+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Alberta and moving to Ontario in few months - Health Insurance queries

Sindan

Jun 17, 2017
Hi All,

I am a new immigrant moving to Edmonton, Alberta temporarily ( I think ) . Basically I am visiting my sister who lives there, for two months (I think ) . Eventually, I plan to move to Toronto, Ontario.

If I apply for Alberta Health Insurance(AHCIP), it would be effective the moment I land with no waiting period but if I don't end up staying in Alberta for 6 months in a year, I will need to pay any hospital bills that arise.
But, If I go to Ontario 2 months after I land and then apply for Ontario's health insurance (OHIP) , It would be active only after 3 months. ie, 5 months for which I will need private insurance.

1) Can I take private insurance for the entire 5 months from Alberta, or will I need to take it for 2 months in Alberta and 3 months in Ontario, till the OHIP is effective?

2) Can I apply for OHIP while I am in Alberta?

3) Can I apply for OHIP when I arrive in Toronto if I have an active AHCIP , or will I have to cancel AHCIP first?

what would you suggest I do in this scenario?

Thanks plenty,

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi All,

I am a new immigrant moving to Edmonton, Alberta temporarily ( I think ) . Basically I am visiting my sister who lives there, for two months (I think ) . Eventually, I plan to move to Toronto, Ontario.

If I apply for Alberta Health Insurance(AHCIP), it would be effective the moment I land with no waiting period but if I don't end up staying in Alberta for 6 months in a year, I will need to pay any hospital bills that arise.
But, If I go to Ontario 2 months after I land and then apply for Ontario's health insurance (OHIP) , It would be active only after 3 months. ie, 5 months for which I will need private insurance.

1) Can I take private insurance for the entire 5 months from Alberta, or will I need to take it for 2 months in Alberta and 3 months in Ontario, till the OHIP is effective?

2) Can I apply for OHIP while I am in Alberta?

3) Can I apply for OHIP when I arrive in Toronto if I have an active AHCIP , or will I have to cancel AHCIP first?

what would you suggest I do in this scenario?

Thanks plenty,
1 - You should get a private travel medical insurance plan, to cover you for at least 5 months. When you move from Alberta to Ontario you can update them with your new address, ann the plan should simply follow you.

2 - No. You must be physically residing in Ontario with a verified Ontario address.

3 - Since you won't meet the Alberta residency requirements for AHCIP, not sure if it's worth it to even apply. Any use of AHCIP, you would just need to pay back in full after you left Alberta.

Reactions: Sindan and canuck78

Sindan

Jun 17, 2017
Thank you Rob_to for the answers. Very helpful!

When you say I need a ‘verified’ Ontario address, will an airbnb address or temporary accommodation address work? Could I give the address of friends with whom I might lodge for a while, for instance

Also, if I take the AHCIP, can I apply for OHIP too when I get to Ontario ( whenever it is )?

If I really need hospitalisation during these 3 months, I would likely go back to Alberta to my sister anyway.
Honestly since I am just moving to the country none of these plans are fixed. If I get a good job in BC for instance, I will move there in a heartbeat :)