+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing - How detailed should the list of goods be?

blacknirvana

Star Member
Jul 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa (COPR office London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 16th 2014
Doc's Request.
July 9th 2015
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
March 5th 2015
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
March 15th 2015
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
Sep 9th 2014 (up-front)
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
Oct 21st 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Nov 6th 2015
LANDED..........
Planned landing Dec 15th 2015
When landing (in two weeks) I understand I need to bring a list of goods in my suitcase.

"two (2) copies of a detailed list of all goods (personal or household items) you intend to bring into Canada as settler’s effects (showing the value, make, model and serial number if the item has one). Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you and the goods to follow.".

- How detailed should this list be? Are we talking stuff like, "Two pairs of underwear" etc?
- Do we need to include all items in both mine, my sons and my wife's (sponsor) suitcases?

We will go back to my home country to finish up a few details in January and then return to Canada in february, bringing a few more suitcases with stuff.

- Would that be considered "goods to follow"?

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
blacknirvana said:
When landing (in two weeks) I understand I need to bring a list of goods in my suitcase.

"two (2) copies of a detailed list of all goods (personal or household items) you intend to bring into Canada as settler’s effects (showing the value, make, model and serial number if the item has one). Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you and the goods to follow.".

- How detailed should this list be? Are we talking stuff like, "Two pairs of underwear" etc?
- Do we need to include all items in both mine, my sons and my wife's (sponsor) suitcases?

We will go back to my home country to finish up a few details in January and then return to Canada in february, bringing a few more suitcases with stuff.

Yes , just write as much details ( according to the email) as u can.

Goods to follow , in my opinion means the ones u cant bring on the flight and u probably sent thru postage or something but all this is when ur coming d first entry ,

When u go back to ur home country and bring more stuff, u don't need any list again

Hope that helps

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
blacknirvana said:

You don't need to be that detailed. Many people who bring boxes of stuff across the border list things as "2 boxes of clothing", "2 boxes of books", etc. If there is anything of value (jewelry, etc), then yes, list those items separately. I would include everyone that is traveling, just to be on the safe side. And yes, the additional items in the suitcases you will bring later would be goods to follow.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
If we are not bringin anything but the suitcases on the flight to Canada in assuming this goods to follow form doesn't need to be filled out?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You need to list everything coming back to Canada with you as part of the landing. Anything you don't list that arrives later will be subject to taxes. Items to follow are things that will arrive by container or on later trips. Remember, once you have landed and make a trip out of the country, you are subject to the duty free limits set by CBSA, unless you mark items "to follow" on your list. And they need to be imported in a reasonable timeline.

Generic items can be listed fairly vaguely (i.e. 1 suitcase of children's cloths, 1 box of kitchen utensils). You don't have to list them as 19 pairs of sock, 3 black, 5 brown, 11 white! Boxes or suitcases should be numbered or identified in some means, just in case they want to check a specific item, it will help avoid unpacking everything until you find it.

Big ticket items should be listed in detail (TV's, Jewellery, computers, etc) including model, serial, value and place of purchase.