+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aycan1998 said:
Landed in Canada today. Arrived at Immigration Section at 5 pm completed process by 5:45 pm. Lots of persons were waiting to be processed. Received information for new immigrants. Completed customs by 6:30 pm. Queue was also long at customs. Total time taken 1 hour and 30 minutes. Both immigration officer and customs officer was extremely helpful and very friendly. Although we declared funds in excess of $10,000, CO did not ask to see proof of funds.

Process was smooth, at the hotel in Toronto and will travel to Ottawa tomorrow.

From all the information on this website I was able to prepare myself for the entire process.

Thanks to all seniors!!!!!! ;D
Best wishes for you

sps

Oct 21, 2008
Hi,

I am planning to land on 31st october for landing formalities. I had some doubts

1. For POF can I carry US dollars travellers cheque (equivalant to Canadian dollars) as I do not plan to use them or encash them. Will be travelling back to India on 5th November.

2. Is there anything that I need to do with regard to my health card?

3. I have booked studio6 and they do not have airport pickup. Let me know the airport taxi services available.

Regards
SPS

ravs

Star Member
Sep 28, 2009
If you are going to land in Toronto ... then u can call Beck taxi services at 4167515555 ... they usually get the taxi within 5-10 mins after u hv placed an order.

You can get more information on the below website
http://www.becktaxi.com/

Also when u come out of airport you have some taxis waiting ..u can take that as well

sps said:
Hi,

I am planning to land on 31st october for landing formalities. I had some doubts

1. For POF can I carry US dollars travellers cheque (equivalant to Canadian dollars) as I do not plan to use them or encash them. Will be travelling back to India on 5th November.

3. I have booked studio6 and they do not have airport pickup. Let me know the airport taxi services available.

Regards
SPS

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sps said:
Hi,

Regards
SPS
1. US$ r Ok. U do not need to convert them.

2. In Ontario u have 90 days wait period for your OHIP to kick in. There's no point applying them now.
(provinces like Alberta or Manitoba - go ahead, it's from day-1)

3. U have a taxi line-up right @ the Arrival Gates. Studio6-Mississauga should cost u $35-40.

Qorax

maharlika

Champion Member
Feb 12, 2010
Pinas
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
4131;3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-22-2009, returned; resent 8-09
Doc's Request.
09-24-2009
AOR Received.
02-01-2010
File Transfer...
09-30-2009
Med's Request
06-03-2010
Med's Done....
07-30,31-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-21-10
VISA ISSUED...
10/15/2010....reached me on 11/09/2010
LANDED..........
MAY 24, 2011
qorax said:
1. US$ r Ok. U do not need to convert them.

2. In Ontario u have 90 days wait period for your OHIP to kick in. There's no point applying them now.
(provinces like Alberta or Manitoba - go ahead, it's from day-1)

3. U have a taxi line-up right @ the Arrival Gates. Studio6-Mississauga should cost u $35-40.

Qorax
hello, what do u mean by day 1 for manitoba health card do u mean to say that in manitoba their health privileges are effective immediately after landiing? so, a landed immigrant no longer need a private health insurance?

i will be landing in manitoba summer next year...that's a great news if that is the case...because, i thought it would be on the third month yet..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
maharlika said:
hello, what do u mean by day 1 for manitoba health card do u mean to say that in manitoba their health privileges are effective immediately after landiing? so, a landed immigrant no longer need a private health insurance?

i will be landing in manitoba summer next year...that's a great news if that is the case...because, i thought it would be on the third month yet..
As I know Alberta doesn't have any wait period for their Medicare... As of Manitoba - ditto what I have been told (not 100% sure though).

Qorax

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only 4 provinces have wait time for health care for people moving to Canada from another country. They are ON, BC, QC and NB although last I heard, NB had plans to change it. All other provinces will cover a new PR or other person moving from another country from the first day.

maharlika

Champion Member
Feb 12, 2010
Pinas
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
4131;3152
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-22-2009, returned; resent 8-09
Doc's Request.
09-24-2009
AOR Received.
02-01-2010
File Transfer...
09-30-2009
Med's Request
06-03-2010
Med's Done....
07-30,31-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-21-10
VISA ISSUED...
10/15/2010....reached me on 11/09/2010
LANDED..........
MAY 24, 2011
thanks, qorax and leon...

lhou

Star Member
Dec 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2010 (CEM)
AOR Received.
24-05-2010
Med's Request
03-09-2010
Med's Done....
12-10-2010/21/10/2010
Passport Req..
22/11/2010
maharlika said:
thanks, qorax and leon...
please enlighten me more on how to be covered with health insurance...

i am an Alberta PN...if my most economical flight will be manila-vancouver-calgary, will i be covered by vancouver?..i really want to be clarified on this..will greatly appreciate your teachings=)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
lhou said:
please enlighten me more on how to be covered with health insurance...

i am an Alberta PN...if my most economical flight will be manila-vancouver-calgary, will i be covered by vancouver?..i really want to be clarified on this..will greatly appreciate your teachings=)
Once u enter Calgary u have to do couple of things by few days -
-Apply for SIN card
-Apply for Health Card
-Open a Bank A/c
-Fetch a Cellphone Plan
-Apply for Driving License
-Lease a permanent Housing
-Look for Jobs
-Etc.

It doesn't matter that u r entering Calgary from Vancouver. It's here that u get all the foregoing tasks done. And yes, in Calgary u r covered with Healthcare from the day u arrive.

As u enter the POE u'd be met with New Immigrants' Assistance workers. They'd guide u towards all the above, Relax!

Qorax

advisors

Jun 16, 2010
Dear all
Thank you Qorax and all members for the valuable information provided in this thread. I will be landing next month to complete landing formalities and will return back within a week.
I am wondering if we could contact the concerned immigration section shortly after we arrive to ensure the suitability of the PR card photos to avoid potential problems in PR cards processing.

Advisor s

love20

Oct 21, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
received by G. Miller 20-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-02-2011(PER); 09-03-2011(2nd AOR)
IELTS Request
sent along with other docs to CIO
Med's Request
10-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2011
LANDED..........
July 2011 in Calgary
qorax said:
-Apply for SIN card
-Apply for Health Card
-Open a Bank A/c
-Fetch a Cellphone Plan
-Apply for Driving License
-Lease a permanent Housing
-Look for Jobs
-Etc.

It doesn't matter that u r entering Calgary from Vancouver. It's here that u get all the foregoing tasks done. And yes, in Calgary u r covered with Healthcare from the day u arrive.

As u enter the POE u'd be met with New Immigrants' Assistance workers. They'd guide u towards all the above, Relax!

Qorax

Thanks qorax for the info. this is really helpful.

ripon243

Sep 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
-Apply for SIN card
-Apply for Health Card
-Open a Bank A/c

Qorax
Dear Qorax,
I will land on ist wk of december,,,will it be a problem to find a permanent housing(is there any rule in Toronto that u need to lease apartment from 1st of the month /any day of the month)

Will u pls clear my confusion on the above post?
Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
advisors said:
Dear all
Thank you Qorax and all members for the valuable information provided in this thread. I will be landing next month to complete landing formalities and will return back within a week.
I am wondering if we could contact the concerned immigration section shortly after we arrive to ensure the suitability of the PR card photos to avoid potential problems in PR cards processing.

Advisor s
There's no way u can do that... They'd not encourage u with any info - probably they'd not have any themselves. The classic rule applies here - "the Right hand doesn't know what the Left hand is doing"!

ADVISE:
Stay put for 2 months, till u have the PRCs in hand.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ripon243 said:
Dear Qorax,
I will land on ist wk of december,,,will it be a problem to find a permanent housing(is there any rule in Toronto that u need to lease apartment from 1st of the month /any day of the month)

Will u pls clear my confusion on the above post?
Thanks
There's no such rule. Relax!