+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

Gravity

May 18, 2010
Dear Landed immigrants ; I will land in JUNE 2015- I have few Qs.

1 - what forms should I carry (filled or unfilled) at Calgary airport;
2- what others doc are required like photos....etc ?
3- Minimum amount of CAD$ to carry which VO may ask at airport- POF.?
4- What things I need to write which im carrying on the form - I have no shippments, no jewellary, only camera and laptops cell phone. clothings. that's it .

regards

tag4u

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
20-Nov-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
23-Apr-2014
Med's Done....
06-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
16-Jun-2014
Navneet a big +1 for your detailed landing experience. Which flight and what terminal did your landing take place? I am planning to land in T3 via BA.

I will bring few food items with me from India, pickles, snack items, spices etc, Will there be any problem or manual checking of our check-in baggage? We are not carrying any gold except what we wear(rings, chains etc). Should that too be declared in Form B4?

snavneet said:
Hi Forum members,

Came to Canada for a short landing with my wife on 7th May 2015 at Toronto. A small brief of the landing procedures -
1. Completed immigration (second floor)- was asked 2 questions related to food that I was carrying and whether I had been to West Africa (related to the Ebola breakout). We had a few spices, walnuts, prunes etc in the checked in baggage, which we informed. We said that we had neither visited West Africa nor had been in contact with anyone from the place.

We were welcomed and advised to proceed to the new immigrant section.

2 As per advise of Qorax, we had prepared a set of documents separately for presentation to the officer when required.
a) POF:
We were asked about the amount of funds that we were carrying - we informed that we had cash of CAD 5000 and informed that we had recently transferred CAD 30,000 to our daughters account. (He did not ask to see either the cash or the transfer paper.) He asked us if we had any bank account in Canada, to which we said that we had applied for an HSBC account which was approved and we had to meet the bank officials to activate the account. No more questions were asked but the amount of CAD 30,000 was written by the officer on the COPR. (We are a 3 member family.)

Please note that I am not a joint account holder in my daughters account (which is in TD Canada Trust) - where I had deposited money from Dubai. I had applied to open a Canadian Bank Account in HSBC (I am a premier account holder in HSBC Dubai) but have not been able to operate the account since it has to be activated at the branch here in Canada.

b) Local address
He asked us for a local Canadian address and we provided a printed page of our daughters address. On our query, he informed that the PR card will take 6 weeks to be delivered. We offered him additional photos, which he refused saying that then photo on the COPR would suffice.

We were asked to wait and the wait took 15 mi. before we were called to meet the officer once again. We signed on the COPR (three locations), date and place of landing was recorded and we were welcomed to Canada One copy of the signed COPR was returned to us.

We asked him on the validity of the COPR and its requirement after the receipt of the PR Card (6 weeks delivery). We were strongly advised to keep the original COPR with us till time immemorial - as this original would be required to claim pension from the government.

3 When we exited from this section, another officer at the exit door gave us a warm welcome and along with the welcome gave us a set of brochures on "Welcome to Canada" and were asked to proceed to collect our luggage form the next level (first floor).

We collected our luggage and proceeded to the Customs. We presented the B4 and B4A form to the officer (we had prepared 2 sets of each document). The B4 form was blank while we had prefilled the B4A form along with photos (of jewellery) on A4 pages, and an approximate CAD amount. We also informed the officer about the goods to follow - laptops and a camera (at least 2 years old? - asked the officer). He then filled up the B4 form with the data that we gave him, took my signature on the B4 and the B4A forms, stamped each of the pages including the photos (in both sets), printed a receipt and gave us back one set.

We enquired on the procedure to bring in the jewellery into Canada since he had taken only my signature on the forms. We were informed that only the 3 of us, me my spouse or our daughter could bring the jewellery but the original stamped document should be presented on every occasion and they would strike off the article that had been imported.

4 After this, we took the elevator to the Ground Floor and came out of the airport.

We will now proceed to the Service Canada Office to complete the formalities of applying for the SIN Card.

We wish each and every member of this forum all success and we thank Aashifee, Qorax and MDV to have opened and have maintained this forum which has a huge wealth of information.

Thanking You

Rgds

Navneet

quartz

Star Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi all,

I am planning to land in Canada sometime in June. I am planning to carry CAD 20k. Is there any problem getting cash or TC worth CAD 20k in India. One of the travel agent Thomas Cook said I could take only curency/TC worth 1 lakh INR per person. If so how can I carry CAD 20k.

MDV

Mar 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
14-03-2015
Med's Done....
16-03-2015 Third line updated April-2-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
01-05-2015 Decision Made May-2-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
2-06-2015
How many people have landed and have taken CAD loaded in Travel Card and shown that as POF at the POE ?

tag4u

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
20-Nov-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
23-Apr-2014
Med's Done....
06-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
16-Jun-2014
Better take 2K(10%) as cash and remaining 18K as TCs. No one can encash TCs except you as it needs your passport and signature. So the money in TCs are safe.

You can take upto 100,000 USD per year as TC/cash. Thats the limit. I guess thomas cook guy meant the currency limit in USD.
BTW BookMyForex have better rates than ThomasCook. What is ThomasCook offering you as the rate? +30-40 paise from the XE rate?

quartz said:
Hi a

I am planning to land in Canada sometime in June. I am planning to carry CAD 20k. Is there any problem getting cash or TC worth CAD 20k in India. One of the travel agent Thomas Cook said I could take only curency/TC worth 1 lakh INR per person. If so how can I carry CAD 20k.

explorer

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb-2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR: Jun-10
File Transfer...
Mar-10
Med's Request
June-12
Med's Done....
July-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Jan-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2013
I did.
MDV said:
How many people have landed and have taken CAD loaded in Travel Card and shown that as POF at the POE ?

MDV

Mar 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
14-03-2015
Med's Done....
16-03-2015 Third line updated April-2-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
01-05-2015 Decision Made May-2-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
2-06-2015
explorer said:
Alright great so you have landed with Travel card with all money loaded in CAD as POF

Could you let me know the following

1.What statements/receipts did you show that you had money in CAD ?

2.How do CBSA verify your funds in the Travel Card?

3.Which Travel card you used ?

explorer

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb-2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR: Jun-10
File Transfer...
Mar-10
Med's Request
June-12
Med's Done....
July-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Jan-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2013
Sent you a PM. Please call me.

MDV said:
Alright great so you have landed with Travel card with all money loaded in CAD as POF

Could you let me know the following

1.What statements/receipts did you show that you had money in CAD ?

2.How do CBSA verify your funds in the Travel Card?

3.Which Travel card you used ?

Ruhi123

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
HI Can you please guide me regarding situation. We did short landing in July 2013 and stayed for a month in Toronto, Ontario later moved back to Dubai. Now We have done the needful and going permanently Canada on July 19th 2015. But this time we are planning to land in Edmonton, Albertal and settle.

We are having PR cards, SIN card and Driving license from Ontario. Can you please guide what needs to be done if we need to got to Edmonton instead of Ontario. Do we need to reapply or transfer our PR cards, SIN cards and license or are these common every where. Really appreciate your guidance regarding the process. Thanks Ruhi

Shamrajjo

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ruhi123 said:
HI Can you please guide me regarding situation. We did short landing in July 2013 and stayed for a month in Toronto, Ontario later moved back to Dubai. Now We have done the needful and going permanently Canada on July 19th 2015. But this time we are planning to land in Edmonton, Albertal and settle.

We are having PR cards, SIN card and Driving license from Ontario. Can you please guide what needs to be done if we need to got to Edmonton instead of Ontario. Do we need to reapply or transfer our PR cards, SIN cards and license or are these common every where. Really appreciate your guidance regarding the process. Thanks Ruhi
Only Provincial Nominee should live 2 years in that state from nominated as an obligation otherwise FSW PR holder can live and land anywhere in CA except Quebec.

fswevaluation

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA/ NEW YORK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th June 2014
LANDED..........
6th July 2015/Toronto
GUYS AND GIRLS-- Cheesy Grin

HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE WE RECEIVED OUR INDIAN PASSPORTS BACK WITH THE PR VISA FROM NEW YORK CONSULATE. I WAS WAITING, WAITING AND FINALLY IT ARRIVED. Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

THANKS TO EVERYBODY-PARTICULARLY SSPT, GRACE, JITHESH, DIPLOMATRU.

My wife is 3 months pregnant and our landing should be before December 15, 2015.

1. We want to initially do a landing by car--stay for 2-3 days and return--Which port of entry should I select. BTW, I am from the state of Virginia.

2. Is it ok if we make landing in September 2015 or will it be a problem that my wife is pregnant Undecided?

3.Also She had TB 20 years ago and she is completely cured. She received a Medical Surveillance form which she must report in 30 days. Because we will not be staying for more than 2-3 days, what should my wife explain to the Border officer

Please advise

Thanks

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
Shamrajjo said:
Only Provincial Nominee should live 2 years in that state from nominated as an obligation otherwise FSW PR holder can live and land anywhere in CA except Quebec.
You only land once. Once you land you are free to move about as you please. Once you land and you are a PR you have the right to live and work anywhere in Canada as a FSW PR holder, even Quebec. That said, as mentioned here, if you are a provincial nominee, that is a different story and you do have an obligation to that province.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
fswevaluation said:
HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE WE RECEIVED OUR INDIAN PASSPORTS BACK WITH THE PR VISA FROM NEW YORK CONSULATE.
Congrats!

fswevaluation said:
1. We want to initially do a landing by car--stay for 2-3 days and return--Which port of entry should I select. BTW, I am from the state of Virginia.

2. Is it ok if we make landing in September 2015 or will it be a problem that my wife is pregnant Undecided?

3.Also She had TB 20 years ago and she is completely cured. She received a Medical Surveillance form which she must report in 30 days. Because we will not be staying for more than 2-3 days, what should my wife explain to the Border officer

Please advise

Thanks
1. You can land wherever you wish.
2. As long as CIC already knew that your wife was pregnant, it shouldn't be an issue.
3. If she has COPR, her status on that matter has already been decided. I wouldn't bring it up unless they do. If they do, just be honest...like I said the decision was already made so you should be fine.

fswevaluation

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA/ NEW YORK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th June 2014
LANDED..........
6th July 2015/Toronto
Kwyatt75,

Thanks,

We found the pregnancy test done at home on last Sunday. Do we still need to inform CIC that my wife pregnancy is at the earliest stage?

Also where can I find the port of entry list, if we want to land from Canada

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
fswevaluation said:
Kwyatt75,

Thanks,

We found the pregnancy test done at home on last Sunday. Do we still need to inform CIC that my wife pregnancy is at the earliest stage?

Also where can I find the port of entry list, if we want to land from Canada
Well, you already have COPR and can land at any time, so I'm not sure what the policy is. I know that in my PER email it states:

Please inform the visa office of any changes in your application (e.g. birth or adoption of a child, marriage or common-law relationship, new occupation or employer, submission of an Arranged Employment Opinion approved by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, change of address, change of e-mail address, change of immigration representative, etc). Please include a letter identifying what the changes are and any relevant supporting documents. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.

It refers to birth, not pregnancy, so it may not matter. I would definitely not keep it a secret. It seems like you may land before the birth so it might not matter. However, If I were in your situation, I would ask CIC.

As for landing are you crossing from the US to Canada or flying in from somewhere else?