)
Interview........
DD (RPRF) encashed - 14/01/2014
Passport Req..
24/12/2013
VISA ISSUED...
18/02/2014
LANDED..........
NA
Do we need to fill the PR Card form (IMM 5444) form before landing in Canada or the PR Card form will be given at the Canada airport Immigration office at POE(Point of entry) ??

Please reply...

Thanks !!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KingfisherStrong said:
Do we need to fill the PR Card form (IMM 5444) form before landing in Canada or the PR Card form will be given at the Canada airport Immigration office at POE(Point of entry) ??

Please reply...

Thanks !!
You don't have to fill out a form beforehand when you land.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
KingfisherStrong said:

Please reply...

Thanks !!
New immigrants are no longer required to fill form IMM5444, it is for renewal of PR card only.

Regards,

KingfisherStrong

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2013
Doc's Request.
CC(29/09/2013)
Nomination.....
PER(02/10/2013)
AOR Received.
AOR(29/10/2013)
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
MR(24/12/2013)
Med's Done....
Med - (30/12/2013), Med Update in ECAS - (04/01/2014)
Interview........
DD (RPRF) encashed - 14/01/2014
Passport Req..
24/12/2013
VISA ISSUED...
18/02/2014
LANDED..........
NA
rizmayo said:
New immigrants are no longer required to fill form IMM5444, it is for renewal of PR card only.

Regards,
Thanks a lot Rizmayo....

What are the steps at Immigration office at POE ??
I ve heard that Immigration officer ask that how long we will stay in Canada ?? What should one say if he has to come back within one week?