+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

ibo_jayu

Star Member
Dec 20, 2014
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Received 23-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Na
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
13-03-2015
IELTS Request
With application
File Transfer...
22-05-2015
Med's Request
8-7-2015
Med's Done....
16-7-2015. TLU 28-07-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
9-9-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Passport submission 22-9.2015. Passport recd 25-09-2015
LANDED..........
Lammawitch said:
In your case, you would need to wait until you come back and settle in Ontario permanently, there is no point registering if you won't meet the OHIP residency requirement. Presumably your son will meet it so he can register.

Are you asking whether OHIP verifies this, or how OHIP verifies?
Thanks for your reply. The eligibility criteria states that Permanent Resident need to be there for 153 days out of 180 days from the time you first establish residence. This means if I come back then eligibility will not be met.

Yeah that's also the question if OHIP verifies this. But they would surely see the passport at the time of registration and it would have entry / exit / re-entry stamp. so one can easily understand as to how long the person was there in Canada and how long.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ibo_jayu said:
Thanks for your reply. The eligibility criteria states that Permanent Resident need to be there for 153 days out of 180 days from the time you first establish residence. This means if I come back then eligibility will not be met.

Yeah that's also the question if OHIP verifies this. But they would surely see the passport at the time of registration and it would have entry / exit / re-entry stamp. so one can easily understand as to how long the person was there in Canada and how long.
That's if you apply immediately on landing.

In your case, when you come back, you apply and they will start counting from then, as that will be the date you established residency *for OHIP purposes*. They don't care if you were previously in Ontario without meeting their (OHIP's) residence requirements.

Don't worry about this - you may be overthinking it ;).

ibo_jayu

Star Member
Dec 20, 2014
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Received 23-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Na
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
13-03-2015
IELTS Request
With application
File Transfer...
22-05-2015
Med's Request
8-7-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
9-9-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Lammawitch said:
That's if you apply immediately on landing.

In your case, when you come back, you apply and they will start counting from then, as that will be the date you established residency *for OHIP purposes*. They don't care if you were previously in Ontario without meeting their (OHIP's) residence requirements.

Don't worry about this - you may be overthinking it ;).
I hope whatever you are saying, is the way OHIP works, that will really relive me. However, since my son is already there I will ask him to check locally before I take any further step. Thanks so much for your reply.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ibo_jayu said:
I hope whatever you are saying, is the way OHIP works, that will really relive me. However, since my son is already there I will ask him to check locally before I take any further step. Thanks so much for your reply.
That's a good idea to ask your son to verify directly. I'm absolutely confident that you won't have a problem, once you arrive back to live in Ontario :).

blast4past

Star Member
Nov 14, 2014
sunil_k_gupta said:
Hi, I have also completed my landing formalities at Ottawa on 11th Sep 15. Have you checked your status on ECAS? My ECAS status is still showing the status as Decision Made instead of "Completed". What is your status on ECAS?
I m worried about this. Is this hapenned with anyone other also.
Yes mine also says DM still. But my mailing address has been updated online to a Canadian address. Not sure how long it will take for status to show 'complete'

ibo_jayu

Star Member
Dec 20, 2014
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Received 23-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Na
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
13-03-2015
IELTS Request
With application
File Transfer...
22-05-2015
Med's Request
8-7-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
9-9-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
blast4past said:
Yes mine also says DM still. But my mailing address has been updated online to a Canadian address. Not sure how long it will take for status to show 'complete'
Hi,
Can you share the process once you land on the airport? Where one needs to go first and what all documents do they check?
It will help us who are planning to come in coming few months.

blast4past

Star Member
Nov 14, 2014
ibo_jayu said:
Hi,
Can you share the process once you land on the airport? Where one needs to go first and what all documents do they check?
It will help us who are planning to come in coming few months.
I did that already. Scan through previous posts by me. Also read the 1st page which covers mostly everything.

arkscan

Champion Member
May 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
Doc's Request.
CC Charge- 10-Oct-2014
Nomination.....
22-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
2nd line- 17-12-2014
Med's Request
02-01-2015
Med's Done....
15-01-2015; Meds received line in Ecas: 23-01-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 24-03-2015; PPR: 31-03-2015; PP Sent: 1-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015; Received PP Stamped with Visa: 23-04-2015
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I posted- just thought I'd come back and share my landing experience-

LANDING: DAY 1

I landed in Toronto Airport (YYZ) terminal 1. The whole process at Toronto airport took almost 90 mins (from aircraft door to airport exit gate). The word 'Welcome to Canada' was heard more than 10 times in between :)..It was a very tiring journey though, I hate long-haul flights...Try to get some sleep so that you don't arrive completely exhausted...

You get a Customs Declaration card on the flight to Canada as follows-
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

Make sure to fill up as Visitor because you are landing 1st time, you are not a Resident yet.

1st step: Passport Control counters, there was a short queue in the visitors line (BTW, we should go to visitors queue not residents queue, because at this point, we are not residents yet), it took around 10 mins max. Officer asked for the purpose of my visit (which is immigration), took our passports, and customs declaration, asked some basic questions about travel to Ebola-affected countries, then asked if I had any Goods to follow, I indicated Yes, so he marked my Customs Declaration as GTF and scribbled some other notes, then asked to go to Immigration section just behind the Passport Control Counters. (And in between he welcomed me to Canada :))

2nd Step: Immigration Section: The officer took my passport, COPR, asked few questions (like is the information on COPR all correct no spelling mistakes, etc., do I have any other dependents, etc. Then he asked me how much funds I am bringing for settlement.Now I was carrying part of the money as Cash and part in Forex Travel Card and for the remaining amount, I had taken an Indian bank balance certificate. I told him clearly the individual amounts and the type of instrument (be honest always in your answers) and was about to bring out the Documents, but he said that's fine no need to show it :). And then he asked me whether I had a Canadian address for residence (I recommend that you print the address in a paper and give it to them instead of dictating it). Then asked me to sit in the lobby until he finished his work. This took around 20mins. At the end of which, he kept the COPR with the photo, gave me back the 2nd copy of the COPR without the photo along with his sign and stamp, told me that I was now a PR (yay!!!) and that I had to spend 2 years/ 730 days to maintain my PR obligations and also about my rights as a PR. And also told me that the Airport Service Canada center for SIN was closed at this time, so to make sure that I visited one soon (Note I landed at 11.30 am during working hours but the counter was still closed, so it seems there is no way to predict when it will be open). Then he directed me to the Newcomers' Welcome counter.

3rd Step: Newcomers Welcome counter: They gave me some brochures and papers titled Welcome to Canada, health insurance forms, and some child tax return docs and some other papers.

4th Step: Baggage Carousel: My bag was already in the carousel, I just collected it.

5th Step: Customs- at the exit, a Customs official checked my Declaration card, saw that 'GTF' was written on it, and directed me to customs office next door, I entered there, the officer took the goods to follow list (I prepared B4 form+Individual Excel Sheets+Gold Pics attached exactly as per qorax's guide here->
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/form-b4-goods-to-followaccompanying-list-how-to-t44793.0.html). The officer was really happy to see my organized preparation, she stamped all the pages (B4 form+Excel Sheets+Pics) and asked me to wait a bit. Then she entered the total value in her system and gave me an official printed form for tax-free import. This process took another 15mins.

This was the last step in the airport. Note also, in case you do not have a Canada SIM yet, and you wish to call your family immediately about safe landing, there's a free Chatr stall set up currently where you can make a call home for free...(just in case the Airport wifi isn't working)

DAY 2

6th Step: SIN numbers (ServiceCanada Office in Etobicoke): I went to the SC office the next day dot at 8.30 am. Note that these Offices handle quite a bit of Govt. paperwork, so many people may come here for different reasons, so get in early to avoid the Queue. A nice Officer asked me to fill a form with a few details like fathers name, mothers name, correct spelling, etc.. Then generated SIN on the system and printed SIN numbers on an A4 paper. There are no longer SIN cards. And he explained that this SIN Printout and number needs to be guarded for life as most sensitive and personal information :)..This process took around 15mins.

4 days after landing, my ECAS status changed to 'Complete'. And inside, it has changed to the new format of ECAS. An 8th (and final) line has been added->

"You entered Canada at the Lester B Pearson International Airport, Terminal No. 1 office on September XX, 2015 and became a Permanent Resident."

Thanks to all the seniors of this forum and on this thread for all your help and hope this helps a few people....Cheers!!

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arkscan said:
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I posted- just thought I'd come back and share my landing experience-

LANDING: DAY 1

I landed in Toronto Airport (YYZ) terminal 1. The whole process at Toronto airport took almost 90 mins (from aircraft door to airport exit gate). The word 'Welcome to Canada' was heard more than 10 times in between :)..It was a very tiring journey though, I hate long-haul flights...Try to get some sleep so that you don't arrive completely exhausted...

You get a Customs Declaration card on the flight to Canada as follows-
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf

Make sure to fill up as Visitor because you are landing 1st time, you are not a Resident yet.

1st step: Passport Control counters, there was a short queue in the visitors line (BTW, we should go to visitors queue not residents queue, because at this point, we are not residents yet), it took around 10 mins max. Officer asked for the purpose of my visit (which is immigration), took our passports, and customs declaration, asked some basic questions about travel to Ebola-affected countries, then asked if I had any Goods to follow, I indicated Yes, so he marked my Customs Declaration as GTF and scribbled some other notes, then asked to go to Immigration section just behind the Passport Control Counters. (And in between he welcomed me to Canada :))

2nd Step: Immigration Section: The officer took my passport, COPR, asked few questions (like is the information on COPR all correct no spelling mistakes, etc., do I have any other dependents, etc. Then he asked me how much funds I am bringing for settlement.Now I was carrying part of the money as Cash and part in Forex Travel Card and for the remaining amount, I had taken an Indian bank balance certificate. I told him clearly the individual amounts and the type of instrument (be honest always in your answers) and was about to bring out the Documents, but he said that's fine no need to show it :). And then he asked me whether I had a Canadian address for residence (I recommend that you print the address in a paper and give it to them instead of dictating it). Then asked me to sit in the lobby until he finished his work. This took around 20mins. At the end of which, he kept the COPR with the photo, gave me back the 2nd copy of the COPR without the photo along with his sign and stamp, told me that I was now a PR (yay!!!) and that I had to spend 2 years/ 730 days to maintain my PR obligations and also about my rights as a PR. And also told me that the Airport Service Canada center for SIN was closed at this time, so to make sure that I visited one soon (Note I landed at 11.30 am during working hours but the counter was still closed, so it seems there is no way to predict when it will be open). Then he directed me to the Newcomers' Welcome counter.

3rd Step: Newcomers Welcome counter: They gave me some brochures and papers titled Welcome to Canada, health insurance forms, and some child tax return docs and some other papers.

4th Step: Baggage Carousel: My bag was already in the carousel, I just collected it.

5th Step: Customs- at the exit, a Customs official checked my Declaration card, saw that 'GTF' was written on it, and directed me to customs office next door, I entered there, the officer took the goods to follow list (I prepared B4 form+Individual Excel Sheets+Gold Pics attached exactly as per qorax's guide here->
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/form-b4-goods-to-followaccompanying-list-how-to-t44793.0.html). The officer was really happy to see my organized preparation, she stamped all the pages (B4 form+Excel Sheets+Pics) and asked me to wait a bit. Then she entered the total value in her system and gave me an official printed form for tax-free import. This process took another 15mins.

This was the last step in the airport. Note also, in case you do not have a Canada SIM yet, and you wish to call your family immediately about safe landing, there's a free Chatr stall set up currently where you can make a call home for free...(just in case the Airport wifi isn't working)

DAY 2

6th Step: SIN numbers (ServiceCanada Office in Etobicoke): I went to the SC office the next day dot at 8.30 am. Note that these Offices handle quite a bit of Govt. paperwork, so many people may come here for different reasons, so get in early to avoid the Queue. A nice Officer asked me to fill a form with a few details like fathers name, mothers name, correct spelling, etc.. Then generated SIN on the system and printed SIN numbers on an A4 paper. There are no longer SIN cards. And he explained that this SIN Printout and number needs to be guarded for life as most sensitive and personal information :)..This process took around 15mins.

4 days after landing, my ECAS status changed to 'Complete'. And inside, it has changed to the new format of ECAS. An 8th (and final) line has been added->

"You entered Canada at the Lester B Pearson International Airport, Terminal No. 1 office on September XX, 2015 and became a Permanent Resident."

Thanks to all the seniors of this forum and on this thread for all your help and hope this helps a few people....Cheers!!
Excellent write-up and information! Thank you for taking the time to do it, and ... WELCOME to Canada !!!! :D

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015

ali_aff

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
File Transfer...
SLU - 03-07-2015
Med's Request
29-07-2015
Med's Done....
10-08-2015
Passport Req..
14-09-2015 - submission 05-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-09-2015 - passport received on 21-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-04-2016 - received PR 19-06-2016 - OHIP 19-07-2016
How much it cost for health insurance during waiting time?

Blue.A

Jul 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Friends

how can a person return to Canada if leaving out after landing first time and before getting the PR card?
i know about the travel documents,but if they refused to give it ? does it mean, losing the residency?
how people manage to get PR card while they are outside of canada?

thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Blue.A said:
Hello Friends

how can a person return to Canada if leaving out after landing first time and before getting the PR card?
i know about the travel documents,but if they refused to give it ? does it mean, losing the residency?

thank you
They can not refuse you a travel document if you meet the RO (residency obligation). The RO for a new PR is defined as still being able to spend 730 days in Canada before their first 5 years are up. Therefore, that gives you 1095 days to be outside so as long as you apply for a travel document within 3 years of landing, even if you haven't spent any time in Canada, they would have to give you one.

As for getting a PR card while not in Canada, when you land, you are asked to provide an address. If you provide an address of a friend of family member and they get your PR card in the mail, they can mail it to you where you are.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
Blue.A said:
Hello Friends

thank you
u must live and stay in Canada for 730 days from 5 years to be eligible for renewal of PR.
Travel documents is ur right with residency limits. Your PR card will be issued keep checking online status. if there is any problem u can solve it by submitting required / or missing information.
nekeol