+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Calgary.. Good idea right now?

aiklamha

Jul 20, 2014
Dear Seniors,

After a testing wait for 5 years, finally I received PPR2 last week and expecting my visa any time now. Guessing from my medical date, I assume the visa validity will be till 1st week of August 2015. That means I have short time to plan my life ahead. I want to learn from your experiences so please answer my following questions

My brief profile: An IT professional working in Oman. Certified in Oracle, Java and PMP. Heading the department in a multinational company.

1. I want to land in Calgary, what is the good time for a job hunt? How is the economy in Calgary right now? Any idea about IT jobs?
2. What is the living expense for a family of three (husband,wife, and a 3 year old)? Housing? Groceries? Bills? Car? Others?
3. Because I applied in 2010, the credentials equivalence wasn't required. Would it help if I get credentials assessed now?
4. Do we have to declare absolutely everything that we carry with us (or to follow) while landing or only valued items?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will answer some of the questions. Hopefully others will answer the rest:

2) It depends on what house you take (In NW, a 3 bedroom single detached will probably cost you at least rent $1800 + utilities), what types of groceries you consume, how much water/electricity/sewage you use and what car you drive, etc.
4) Yes and especially indicate in a B4/B4a form

To have a better idea of the housing rental and grocery prices, you can always check websites such as rentfaster.ca and safeway.ca.

For further reading, read these threads:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-experience-calgary-alberta-t120819.1320.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/calgary-alberta-settlers-lets-network-here-t245772.300.html

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
aiklamha said:
Dear Seniors,

After a testing wait for 5 years, finally I received PPR2 last week and expecting my visa any time now. Guessing from my medical date, I assume the visa validity will be till 1st week of August 2015. That means I have short time to plan my life ahead. I want to learn from your experiences so please answer my following questions

My brief profile: An IT professional working in Oman. Certified in Oracle, Java and PMP. Heading the department in a multinational company.

1. I want to land in Calgary, what is the good time for a job hunt? How is the economy in Calgary right now? Any idea about IT jobs?
2. What is the living expense for a family of three (husband,wife, and a 3 year old)? Housing? Groceries? Bills? Car? Others?
3. Because I applied in 2010, the credentials equivalence wasn't required. Would it help if I get credentials assessed now?
4. Do we have to declare absolutely everything that we carry with us (or to follow) while landing or only valued items?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
To be honest, I don't think it's a good time in Calgary at all. A lot of layoffs happened recently and more may soon. On top of that , many companies are on a hiring freeze. Since you are new (with no Canadian experience) I guess you would be at disadvantage in the presence of many others looking for jobs who recently got laid off. However as a side note
the economy in BC and ON seems to be getting better.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AlexRox said:
To be honest, I don't think it's a good time in Calgary at all. A lot of layoffs happened recently and more may soon. On top of that , many companies are on a hiring freeze. Since you are new (with no Canadian experience) I guess you would be at disadvantage in the presence of many others looking for jobs who recently got laid off. However as a side note
This is nonsense. There are also layoffs in ON (and other areas in Canada) recently:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/29/cibc-job-cuts-layoffs_n_6575602.html

On the other hand, I suggest the OP to continue his decision to land in Calgary, but should return to keep his job in Oman and wait to move to Canada for good when the economy rebound (as long as he meets the PR obligation).

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
steaky said:
This is nonsense. There are also layoffs in ON (and other areas in Canada) recently:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/29/cibc-job-cuts-layoffs_n_6575602.html

On the other hand, I suggest the OP to continue his decision to land in Calgary, but should return to keep his job in Oman and wait to move to Canada for good when the economy rebound (as long as he meets the PR obligation).
This is written with no proper understanding of what I commented.

Well.. Layoffs are happening everywhere, I never said it's only happening in AB. But I guess, most would agree with the situation in Calgary. Also I suggest you to post some articles or links with some comparison.

two extracts from the following article
"Growth in Ontario's economy is projected to come in at a healthy 2.9 per cent this year, roaring ahead of the national average of 1.9 per cent for the first time since 2002

At the same time, sinking oil prices have put the brakes on growth in Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Saskatchewan this year, the forecast said. Alberta's GDP is expected to shrink by 1.5 per cent."

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/02/23/economy-consumer-confidence-brighten-in-ontario.html

Calgary might see some rebound later, however since the dynamics in the Oil and Gas has changed significantly. So it's too early to predict.(see below)

However in the short term, It's a bad idea to land in Calgary. He is asking about living in the city [Topic: Landing in Calgary.. Good idea right now?] where he lands.

[Also I suggest the initiator to read the previous posts before giving a weight on the their advice and how illogical some of the users have given advice on economic matters/investments ,etc]

from Jim Cramer's thestree.com
The energy space is extremely opaque at the moment and I don't think anyone knows whether oil will be at $30 or $80 a year from now, although Goldman Sachs seems to change its price outlook on a monthly basis. This is the first time we have seen this sort of plunge outside a global recession since 1998 and, unfortunately, the huge decline caught almost every analyst/pundit from left field

aiklamha

Jul 20, 2014
steaky said:
I will answer some of the questions. Hopefully others will answer the rest:

2) It depends on what house you take (In NW, a 3 bedroom single detached will probably cost you at least rent $1800 + utilities), what types of groceries you consume, how much water/electricity/sewage you use and what car you drive, etc.
4) Yes and especially indicate in a B4/B4a form

To have a better idea of the housing rental and grocery prices, you can always check websites such as rentfaster.ca and safeway.ca.

For further reading, read these threads:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-experience-calgary-alberta-t120819.1320.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/calgary-alberta-settlers-lets-network-here-t245772.300.html
Dear Steaky,

Thanks for your valuable input. So you mean, I have to declare everything regardless of the value?

The links are really helpful.

aiklamha

Jul 20, 2014
AlexRox said:
Dear AlexRox, Thanks for your reply. I have been reading news about economical slump in Calgary and your response just confirms it. I have to go to Calgary because I already have friends and extended family there. I have an option of keeping my job till end of this year and I am not sure if it is worth it to come back only for 5 months.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aiklamha said:
Dear Steaky,

Thanks for your valuable input. So you mean, I have to declare everything regardless of the value?

The links are really helpful.
Yes

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
A good portion of Alberta's economy is the oil/energy sector. Global oil prices have been taking a beating lately, and any company associated with the oil industry has also taken a beating. This is happening in many places (not just Canada). Many US based oil companies are also laying people off.

aiklamha

Jul 20, 2014
RocketCity said:
A good portion of Alberta's economy is the oil/energy sector. Global oil prices have been taking a beating lately, and any company associated with the oil industry has also taken a beating. This is happening in many places (not just Canada). Many US based oil companies are also laying people off.
Dear RocketCity, thanks for your reply. It seems that it is not a good idea to try and settle in Calgary before the economy picks back up...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aiklamha said:
Dear RocketCity, thanks for your reply. It seems that it is not a good idea to try and settle in Calgary before the economy picks back up...
Not only Calgary but the rest of the country. You should land first, then sort it out and return to your job in home country.

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
steaky said:
Not only Calgary but the rest of the country. You should land first, then sort it out and return to your job in home country.
This is good advice, especially if you already have a good paying job in your home country (or country of residence). I'm planning to land whenever I get my passport back, but I won't make the move permanently unless:

* I find a job in Canada
* I get laid off from my current job.

omoba7

Apr 16, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-13
RocketCity said:
Yeah..you are correct. I currently work in an oil servicing firm and to be honest...we are just going to work every new week with the hope of not getting laid off. Our competitors have been laying off their staff. I and my work colleagues are now saving as much as possible because there is so much uncertainty at the moment. The sad part again is that Alberta economy is largely dependent on oil. Most industry in Alberta are connected to the industry. My friend working as an IT staff in one of the University is also scared of getting laid off as funding has greatly reduced from the Alberta government due to fall in oil price.

bhushans

Mar 13, 2015
This thread is of interest to me, since, I am planning my move to Canada - based on the Oil & gas sector's promising growth (in long term, that is..)
I haven't yet begun processing documents for preparing EE profile. (So, we can say, I am 6 months away from Canada - at the very least).

steaky said:
Could you please explain a little on how this can happen?

Please correct me if I am wrong in my below understanding:

>I can get Visa on Passport on 1st Nov 2015 (for e.g.) -- READY to fly to Canada.
>>I fly to Canada on 15th Nov 2015.
>>>Do my landing/entry formalities, get the PR card in ~ 22 days ~ 10 Dec 2015
>>>>Fly back to India on 11 Dec 2015?

>Return back to Canada after quitting job from India (preferably after having job offer from Canada/Alberta).

Is the above process acceptable/okay?

I think, this is much safer way of doing this, rather than migrating right after getting VISA.

Inputs welcome,

Bhushan.

S7

Jun 10, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Application sent on 02 MAY 2014 Received at CIO on 08 May 2014 CC Charged on 9 July 2014 PER 19 AUG 2014 RPRF 8 April 2015
Med's Request
09 April 2015
Med's Done....
11 April 2015
Interview........
24 Mrch2015 Abu Dhabi
Passport Req..
1st May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2015 - Passport sent - 5th May 2015 - Passport returned 21 May 2015
LANDED..........
Landed 10 Aug 2015
Hi I have the same concern.... I have always planned to land in Calgary and live and work there. The layoffs are everywhere..

I don't want to go to Toronoto.. i hate traffic :)

may be ottawa... buti still want to go to calagay..... is anyone living there now who replied. we all read from the internet. would like to hear a real experience of a person who landed and found a job recently