+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

merry_ivan

Jun 6, 2014
NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
I am on a work permit in USA. I am going to Canada via Peace Bridge for 'landing'. I will be at Hamilton for 1 day and return. Do I have to undergo US immigration checkpoint again at the border?

robsmann said:
Hi All,
I live and work in United States on H1B work permit.

I drove in my wife's car from USA to Canada via Peace Bridge and here is my experience:

When I arrived at Peace Bridge, the officer was very cooperative. He asked me for passport. I handed over my passport. After looking at the passport, he said you have immigrant visa. I said yes I recently received permanent residence. He said: great. then you should say that you are doing your landing. He asked if the car was my own or rental. I said it is my wife's car. He asked is she landing too. I said she shall be landing later. He asked if I am importing the car to which I said I am not; I shall be going back in 2 weeks to sell off the car in United States. He asked if I am bringing anything else other than what is in the car. I said I might bring some furniture later on. Then he handed over a yellow paper to me and asked me to park my car in slot # 10 and then enter the big building I see to do the landing formalities.
When I entered the building, I was greeted by an officer who asked for information for entering into the system. He told me that my PR card would arrive in 6 to 8 weeks and that I am now as good as a citizen except I won't have voting rights. He then asked me to go to the CBSA officer within the same room.
He provided me form to fill up the goods carried and goods to follow. And I was all set. Before arriving at Peace Bridge, I was worried about driving wife's car without her as they might have why I am taking the car out of United States without her and why I am not importing it. But there were absolutely no questions asked by the CBSA officer.

So, guys relax. These people are sensible to understand situations and have made the processes simple for us to immigrate.

I have an expired H1B visa but my H1B extension got approved recently. I am waiting for the approved I797 and then I shall be entering the US on ARV! Cheers!! It feels so good to be a permanent resident and people here in Toronto are so immigrant friendly.

niknike

Star Member
Sep 10, 2014
mastfadi said:
Hi,

I had a similar query from CSBA and this is what they wrote to me

"A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months. Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes."

Rest is upto you to decide. I have decided to make the Goods lists just in case even though I am going there for a couple of weeks only, but not stressing myself alot for these lists at this point.
Yeah, Even I am planning to do the same. Will only prepare GTF list (will not do any GTA list because of the short trip)

rizwan150

Jan 16, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
Doc's Request.
24-06-2014
Nomination.....
07-05-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 (Self MR + RPRF for both) & 31-07-2014 (Spouse MR),
Med's Done....
06-07-2014 (Self) & 18-08-2014 (Spouse)
Passport Req..
PPR-1 + PPR-2: 17-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2015, Passport Received: 17-03-2015
LANDED..........
26-05-2015
niknike said:
Yeah, Even I am planning to do the same. Will only prepare GTF list (will not do any GTA list because of the short trip)
When and where are you planning to land? and for how much duration will be your visit?

niknike

Star Member
Sep 10, 2014
Friends, please share your thoughts/suggestions (traveling to Canada by AIR for landing formality, for a week):
(1) During Landing, did Immigration/Customs officer questions about "Duration of our stay in Canada"? If we say- 1 week(or couple of days), then will it cause any issue for our PR Card Application? (I have heard that we should not mentioned if we are going for few days as it gives them impression that we are defeating PR purpose and they might not apply PR application until our next trip- is it TRUE? :eek:) How to tackle such situation?
(2) In the Customs Embarkation/Declaration Card(which we ll get in plane), are we fall under : Part B. Visitors to Canada, or Part C."Residents of Canada" ? :-[
(3) If we have to fill, Part B. Visitors to Canada in the Declaration Card in the "Duration of stay in Canada" section, shall we write the exact "No. of days" we are planning to stay, or
it has to match the same duration which we will say to Immigration/Customs officer at landing, as per question 1 above?
Thanks!!

rizwan150

Jan 16, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
Doc's Request.
24-06-2014
Nomination.....
07-05-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 (Self MR + RPRF for both) & 31-07-2014 (Spouse MR),
Med's Done....
06-07-2014 (Self) & 18-08-2014 (Spouse)
Passport Req..
PPR-1 + PPR-2: 17-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2015, Passport Received: 17-03-2015
LANDED..........
26-05-2015
niknike said:
Toronto, next month, 5 days or 1 week stay!
How about you?
I will be landing in Calgary In Sha ALLAH on 26th May for 14 days.

On which date, you will be landing in Toronto?

I am also concerned about the questions you have asked and looking for the answers...

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
qorax said:
All You Need to Know About Landing...

Hi friends,

As these queries keep coming repeatedly in this forum (& I get many PMs as well), I thought to summarize all into one thread. This post shall quench most of our doubts. I hope it helps...
This was an excellent post that I'm sure has helped many. Kudos on a job well done! I do have a question not covered though. Once you receive your COPR and are able to land, can you still come into Canada as a visitor without landing? I am a US Citizen and as such do not need a visa to travel to Canada as a visitor. I am wondering if it would be still possible to come as a visitor and make some arrangements and get some things set up while there to make the move go more smoothly. Then, at a later date my family and I could come and officially land. I'm thinking it should be possible but I'm just wondering if once you are given a COPR you are not eligible to come as a visitor. Any thoughts?

ahmed7984

Jan 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5 2012
IELTS Request
feb 2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
19 2015
Med's Done....
28 2015
Interview........
1 2014
Passport Req..
17 2015
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
aoa,
dear forum members
i need some help
1- can i use cartons instead of suitcase
2- how many weight allow for each adult, each children and each infant.
3-can i take kitchen machines ( 220 volt) will they work there???

thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmed7984 said:
aoa,
dear forum members
i need some help
1- can i use cartons instead of suitcase
2- how many weight allow for each adult, each children and each infant.
3-can i take kitchen machines ( 220 volt) will they work there???

thanks
1) Sure
2) Check with the airline baggage allowances
3) Work only if connected to a voltage converter from 220V to 110V

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kwyatt75 said:
This was an excellent post that I'm sure has helped many. Kudos on a job well done! I do have a question not covered though. Once you receive your COPR and are able to land, can you still come into Canada as a visitor without landing? I am a US Citizen and as such do not need a visa to travel to Canada as a visitor. I am wondering if it would be still possible to come as a visitor and make some arrangements and get some things set up while there to make the move go more smoothly. Then, at a later date my family and I could come and officially land. I'm thinking it should be possible but I'm just wondering if once you are given a COPR you are not eligible to come as a visitor. Any thoughts?
Sure, you can come as visitor

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
steaky said:
Sure, you can come as visitor
Cool. It makes sense that you can...at least up until you officially land.

mastfadi

May 24, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER : 13-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
19-June-2014
Med's Done....
15-July-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1: 21-July-2014::PPR2:3-Aug-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
01-May-2015
NikNike,

Exactly the same questions which are going through my mind. My trip is for 2 weeks and not sure If I have tell the truth to the Immigration officer regarding my short stay to ensure that I get the PR card smoothly. Can anybody help with the answers plzzzz. I am landing on 1st of May in Calgary.

niknike said:
Friends, please share your thoughts/suggestions (traveling to Canada by AIR for landing formality, for a week):
(1) During Landing, did Immigration/Customs officer questions about "Duration of our stay in Canada"? If we say- 1 week(or couple of days), then will it cause any issue for our PR Card Application? (I have heard that we should not mentioned if we are going for few days as it gives them impression that we are defeating PR purpose and they might not apply PR application until our next trip- is it TRUE? :eek:) How to tackle such situation?
(2) In the Customs Embarkation/Declaration Card(which we ll get in plane), are we fall under : Part B. Visitors to Canada, or Part C."Residents of Canada" ? :-[
(3) If we have to fill, Part B. Visitors to Canada in the Declaration Card in the "Duration of stay in Canada" section, shall we write the exact "No. of days" we are planning to stay, or
it has to match the same duration which we will say to Immigration/Customs officer at landing, as per question 1 above?
Thanks!!

mastfadi

May 24, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER : 13-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
19-June-2014
Med's Done....
15-July-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1: 21-July-2014::PPR2:3-Aug-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
01-May-2015
NikNike,

What I got from all this is that if we declare ourselves as visitors to Canada (for custom purposes) we dont have to make any GTF or GTA at this point. I will share what I am reading on CSBA website at the moment .

"Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation

9. A person’s status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00."

This means that if we are visitors at this point, we will get our luggage into canada this time under tarriff item no 9803 (which is basically free of charge) and then when we come back to Canada to settle, we can import our goods under 9807 for which the B4 form is required. However my fear still remains and just to be on safe side I am making the GT list.

niknike said:

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
mastfadi said:
NikNike,

Exactly the same questions which are going through my mind. My trip is for 2 weeks and not sure If I have tell the truth to the Immigration officer regarding my short stay to ensure that I get the PR card smoothly. Can anybody help with the answers plzzzz. I am landing on 1st of May in Calgary.
Leave it blank and when you go to counter as CBSA officer about what to fill. I think it should be "Resident of Canada"

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
niknike said:
Thanks!!
1 - Yes that is sort if true. He will make an application for PR card but it wont be released until your next trip. So after you back to your residence country you will have to apply for travel document in order to re-enter Canada or you can use US-Canada Land border to re-enter Canada using private Vehicle using COPR. You cannot re-enter Canada using any other means of transport at US-Canada land border using COPR.

2 - Leave it blank and ask CBSA officer.

3 - Will be answered based on what you option you select.