+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

smiling_face

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Landed
CJ_an said:
Hi all!! Pls advise how long can we stay outside Canada after landing?
After receiving the visa we plan to just land for 1 month and come back to Dubai and settle for good maybe after a year or two.
You'll find two relevant posts in the link below:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/dubai-applicants-lets-network-get-connected-t29519.11385.html

cableguy78

Apr 20, 2012
Hello Everyone,

First of all, Thank you SO MUCH QORAX for putting such a nicely detailed explanation of Landing as PR in Canada. It was extremely informative.

I am an indian citizen in USA on a work permit. I am planning to do my landing in Montreal (QSW) in November 2012. I had a few questions:

1) I wanted to come back to USA after about a week after landing in Montreal. I know in the forum it says you can leave immediately after landing but what all paperwork must I complete before I leave? I think three things are important - PR card (which happens at landing); SIN card (at a CIC office); and health card. And is a week enough to do that, or should I plan for more time?

2) I wanted to come to USA to finish my work here back in a weeks time from montreal, and leave by Jan of 2013 back to Montreal and settle there permanently. So would it be better to just wait for the PR card to come to the address I give in Canada (my best friend's address and he can mail me the PR card) and then enter back. I am assuming if I do my landing in November - my PR card should come to me by Jan/Feb of 2013.

3) just to be safe is there some other papers that I can file for in the interim of getting my PR card and travel outside and come back in to Canada? Where can I get information on it.

I would like to thank anyone in advance who can answer some/all of these queries.

Regards
cableguy

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cableguy78 said:
1) I wanted to come back to USA after about a week after landing in Montreal. I know in the forum it says you can leave immediately after landing but what all paperwork must I complete before I leave? I think three things are important - PR card (which happens at landing); SIN card (at a CIC office); and health card. And is a week enough to do that, or should I plan for more time?

The PR card gets applied for as you land as long as you give an address in Quebec, then it will be mailed there. You can apply for the SIN card after your landing, you get the number right away, the card in the mail in about 2 weeks but you can also leave this until January when you are back to stay. There is a 3 month waiting period for a health card during which you must be living in Quebec so you can not apply for that right after your landing because you are leaving again.

2) I wanted to come to USA to finish my work here back in a weeks time from montreal, and leave by Jan of 2013 back to Montreal and settle there permanently. So would it be better to just wait for the PR card to come to the address I give in Canada (my best friend's address and he can mail me the PR card) and then enter back. I am assuming if I do my landing in November - my PR card should come to me by Jan/Feb of 2013.

Your friend can mail your PR card to you but if your PR card does not arrive by the time you want to go back to Canada to settle: If you are visa exempt, fly to Canada and enter on your landing papers. If you are not visa exempt, either enter by land border in a car or get a PR travel document in a Canadian embassy in the US.

3) just to be safe is there some other papers that I can file for in the interim of getting my PR card and travel outside and come back in to Canada? Where can I get information on it.

Here are the application forms for a PR travel document: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

cableguy78

Apr 20, 2012
Thank you so much for answering my questions Leon. I truly do appreciate it.

So after reading your comments - I can do my landing in November (say 15th) - apply for PR card at the landing POE. Stay in montreal for a week or two - sign up for the SIN card, get a number immediately and get the card mailed to my friends place (same as my PR card), then leave Montreal by 25 Nov, and come back into the USA, apply for travel document (to a Canadian embassy e.g. NY) and can stay in USA for a couple of months finish my work, and then i can go back to Montreal (say in middle of January, hopefully with my PR card OR the travel documents that applied in canadian embassy in USA OR with landing documents IN A CAR). Would that be one possible solution.

I just have one question - the last way of getting into Canada (in a CAR) can that be a bus (e.g. Greyhound) or train (via Amtrack)?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cableguy78 said:
Thank you so much for answering my questions Leon. I truly do appreciate it.

So after reading your comments - I can do my landing in November (say 15th) - apply for PR card at the landing POE. Stay in montreal for a week or two - sign up for the SIN card, get a number immediately and get the card mailed to my friends place (same as my PR card), then leave Montreal by 25 Nov, and come back into the USA, apply for travel document (to a Canadian embassy e.g. NY) and can stay in USA for a couple of months finish my work, and then i can go back to Montreal (say in middle of January, hopefully with my PR card OR the travel documents that applied in canadian embassy in USA OR with landing documents IN A CAR). Would that be one possible solution.

I just have one question - the last way of getting into Canada (in a CAR) can that be a bus (e.g. Greyhound) or train (via Amtrack)?
Your plan above should work just fine.

The car comment only applies if you are not visa exempt to Canada and do not have a PR card or a travel document.

The reason for that is that if you are not visa exempt, no airline or other commercial carrier whether Greyhound or Amtrak will take you to Canada without the proper visa, PR card of travel document but if you rent a car and drive yourself to the border, you would not have that problem. Once you are at the desk of Canada immigration with your passport with the PR visa and your landing documents and you explain that you had to leave before your PR card came, you will have no problems entering. If you do have a travel document or a PR card, you can of course fly, take a train, bus anything you want.

leoalive

Jul 12, 2011
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi VO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th Aug 2011 online MPNP
Nomination.....
Interviewed 22 aug 2011
AOR Received.
LOA received 23 Sep. 2011
IELTS Request
Already Submitted
File Transfer...
28 OCT 2011 AOR from NDVO 7 Nov.2011
Med's Request
14 NOv. 2011
Med's Done....
18 Nov.2011
Passport Req..
14 NOv. 2011
VISA ISSUED...
ECAS shows Decision Made 24 Sep. 2012 Passport back with Visa on 01 OCT 2012
LANDED..........
Within October 12
Hi Qorax,

u have done a remarkable job & I appreciate your concern for new comers. I have a query though. i am immigrating on PR basis under Manitoba Provincial Nominee Programme. I applied under family stream & i am preparing to land in october.
Now i need to know about the Proof of Funds we need to declare. Is there any essential minimum amount we have to provide at the time of landing/entry? well i was planning to bring about 6000 CAD with me. will that be ok ?

What if i bring 6000 CAD & show rest of funds in my savings account here in India.( for which i will bring my savings statement) ? Will that be ok ? is there any chance they can refuse me to enter on behalf of these circumstances ?

Many Regards

lepetit

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To Mr Qorax and all members already landed!

If things all go well, I will land in Canada in the first months next year. I have been a vocational teacher in my homeland, but I'm seriously considering switching career once landed there. What I have in mind now is some kinds of skilled trades (plumber, diesel mechanic or refrigeration technician, etc). But what's confusing me is that I don't know which skilled trade has the best prospect now in Canada, wage-wise, full-time employment-wise.

It's not quite a matter of personal choice and aptitude. As I've gone through tons of information over the internet, there are so many contradicting ones. For example, many official statistics, research papers from government or relating organizations say that auto mechanic, electrician, plumber, etc are "hot jobs" right now. But on the contrary, there are also a lot of newspaper articles, blogs, comments insisting that such occupations are (over)saturated, that such "hot jobs" statistics are simply misleading in order that they (the training institutions) will take away our money.

So, in your opinion, are the official statistics in Canada trustworthy enough to make your decision based on them. I can afford some funds for training for about 2 years (I guess) but what if on finishing the training I can't not land a job (not due to my ability but because of the poor job market in my chosen field). I'm a 37-years-old Asian male (planning to land in Surrey or Richmond, BC). I don't mind a hard blue-collar job at all. I just don't want to make a wrong decision. Pls give me some advice regarding this. As far as you have directly seen things in Canada, what are the skilled trades with best prospects right now?

All comments and advices are more than welcomed.
Thanks in advance. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lepetit said:
If things all go well, I will land in Canada in the first months next year. I have been a vocational teacher in my homeland, but I'm seriously considering switching career once landed there. What I have in mind now is some kinds of skilled trades (plumber, diesel mechanic or refrigeration technician, etc). But what's confusing me is that I don't know which skilled trade has the best prospect now in Canada, wage-wise, full-time employment-wise.
If you want to go into trades, do not register for a 1 or 2 year pre-employment course unless it is mandatory before starting an apprenticeship. These courses are a rip-off. They cost you money and waste your time while you could be earning money as an apprentice learning the same thing. I speak from personal experience.

You can read more about apprenticing in BC here: http://itabc.ca/Page430.aspx

Babybaba

Feb 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2010
AOR Received.
09-03-2011
Good day all,
We need some advice, we landed lastnight after a long , flight with plane trouble and other excitement. At the immigration counter, our COPR was signed and stamped and we were given the copy, however no forms were given to us for the PR card and nothing was mentioned about it...we went through customs and still nothing. Is the PR card automatic? DID we need to fill out forms in the airport? what should be do now? We're worried!! Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Babybaba said:
Good day all,
We need some advice, we landed lastnight after a long , flight with plane trouble and other excitement. At the immigration counter, our COPR was signed and stamped and we were given the copy, however no forms were given to us for the PR card and nothing was mentioned about it...we went through customs and still nothing. Is the PR card automatic? DID we need to fill out forms in the airport? what should be do now? We're worried!! Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks
Yes, it is. Relax, u r good !

lepetit

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If you want to go into trades, do not register for a 1 or 2 year pre-employment course unless it is mandatory before starting an apprenticeship. These courses are a rip-off. They cost you money and waste your time while you could be earning money as an apprentice learning the same thing. I speak from personal experience.

You can read more about apprenticing in BC here: http://itabc.ca/Page430.aspx
Dear Leon,

Thanks for your advice about pre-employment course! If you don't mind, pls share what trade training you had engage previously. How is the career prospect of that trade now? Do you have any idea about what particular trades are in high demand nowadays?

As I have mentioned earlier, I'm quite confused in choosing trades. Should I believe the official information from governments' sources? Or are many other counter-arguments painting the real picture of the job market in Canada right now? ???

Thank you very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was doing cabinetmaking but it is not a trade that pays very well. I have no idea what is in demand in BC. I suggest you look for apprenticeship positions and then you can find out.

lepetit said:
Thanks for your advice about pre-employment course! If you don't mind, pls share what trade training you had engage previously. How is the career prospect of that trade now? Do you have any idea about what particular trades are in high demand nowadays?

As I have mentioned earlier, I'm quite confused in choosing trades. Should I believe the official information from governments' sources? Or are many other counter-arguments painting the real picture of the job market in Canada right now? ???
I was doing cabinetmaking but it is not a trade that pays very well. I have no idea what is in demand in BC. I suggest you look for apprenticeship positions and then you can find out.

cableguy78

Apr 20, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Thank you Leon and Qorax, for such detailed information on landing.

On the basis of all the information I got on here, and some research on web, this is my plan of landing.

Enter to Canada -

I intend to catch amtrack on Oct 22/23 and reach Montreal in the evening. There is only one train that reaches montreal at 7 pm. I am assuming, at that time, I will be asked to fill paper work and maybe show documents. I am carrying with me - my passport with immigrant visa, COPR, two copies of detailed list of what I am carrying with me, and what I will be bringing later, and some money (US $) that I will change to CAN (not more than 500$), Bank statement showing enough money, birth certificate, my diplomas, drivers license (my home country and USA), my resume, AND PHOTOCOPIES OF EVERYTHING I MENTIONED. I will be staying at a friends place, who is from Montreal Quebec, and will be giving the address of my friend when asked about the delivery of the PR card.

I will stay in Montreal for 5 days, to open a bank account, file for a SIN card, and check for places to stay permanently and then return to USA via amtrack.

When back in USA, I will appy for TRV visa/paperwork at the canadian consulate in NYC so that if incase my PR card is taking time, I will have paperwork to travel back to Canada, by a commercial service, like plane or Train etc.

Here are my questions -

1) does this plan sound feasible? if not, could you please tell me what could be an issue?
2) My friend who lives in montreal, is his address enough for the PR card? If the POE officer realizes I am leaving in 4-5 days he might hold the paperwork for PR card. If that happens, I can still go ahead and apply for my SIN card and open a bank account in Canada?
3) SIN card - where would I need to go to, to apply for it in Montreal?
4) Once I complete my landing process through Amtrak station, and I am in Montreal, do I need to go to an immigration office for any reason? Does the SIN card application happens at an immigration office?
5) do I need to report to any Immigration center in Montreal after the landing process is done, for anything?

If anyone can help me with these questions, I would be highly obliged.

Thank & Regards
Cableguy

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) On 2nd thought, you should phone immigration and make sure it is certain that you can land if you travel by train. Amtrack gives the following contact info:

Canadian Resources
On the Internet: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca
By Telephone: 1-800-O-CANADA (1-800-622-6232)
In Person (in the USA): Canadian Embassy (Washington, DC) or the nearest Canadian consulate (Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Seattle)
In Person (in Canada): The nearest Citizenship and Immigration Canada or Revenue Canada office.

If you cross the land border, you would normally land where you cross and not in Montreal. I admit, I have never actually taken the train across the border so I do not know if they stop the train there and allow you time to do that or if they just speed through with some agents on board and do random checks on the way. Better make sure before you buy your tickets or you could fly there and take the train back.

2) If they decide to hold the PR card because you will not be there at the address when it arrives, they will register that you did not have an address when you landed. You can still phone CIC a day after you land and tell them that you did not have an address when you landed and give them the address of your friend again and see if it works. Sometimes it does. If they do hold the card, you still have your landing papers and with them, you can get a SIN and you can open a bank account.

3) You apply for a SIN at a Service Canada centre. Ask your friend where is the nearest one or go to http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-srch.cgi?ln=eng and search for one in Montreal.

4) Once you have landed, you do not go to any immigration office. In fact, the local offices are not even open for walk ins. If you have any reason to be there, they will give you an appointment.

5) No.

cableguy78

Apr 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your recommendations. I truly do appreciate it.

I have changed my plans a bit, I am flying into Montreal on Oct 27 and staying till Nov 1 and fly back. The ticket was extremely economical so I got it.

So I am assuming after reading all the forums, that it is a good idea to make the goods list before hand. I believe there is a form called B4A and B4E. Can anyone give me details on where I can get it? I would like to fill them out and be ready before I get to the counter at the immigration booth in the airport.

I have three different bank accounts so can I show all of them? I would have way more money than required, but thats good right?

Finally, the list of important documents - proof of funds, Passport with IMMIGRANT VISA, COPR papers, B4A/B4E, birth certificates, school and college degrees, drivers license, immunization papers, and photocopy of everything in a separate area (just incase), two passport size pictures for PR card. Anything else?

Also, if they dont accept my temporary stay in canada for applying my PR card, I can try calling the CIC office next day and try to give them the address. If not, in worst case scenario, when I permanently move to canada in january i apply for it then. Right?

While in montreal, I can go apply for SIN card at a Service Canada center, with the paperwork given with/without apply for the PR card. I dont need to make an appointment, right? I just show up in person over there between their hours of operation? Also I can go open a bank account over there on these papers. Stupid questions - So can i carry a cashiers check in American dollars? or do i have to convert them into Canadian dollars before I go to the bank?

Also, when I come back to USA i can go apply for travel papers at a canadian consulate and use those to enter into canada again if going by flight in early january. if not then i can also travel by a car and enter without the travel papers and just on the basis of me entering before and the paperwork done at that time.

Thank you soooooooo much. You have been such tremendous help to me.