+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
JDC2011 said:
I have another question, thank you in advance for your help. Me and my husband will land first. I will stay permanently while my husband plans to stay only for 3 weeks. After the 3 weeks stay there, he will go back again to Canada after one or 2 months.

If I can remember correctly, someone had posted that it will take 3 months to process the PR card.

My question.. is it fine if my husband will return to Canada with my kids without the PR card yet?
He will need the PR card to return to Canada, unless he is driving from the USA.

Alternately he can apply for a travel document to return before getting a PR card.

Regards,

Meeho

Feb 4, 2012
Cairo
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
Landing in Toronto for CSQ Applicant?

Hello,
I am CSQ applicant, received my visa with Confirmation of Permanent Residence that included destination Quebec and city Montreal
I have direct flights from my city to Toronto with better rates and wanted to go to land there, would this be a problem?
Please let me know
BR

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Re: Landing in Toronto for CSQ Applicant?

Meeho said:
Hello,
I am CSQ applicant, received my visa with Confirmation of Permanent Residence that included destination Quebec and city Montreal
I have direct flights from my city to Toronto with better rates and wanted to go to land there, would this be a problem?
Please let me know
BR
No problem at all you will complete your landing formalities at Toronto and the take a domestic flight or drive to Montreal (or wherever you are planning to settle).

Don't forget to calculate the Toronto-Montreal flight when looking at total cost. Domestic flights can be very expensive here at times.

Regards,

cam1234

Star Member
Jul 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rizmayo said:
Fellas,

This may have been answered earlier but I am not able to find answer to my question.

1) http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/
In the above URL, B4 "Personal Effects Accounting Document" and B4A "Personal Effects Accounting Document (list of goods imported)" between the 2 of these, which one is goods accompanying and goods to follow? B4A is just an extension of form B4. So if you run out of space to write on form B4, you can continue the list on form B4A. I prefer to group items on form B4 and then use a standard excel sheet (this practice is accepted by CBSA) to give details of each group, instead of form B4A.
For example on form B4 I would make category called electronics. Then on the excel sheet I would list down all the electronics items one-by-one along with serial numbers and estimated value of each item. The total value of all the electronics items is the value I would put on form B4 for the group.

2) I don't remember where I heard or read this, but is it true that one needs to attach invoices of imported goods less than one year old?
Please clarify this. No, but you may need to show the receipts to show you have owned the item for more than 6 months, if the items looks brand new. You cannot bring any new unused item as part of the new immigrant duty exemption.
Rizmayo or sinestra, do we need to take pictures of everything we are bringing on the day of landing (eg. Gold and Jewelry) AND pictures of clothing/furniture that will be sent later?

Thank you,
Cam

sam439

Star Member
Apr 15, 2013
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2013
AOR Received.
16-09-2013
File Transfer...
26-10-2013
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2014
LANDED..........
Will be by April 2014
Vancouver14 said:
Hi Leon,

Thanks for your reply..

My all queries are well answered.

I am from India. Is there any issue at Indian Immigration while departure as I will be carrying more than 10000$ which I feel every immigrant has to carry. Do you have any idea on this?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Friends I too have the same doubt...Please let us know what happens at the Indian Immigration at departure? will they ask abt how much currency are we carrying?

Thanks

JDC2011

Oct 18, 2011
rizmayo said:
He will need the PR card to return to Canada, unless he is driving from the USA.

Alternately he can apply for a travel document to return before getting a PR card.

Regards,
Thanks a lot for your reply Rizmayo. Since we are not driving from USA, how can we apply for a travel document for him?

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
JDC2011 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply Rizmayo. Since we are not driving from USA, how can we apply for a travel document for him?
Here you go: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Regards,

sinestra

Apr 28, 2013
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-10-2013
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Passport Req..
08-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
cam1234 said:
Rizmayo or sinestra, do we need to take pictures of everything we are bringing on the day of landing (eg. Gold and Jewelry) AND pictures of clothing/furniture that will be sent later?

Thank you,
Cam
Only gold and jewelry photographs are required.
That will include the ones you are wearing.

sinestra

Apr 28, 2013
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-10-2013
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Passport Req..
08-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
Many thanks Rizmayo!!
+1 for you!!

amit80203

Champion Member
Apr 9, 2013
App. Filed.......
18th Oct 2017
AOR Received.
7th Dec 2017
sam439 said:
Hi,

Friends I too have the same doubt...Please let us know what happens at the Indian Immigration at departure? will they ask abt how much currency are we carrying?

Thanks
This is what I have got from internet.
http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason22may2013.pdf

OUT GOING PASSENGERS
7.Indian residents going abroad are permitted to take with them
foreign currency without any limit so long as the same
has been purchased from an authorized foreign exchange
dealer.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
rizmayo said:
Congrats on landing.

First of all, I am curious about what documents you were gathering for POF, no document are required for this.

Secondly, what many people do not realize is that showing POF (cash, DD, etc.) is part of a random check and not everyone is asked for them. Also most of us inform CBSA that we are carrying more then C$10,000 and this is the same as showing POF.

Regards,
Gathering bank statements from all our separate bank accounts I mean when I say proof of funds. Surely one needs to gather these documents. Karachi is an enormous city and we had a few bank accounts spread across different areas of the city, so gathering the proof of funds became a very time consuming task in our end days. We also wasted time in getting pictures for the jeweler. No CBSA officer inquired about this. Time was also wasted making a 'list of goods' and 'list of goods to follow', again when presented to YVR airport officials, they said this document is only required when cargo to Canada is already booked. All in all, we wasted a lot of time trying to make everything perfect when the landing experience is fairly relaxed, friendly and easy.

sam439

Star Member
Apr 15, 2013
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2013
AOR Received.
16-09-2013
File Transfer...
26-10-2013
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2014
LANDED..........
Will be by April 2014
amit80203 said:
This is what I have got from internet.
http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason22may2013.pdf

OUT GOING PASSENGERS
7.Indian residents going abroad are permitted to take with them
foreign currency without any limit so long as the same
has been purchased from an authorized foreign exchange
dealer.
Thanks Amit. Awesome

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
jazibkg said:
Gathering bank statements from all our separate bank accounts I mean when I say proof of funds. Surely one needs to gather these documents. Karachi is an enormous city and we had a few bank accounts spread across different areas of the city, so gathering the proof of funds became a very time consuming task in our end days. We also wasted time in getting pictures for the jeweler. No CBSA officer inquired about this. Time was also wasted making a 'list of goods' and 'list of goods to follow', again when presented to YVR airport officials, they said this document is only required when cargo to Canada is already booked. All in all, we wasted a lot of time trying to make everything perfect when the landing experience is fairly relaxed, friendly and easy.
Bank statements are not accepted as proof of funds when landing in Canada, they are only required at the time of application. You need to just tell CBSA how much you are carrying. Sorry to hear you wasted so much time with this. If you had posted this question earlier, someone on this forum would have helped you.

The CBSA officer was incorrect when he told you about the goods to follow list. The provision to have the goods to follow list stamped, for bringing items at a future time, only applies to first time landing immigrants or temporary residents allowed to stay in Canada for a period exceeding 3 years. For every subsequent trip, you only need the goods to follow list, if have booked to cargo that will come in a few days' time (this is what the CBSA officer was telling you). My best guesses for why you faced this would be:
1. The CBSA officer was new and was not aware there is a provision for new immigrants to get form B4e stamped for bringing in goods at a later date (duty free).
2. The CBSA officer did not for some reason realize you were landing for the first time as a new immigrant.

As jewelry pictures are required as part of this formality, it is clear why they did not ask your for these.

For everyone reading this post, please know that getting the goods to follow list (form b4e) stamped for goods we can bring in later at any time, is a privilege given to new immigrants and not a requirement of CBSA. I have even read posts from members here, where the CBSA officers have refused (not politely declined, but refused) to stamp form B4e. If we actually have goods that we want to bring later we should insist on CBSA stamping these or demanding to speak to their supervisors. If you don't have any taxable items you want to bring later, don't bother with the goods to follow list. CBSA is not interested in stamping the goods accompanied list unless you are importing the car you driving in.

Regards,

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
To top off all the incompetency, let me tell you this as well. The Vancouver airport officials did not record our declared funds on the landing document as well (there is a field on the COPR 'money in possession') which the CBSA official conveniently penned in as a '0' whilst I was carrying $9000. We had trouble later trying to deposit that cash into our Scotiabank accounts as the bank did not believe we declared our funds and would not deposit them. Canada is a very inconvenient country mind you (and I've been living in a western country for the past 4 years before I went to Canada - and my jaws dropped at many of the things I saw in Canada. Quite backward in many ways).

As for taxable items and the goods to follow list, I find the idea absurd. Why is Canada so greedy as to tax personally purchased items overseas? I've been living in England for the past 4 years, and travelled frequently between England and Pakistan - and there is no such concept here (of goods to follow etc). Surely whilst I'm travelling to Canada from overseas, as long as the items are packed in my luggage, nobody should care? Can anyone here please expound upon taxable items?

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
rizmayo said:
Bank statements are not accepted as proof of funds when landing in Canada, they are only required at the time of landing.
Thank you for your response. However I'm sorry I don't still get what you mean. You have kind of contradicted yourself here in this sentence.

I myself am a relaxed, carefree and frequent traveler, my parents however were panicking so they gathered such documents (proof of funds). Different people told my parents different things and scenarios, so their level of panic kept increasing and they kept wasting time in such things. I myself spent time in printing off the photos of the jewellery and all. However, no stamping was done at the airport. But other travellers have different experiences.

The CBSA officers did know we were entering the country as landed immigrants for the first time (you have to show your passport before you get anywhere outside the airport gates - and we must have showed our passports with the entry visas as well as landing documents to at least 3-4 different groups of CBSA officials). I think you are right in that we should have to demand the stamping of the forms, however this request of ours was declined. However, I think we brought anything we wanted to within our luggage and no more goods should follow apart from personal effects whilst travelling.