+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
lavshanks said:
Thanks vedette! Apologies for further bombarding with questions, what will happen if I do not revisit Canada in the next 2 years? Say, I visit only after 4 years (just a hypothetical scenario), and my PR card will expire in 1 year (at the end of 5 years as per what I read on the website), can I go for renewal while still living/working in Canada?
you might be reported by the officer at the point of entry, as being out for 4 years means you will not be able to fulfill your residency requirement for renewal by the time your card expires. If the officer reports you, there's a high chance of loosing your PR status.

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
nasha27 said:
Friends need some advice / suggestion.

I am planning to settle in vancouver in April 2016 from Karachi, Pakistan. I am looking for flight option. The problem is I don't have a US visa for transit and we were told in our orientation session for new immigrants - that if we land in toronto then our journey from Toronto to Vancouver would be local travel and thereby we will not be allowed to carry more than 1 bag or have to pay for extra baggage.

Has anyone experience this or would suggest best option. Thanks
You don't need a transit visa if you have just a layover in the US. You only need a visa if you plan to stay in the US for a few days.
If your baggage is checked through and your flights are booked through to Vancouver, it is still considered as part of the international flight, with Toronto being a layover. However, Toronto will serve as your port of entry. Your immigration formalities will be completed in Toronto.

dasalcedo

Star Member
May 21, 2010
Adelaide - Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney - Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2009
Doc's Request.
27-01-2010
AOR Received.
10-05-2010
IELTS Request
10-04-2010
File Transfer...
28-01-2010
Med's Request
28-07-2010
Med's Done....
04-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waiting....
AFAIK, you DO need a visa for transit in the US.

nasha27

Star Member
Oct 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rahul20978 said:
You don't need a transit visa if you have just a layover in the US. You only need a visa if you plan to stay in the US for a few days.
If your baggage is checked through and your flights are booked through to Vancouver, it is still considered as part of the international flight, with Toronto being a layover. However, Toronto will serve as your port of entry. Your immigration formalities will be completed in Toronto.
Thanks Rahul. Well, I think to US visa is also required for layovers....as my family member had some trouble...but not sure.

However, you are right that landing formalities will be in Toronto. But even if my flights / baggage are booked through Vancouver...I would need my baggage at the time of landing / immigration formalities ?? would that create trouble ahead

Also, would it be a problem if I do landing formalities in Toronto and give address of Vancouver for PR Card ??

C.K.

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Just need to ask if it is possible to have your proof of funds in US dollar currency rather than canadian?

Thanks,
Christian

Elizasalaz

Star Member
Mar 17, 2015
nasha27 said:

I am planning to settle in vancouver in April 2016 from Karachi, Pakistan. I am looking for flight option. The problem is I don't have a US visa for transit and we were told in our orientation session for new immigrants - that if we land in toronto then our journey from Toronto to Vancouver would be local travel and thereby we will not be allowed to carry more than 1 bag or have to pay for extra baggage.

Hello! I hope my experience helps. I am from Central America and I need visa to enter to the USA. Some years ago I wanted to go to Europe via USA and went to the US Embassy and they gave me a transit visa, so if there ir a transit visa I assume is because it is necessary for transit. At the end I didn't use it because I traveled directly from Central America to Madrid.

I dont know your country's situation, for here its relative easier to get a transit visa, you just have to show your canadian CORP and immigrant visa.

Best of luck!

Shanty

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
NA
Hi expert need suggestions on this. really confused what to do..

case History:

I have got my PNP from Manitoba (with employer restriction as 'YES' means i cannot change employer till i get PR). Applied for PR through PNP in OCtober 2015 and finally got AOR in January 2016 and waiting for medical.

Currently i have moved out of Manitoba and working in Ontario as my employer transferred me from Manitoba and i cannot change job now due to employer restriction to move back to manitoba.

My question is:
1.Where should i go for landing- in Manitoba or i can land in Ontario.
2.Will i have to show a address in Manitoba get through the landing .
3. should i write a letter to CIC informing them about the change and also my connections in manitoba.

How should i handle this. Please advise.

Regards,
Shanty

khurramrizvi

Jun 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2014
Doc's Request.
05 June 2015
Nomination.....
07 March 2015 (PER)
Med's Request
19 August 2015
Med's Done....
31 August 2015
Interview........
bye bye
Passport Req..
14 September 2015
VISA ISSUED...
22 September 2015
LANDED..........
Feb or March 2016
nasha27 said:

opt Qatar airways or Etihad, Qatar will take you to doha, london and American or british airways will take you to vancouver from london. Etihad will take you Abudhabi, Amsterdam and KLM will take you to Vancouver from amsterdam.
Ask you agent to confirm the baggage route from Karachi to Vancouver. Also you will have multiple meals otherwise if you take canada local from Toronto you have to buy food or drink for next 5hrs flight from Toronto to Vancouver. You better have to plan carefully. 23Kg 2bags per ticket and 7 to 10 Kg hand carry.
Lahore to Calgary Qatar airways cost me 335000 for 2 adults and 2 kids under 12 age.The only problem I am seeing would be the change of terminal at london which gona be bit of hassle. otherwise baggage route is done till calgary and Calgary would be my port of entry for immigration. If other Other than Calgary would be my port of entry, I would have to collect my baggage and after immigration re booked it for the next flight so again thats gona be some trouble.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
Shanty said:
Hi expert need suggestions on this. really confused what to do..

case History:

I have got my PNP from Manitoba (with employer restriction as 'YES' means i cannot change employer till i get PR). Applied for PR through PNP in OCtober 2015 and finally got AOR in January 2016 and waiting for medical.

Currently i have moved out of Manitoba and working in Ontario as my employer transferred me from Manitoba and i cannot change job now due to employer restriction to move back to manitoba.

My question is:
1.Where should i go for landing- in Manitoba or i can land in Ontario.
2.Will i have to show a address in Manitoba get through the landing .
3. should i write a letter to CIC informing them about the change and also my connections in manitoba.

How should i handle this. Please advise.

Regards,
Shanty
under pnp must land in same province and then come back to Ontario
U can try it by writing And providing info but I think this will not work for because of pnp

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
C.K. said:
Hi Everyone,

Just need to ask if it is possible to have your proof of funds in US dollar currency rather than canadian?

Thanks,
Christian
yes not an issue

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
rahul20978 said:
Please don't mislead. Whether you are transiting through Canada to USA, or through USA to Canada, you need a transit VISA.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
nasha27 said:
Thanks Rahul. Well, I think to US visa is also required for layovers....as my family member had some trouble...but not sure.

However, you are right that landing formalities will be in Toronto. But even if my flights / baggage are booked through Vancouver...I would need my baggage at the time of landing / immigration formalities ?? would that create trouble ahead

Also, would it be a problem if I do landing formalities in Toronto and give address of Vancouver for PR Card ??
You will need to complete landing formalities at the first port of entry in Canada. Does not matter which city you eventually want to go and live in.
So if your first entry in Canada will be at Vancouver, your PR formalities will be done there. Also you can give any Canadian address. Does not have to be in the same city you land in.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
alinazakat said:
Thanks to all for the reply.

A secondary question related to PR Card, as far as I know the Canada officials post it to an address in Canada but can we get it delivered here in Europe using a courier server for instance?. Is it legal or not allowed at all?

Regards
Ali
If the person living at that Canadian address is willing to do it for you. there are no clear directions whether it is legal or allowed, but a lot of ppl take help of frnds and relatives to get it sent out of Canada nevertheless.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
imm2canada said:
Hi Seniors,

I am planning to do my landing in the month of April, I am in search of a financial institute for my travelers cheque and cash needs. Could you please suggest a good one for this...

I have been to HDFC, however as i am not holding an account with this bank they denied to provide travelers cheque. I am thinking to get in contact with ICICI, thomas cook and SBI. Please let me know whether these 3 are worth finding out and which one would be the ideal option to go with.

Thank you in advance for your time....
Which bank do u have account with. Have they given you an International Debit Card. If yes, then you can simply get a certificate of funds letter on bank's letterhead and carry it with you. No need to get any travelers cheque or anything else.

Otherwise, another option is to open a Canadian account from within India, before you travel. Kotak has tie up with Scotia Bank. They will open a CAD account and also allow you to make a single deposit from within India, for upto 25K CAD. They will also give you a proof of funds letter.
If you wish to take this router, be sure to apply well in advance. As Kotak Mahindra need 3 weeks to get this sorted.
Once you are in Canada, you just need to go to a Scotia Bank branch and formally activate your account.

nasha27

Star Member
Oct 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khurramrizvi said:
opt Qatar airways or Etihad, Qatar will take you to doha, london and American or british airways will take you to vancouver from london. Etihad will take you Abudhabi, Amsterdam and KLM will take you to Vancouver from amsterdam.
Ask you agent to confirm the baggage route from Karachi to Vancouver. Also you will have multiple meals otherwise if you take canada local from Toronto you have to buy food or drink for next 5hrs flight from Toronto to Vancouver. You better have to plan carefully. 23Kg 2bags per ticket and 7 to 10 Kg hand carry.
Lahore to Calgary Qatar airways cost me 335000 for 2 adults and 2 kids under 12 age.The only problem I am seeing would be the change of terminal at london which gona be bit of hassle. otherwise baggage route is done till calgary and Calgary would be my port of entry for immigration. If other Other than Calgary would be my port of entry, I would have to collect my baggage and after immigration re booked it for the next flight so again thats gona be some trouble.
Thanks alot. I found karachi-istanbul-toronto-vancouver by turkish alone and Turkish + Air Canada for around USD 930 per head. Layover at Toronto is 2:20 hours. Not sure if that will sufficient time for immigration / landing procedures and then rechecking in with luggage to Vancouver.

Also would need to confirm whether I will be having any trouble for baggage from tornoto - vancouver. Some people saying that it wont be an issue since flight would be booked upto Vancouver. Need advice / confimation from experienced people.