NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
Med's Request
First on 21-12-2013,Second on 22-09-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
Med's Done....
First on 27-01-2014, Second on 27-09-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
Passport Req..
First on 21-12-2013,Second on 16-10-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
VISA ISSUED...
First on 06-06-2014, Second on 14-10-2014 (due to family addition)
hi all...As you know i got my visa...now last date of my visa is 28th Jan 2015...So I am planning to Land in mid Jan with my wife and two small kids...I will not be resigning from my job...I can take max 3 months leave...So my plan is:if I get a job in 3 months I will stay in Canada...else I will continue my life in India...So I want to use these 3 months very carefully...

I have two options..
1.Land in Calgary which is good for my profession(Chemical Eng.) and stay there for 3 months
But i have heard that Job openings are closed in Jan and Feb
Also, as I will not be having my own car initially, travel for attending interviews,house search,getting groceries will be difficult in extreme weather of Calgary

2. Land in Vancouver and return in 15 days and then again come back and land in Calgary in may and stay for 2.5 months
Vancouver is not good for my profession, there is little chance of getting a job there. but as its weather is good I think its better for a short landing with two small kids.Then in May 2015, I can come back alone and land in calgary, stay there for 2.5 months and find a job

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
January is a very bad time for new immigrants or visitors especially if you are coming from a tropical country. Since you are out to explore why not just come alone and see how things go first. Landing with 2 small kids in January is tough considering the weather and the fact that you won't have a car to easily take them around is another issue.

When i talk about weather i mean Calgary's weather.

sharmausct

Jun 24, 2013
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
Med's Request
First on 21-12-2013,Second on 22-09-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
Med's Done....
First on 27-01-2014, Second on 27-09-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
Passport Req..
First on 21-12-2013,Second on 16-10-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
VISA ISSUED...
First on 06-06-2014, Second on 14-10-2014 (due to family addition)
Papa Bomboy said:
January is a very bad time for new immigrants or visitors especially if you are coming from a tropical country. Since you are out to explore why not just come alone and see how things go first. Landing with 2 small kids in January is tough considering the weather and the fact that you won't have a car to easily take them around is another issue.

When i talk about weather i mean Calgary's weather.
hi thnx for your reply...But i dont have any option...visa expiry date for all of my family member is 28th jan...so I must land with family before 28th jan...what is your say..should i go with option 2?

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in Edmonton and today the temperature was -15 C (-22 C with windchill). Things are somewhat similar in Calgary at the moment as well.

I would recommend option 2 due to weather situation in the Prairies in January, BUT will also encourage you to do the following:

a. After landing in Vancouver, purchase magicjack. In case you are not sure of what this device does, please look it up online. It will allow you to setup a Canadian number (for an extra charge), and you can use this number on your resume for potential employers to get a hold of you if needed.
b. Where possible, also update your resume with a local address (friend, relative etc). The local address along with a Canadian number is typically an encouraging sign for many employers, and increases the chances of a call back.
c. Submit as many resumes as possible before landing using local contact info of a friend/relative if available - if things work out you might be able to swing a few interviews during your landing trip.

I am basing this on personal experience where I had three interviews lined up before landing. Out of these, two led to offers.

And being a chemical engineer myself, I agree that you will have better luck in Alberta and Saskatchewan currently than in BC.

A small market is slowly developing in the Maritimes area with off-shore operations in NL, but on average more openings in the provinces I have listed above.

CanadaPR2015

Sep 7, 2014
Hi,

I'm on the same situation, but my visa will be expired on end of April'15 (have 2 kids).

I'm a Mech. Engineer. I need to land at Toronto.

But once if we come back to India after landing, how can we return back to Canada without PR card?

Shall we able to setup a Canada # from India in MajicJack?

Thanks for the advise.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sharmausct said:
I can take max 3 months leave...So my plan is:if I get a job in 3 months I will stay in Canada...else I will continue my life in India...So I want to use these 3 months very carefully...
Why are you so stressed about work? You have to do job all your life. So land and enjoy the country for 3 months and then thinking of finding a job. As a chemical engineering, you will ultimately find a job.. don't have to worry about not finding one. Land in Calgary, Edmonton even better. Vancouver is more of a corporate type job hotspot. For your type of jobs... New Brunswick is a good province, they have chemical plants there.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaPR2015 said:

Thanks for the advise.
I had majicjack, after one or two months it stopped working. The product is a scam. Simply download an app called Voipwise on to your iphone or android. This will give you free calls all over North America and Europe and very cheap calls to Asian countries. Good Luck !

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaPR2015 said:
Hi,

I'm on the same situation, but my visa will be expired on end of April'15 (have 2 kids).

I'm a Mech. Engineer. I need to land at Toronto.

But once if we come back to India after landing, how can we return back to Canada without PR card?

Thanks for the advise.
Don't know about India (ISP blocking etc), but I know I was able to set it up in Pakistan in 2010.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SinghLovCan said:
I had majicjack, after one or two months it stopped working. The product is a scam. Simply download an app called Voipwise on to your iphone or android. This will give you free calls all over North America and Europe and very cheap calls to Asian countries. Good Luck !
I am surprised to hear that. Do you mean it stopped working in Canada or stopped working in India? If Canada, then that's very strange, since the device is still running strong at our apartment. If India, then there might be blocking from the ISP. Also, I am talking about the physical device, NOT the app on Android/iPhone.

The intention for getting magicjack was not to make calls to North America, but to actually generate a North American number which could be used on resumes. We haven't used a landline since we landed - have only used magicjack for calls to US landlines which could not be completed via Viber/Lime etc.

To keep the discussion on point: my only reason for suggesting this device was for job hunting purposes. Others may have used different methods to search and apply for jobs before being physically present in Canada. I can only suggest what worked (well) for me.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am surprised to hear that. Do you mean it stopped working in Canada or stopped working in India? If Canada, then that's very strange, since the device is still running strong at our apartment. If India, then there might be blocking from the ISP. Also, I am talking about the physical device, NOT the app on Android/iPhone.
Yes I had the physical device. I bought it within 1 week of arrival. I saw it at the future shop. For the 1st month it was working perfect. Then the second month it would connect and sometimes not connect. Then the third month.. nobody could hear me on the device, I could hear the party I dialed too. I ultimately got frustrated and stopped using it. Then I download voipwise.com , which you have to pay a little, but it never let me down. But now a days there are many voip apps that you can download on your iphone, such as voipwise, viber, Skype, tango.. just to name a few. Don't have to go and actually buy a physical magic jack thing.

The intention for getting magicjack was not to make calls to North America, but to actually generate a North American number which could be used on resumes. We haven't used a landline since we landed - have only used magicjack for calls to US landlines which could not be completed via Viber/Lime etc.

To keep the discussion on point: my only reason for suggesting this device was for job hunting purposes. Others may have used different methods to search and apply for jobs before being physically present in Canada. I can only suggest what worked (well) for me.

I agree job hunting requires making a lot of calls and this can be very expensive. But let me tell you, lets say if you are in AB and you applied for a job in BC using that magic number, some ppl frown on calling back on North American numbers, especially US number.. bcoz it can be expensive, plus the number might show you being in a different location and your actual location is different. I would rather pay $20.00 to my cell provider and get a nationwide service. $20.00 won't break your bank and wont hurt you financially. Just the old indian mentality.. desi man doesn't want to spend a single penny ! LoL Cheesy

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SinghLovCan said:
I agree job hunting requires making a lot of calls and this can be very expensive. But let me tell you, lets say if you are in AB and you applied for a job in BC using that magic number, some ppl frown on calling back on North American numbers, especially US number.. bcoz it can be expensive, plus the number might show you being in a different location and your actual location is different. I would rather pay $20.00 to my cell provider and get a nationwide service. $20.00 won't break your bank and wont hurt you financially. Just the old indian mentality.. desi man doesn't want to spend a single penny ! LoL Cheesy
@SinghLovCan, I think you missed my point.

The sole purpose of the device when I purchased it was for potential employers to call ME and not the other way around AND only when I was not physically present in Canada. This advice was for the very specific scenario of someone like the OP who wants to initiate a job search while not in Canada, or who completed the landing process, went back to their home-country and wanted to continue with their job search from there. Whether or not they wish to use the device once they have landed is up to them (in fact, if you were already in Canada, why DID you buy magicjack?)

It looks like there is some axe to grind here, so I won't continue with this discussion, especially because I suspect this discussion is getting off-topic. My intention here was NOT to antagonise, but to provide feedback based on personal experience (did I mention that it worked for me?).

If you have specific feedback to provide to the OP on how to continue with a job search while outside Canada, feel free to share.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think I misunderstood. Yes you are right if it is for job search before landing or outside Canada. Then this device is good, but usually they ask for your address and which province you are living in etc..etc..

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fdk511 said:
@ SinghLovCan, I think you missed my point.

(in fact, if you were already in Canada, why DID you buy magicjack?)
That was a mistake. I was fresh at that time and I had no knowledge. My phone bill was skyrocketing due to the calls I use to make. So I bought this magicjack, spent $60.00 and it came with a 1 year membership.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
For all job seekers, I would recommend this

Plan your move ! - Its best to pack up from your home country and move permanently. You WILL find a job in couple of months (thats where the Landing funds come handy). I haven't heard about any skilled immigrants not able to find a job. Probably you may have to work in another profession for couple of months, study a course, get some Canadian experience before you find a job in your skillset. But it will be worth it.

Canadian job market is not bad, there are jobs all over. There are hundreds of recruiters looking for skilled workers. All you need is patience and faith that you would find a job!

Good luck !

jdn

Sep 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2014
Med's Request
30-09-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2014
Passport Req..
23-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2014
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
Dear All ,

I am planning to land in Alberta by 2015 .

I would like to get suggestions regarding

1, Which is the first place of entry airport preferred in Alberta .We are a family of 5 ( with 3 small kids ) so please let us know your suggestion so that we can avoid too much land transport immediately after landing .
2, If we are travelling through Toronto transfer should we do all landing procedures in Toronto or we can wait till we reach final destination in Alberta ?
3 , Considering Extreme temperatures which is the best month to land ?
4, Is the medical coverage includes Pharmacy medicines or only Clinical expenses ?
5, Best place to search for Construction or OIL field Jobs ?
6, My landing destination in CoPR - Novoscotia , but planning to land in Alberta for exploring more Job possibilities . Will this be an issue in Alberta at any later processing time ?

Thanks in advance for your patience in answering .

Jdn