+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

ASRAH

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
hi mates,

I am planning to do the landing on august, I want to stay there for a week or so in order to complete landing procedures and come back after a year or so, can you pleas advise on the following :

1- How can i get the PR without staying there till it is issued.
2- do I need to go with the whole family or only me the main applicant.
3-after the PR is issued how long can i stay away from canada before i lose the right for becoming a citizen.

appreciate your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ASRAH said:
hi mates,

I am planning to do the landing on august, I want to stay there for a week or so in order to complete landing procedures and come back after a year or so, can you pleas advise on the following :

1- How can i get the PR without staying there till it is issued.
2- do I need to go with the whole family or only me the main applicant.
3-after the PR is issued how long can i stay away from canada before i lose the right for becoming a citizen.

appreciate your help.
1. Give the address of a friend or a family member and have them mail you the card.

2. Those of your family members who do not land before their PR visa expires do not get the PR status.

3. You and your family can stay outside Canada for up to 1095 days (3 years) in any 5 year period before you risk losing your PR. This is a very weak requirement. The requirement to get citizenship is staying in Canada 4 out of the past 6 years before you apply so you can actually keep your PR by staying in Canada at least 2 out of every 5 years without ever gaining the right to apply for citizenship.

ASRAH

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Leon said:
1. Give the address of a friend or a family member and have them mail you the card.

2. Those of your family members who do not land before their PR visa expires do not get the PR status.

3. You and your family can stay outside Canada for up to 1095 days (3 years) in any 5 year period before you risk losing your PR. This is a very weak requirement. The requirement to get citizenship is staying in Canada 4 out of the past 6 years before you apply so you can actually keep your PR by staying in Canada at least 2 out of every 5 years without ever gaining the right to apply for citizenship.
Thanks Leon, these are very helpful information.

I have question regarding your answer to number 3, so if i stay for two years for the first five years , and then another two years in the next five years, will these years ( 4 in total) add up and count for the citizen ship requirement ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ASRAH said:
Thanks Leon, these are very helpful information.

I have question regarding your answer to number 3, so if i stay for two years for the first five years , and then another two years in the next five years, will these years ( 4 in total) add up and count for the citizen ship requirement ?
It depends on how you do it. If you spend 3 years outside, then come back for 2, renew your PR card, leave again for less than 2 years and then spend another 2 in Canada, you would still have 4 years out of the past 6 in order to apply for citizenship. However, if you leave for more than 2 years between your spending 2 years in Canada, you will no longer have 4 years in Canada out of past 6 so you will not fulfill the requirements to apply for citizenship.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
CIBC at many branches is offering Newcomers to Canada package which included free basic account for 1 year, and a $500 un-secure Credit Card as well (no security deposit required).
No need to pay for secured credit card at TD bank.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Leon said:
It depends on how you do it. If you spend 3 years outside, then come back for 2, renew your PR card, leave again for less than 2 years and then spend another 2 in Canada, you would still have 4 years out of the past 6 in order to apply for citizenship. However, if you leave for more than 2 years between your spending 2 years in Canada, you will no longer have 4 years in Canada out of past 6 so you will not fulfill the requirements to apply for citizenship.
I think there is something wrong with the math here 8)

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
canvis2006 said:
CIBC at many branches is offering Newcomers to Canada package which included free basic account for 1 year, and a $500 un-secure Credit Card as well (no security deposit required).
No need to pay for secured credit card at TD bank.
TD has also started this package recently and can be found on their website, however I am still seeing many members on this forum still getting secured cards from TD.

Regards,

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
rizmayo said:
How are you finding Canada so far?

Regards,
Hi,

As I was aware of the condtions of Canada so nothing was shocking for me. I came back to UAE this morning and will move permanently in 2015. The big difference which I felt was that the people are much courtous here than in UAE. Job condition seems very tight and its bit expensive here than UAE. Will put my observations latter as whole. Onething which I noticed there are lot of oppertunities to earn money if you are willing to work hard and out of your profession.

Thanks.

sarah johns

Star Member
Dec 13, 2013
hello i have an inquiry plz my husband has the pr and he has been out of canada for 1 year and half but he is intending to reside there before the end of the two years so is this going to affect his citizenship taking as i heard that they made changes in the rule of obtaining the citizenship there !!!

mr.Hope

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04/7/13, DD Charged-29/9/13, PER - 03/12/13
AOR Received.
16/1/2014 Interview: 15-4-2014
Med's Request
22-4-2014 Passport Req:22-4-2014
Med's Done....
28-4-2014 3rd line updated: 9-05-14
VISA ISSUED...
6-6-2014
LANDED..........
Mid Of September !!!
sarah johns said:
hello i have an inquiry plz my husband has the pr and he has been out of canada for 1 year and half but he is intending to reside there before the end of the two years so is this going to affect his citizenship taking as i heard that they made changes in the rule of obtaining the citizenship there !!!
one has to reside atleast 2 years out of 5.
follow the link : https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en&_ga=1.53171883.2091039700.1402405797

Alberto70

Star Member
Nov 6, 2011
Hi guys,

please I need your assistance!
Last year I did the landing but I haven't completely established in Canada (I visited my wife only for very short periods in this last year, 3 weeks in August, 3 weeks during the Christmas Vacations and 3 weeks last month).
When I did the landing I asked the Border officer that I wanted to consign the B4 and B4A forms with the list of my goods.
But he responded me that the B4 and B4A forms must be consigned only when a person intends to establish in Canada permanently.
I asked several times this fact and he responded always in that manner.

Now it's arrived the time to relocate permanently in Canada, so I'd like to ask you:
"Is it correct what the Border Officer told me?"
I'm scared of the fact that I will bring with me all my stuff and, at the border, the Officer can refuse my B4 forms with the list of my goods because in their Immigration system it is written that I already landed.

Thank you in advance for the response
Bye

Alberto.

solomonwise

Jun 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alberto70 said:
Hi guys,

please I need your assistance!
Last year I did the landing but I haven't completely established in Canada (I visited my wife only for very short periods in this last year, 3 weeks in August, 3 weeks during the Christmas Vacations and 3 weeks last month).
When I did the landing I asked the Border officer that I wanted to consign the B4 and B4A forms with the list of my goods.
But he responded me that the B4 and B4A forms must be consigned only when a person intends to establish in Canada permanently.
I asked several times this fact and he responded always in that manner.

Now it's arrived the time to relocate permanently in Canada, so I'd like to ask you:
"Is it correct what the Border Officer told me?"
I'm scared of the fact that I will bring with me all my stuff and, at the border, the Officer can refuse my B4 forms with the list of my goods because in their Immigration system it is written that I already landed.

Thank you in advance for the response
Bye

Alberto.
Nobody would have told you better than the border officer. If you are in doubt shoot them a mail at the CBSA asking for clarification.

Yashraj

Nov 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

Any recent landing in Calgary? Could you please share your experience?

Best Regards,
YashRaj

Alberto70

Star Member
Nov 6, 2011
solomonwise said:
Nobody would have told you better than the border officer. If you are in doubt shoot them a mail at the CBSA asking for clarification.
Thank you for your response.
I read in the CBSA site: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

Who are considered Settlers?

Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

The problem is that all the times that I filled the Declaration Form I declared that I was a resident not a visitor.
Moreover in the Address field of the Form I always wrote my Wife's Canadian Home Address.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
It will be a problem?
I don't think so, because in their system they already know all my movements in and out Canada :'(

ellie84

Nov 7, 2013
rizmayo said:
Just update your address here (step 3): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp#canada

It will be delivered to your friend's address without a problem, they don't ask you to prove that address is in your name and no one has to sign for it when it is delivered to her mailbox.

Regards,
Thanks. I will.