+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing for PR Card, leaving before it's received

lesintheuk

Jan 9, 2009
Maybe Leon or PMM could help with this one? I'm sure it's been asked before but I don't really understand how this is 'allowed'...:-

My husband has been granted PR Visa and we want to go home, to Canada, for a short holiday, then come back to the UK and tie up our loose ends (we have to work out 3 months notice at our employer's, etc). So when we land for our holiday we were going to have the PR Card sent to my relatives who will then send it on to us in the UK (our holiday will only be about 1 week).

BUT, I understand that you are not allowed to leave the country before receiving the PR Card? And when we initially land, will they ask us whether we plan to leave again, we will have return flights (which we don't have to show them if they don't ask, obviously)? I don't mind not offering this information but I also don't want to be deceitful if they do ask us (as in, do they try to 'catch people out', as it were?). Do people really do this quite often - has anyone on this forum in fact, done this?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who said you are not "allowed" to leave the country until you receive the PR card? Not true. When your husband lands, he must give them an address IN CANADA of where to send the PR card. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to receive it. If you are leaving before he will receive it, have it sent to a family member and have them courier it to you in the UK. Tell CBSA the truth at landing. There's no reason to lie.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
And yes, plenty of people do this. By the time their visa expires, a lot of people are not yet ready to move to Canada, so it often happens they go there to land and then return home to wrap up things. Just look around the forum, seems there's one every day! ;)

Just a note about card: be prepared for it to take more than 6 weeks, that's how long I've been waiting for it and it's still not here. But in 3 months, I'm sure it should arrive.

lesintheuk

Jan 9, 2009
I don't know why I thought you weren't 'allowed' to leave before receiving it, I just thought I'd heard that was the case. But having a look on CIC website, you're right, it doesn't really say that anywhere (that i can see). That's good news, we both have to give 3 months notice to our employer's and I also still need to sort out packing and moving the flat as well!

mitamata - I have seen that on 24 August they introduced a 'new look' PR card, maybe that's why it's now taking slightly longer?

Thank you.

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
You probably got confused because you're not allowed to ENTER Canada by commercial transport (Air or Sea) until you have your PR card. You can leave whenever you want, using your UK passport as your travel doc.