+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience

gurdeep

Star Member
Sep 25, 2007
Hi to all.
I am submitting here my landing experience. It was May 31 when I started my journey towards India. I took a Jet Airways flight. As per information given to me by my travel agent, I made 2 baggages of 23 kgs approximately for each person. We were three so we made 6 baggages. At check in, weight was little varying in each bag and they asked me to pay overweight charges of 130 KD a lump sum. There was only minor variation in the weight and they asked me to pay. I am writing here for the information that in future when you travel to Canada be sure about the weight. I did not pay 130 KD and negotiation come to 30 Kd . Flight was on time – at exact time plane moved for Delhi. My next flight was after 4 weeks (28th June 2008). Plane landed at Delhi on time and Airline service was very good.
On 28th June 2008 our departure was at 2.45 am (early morning). This time we reduce the weight even less than 23 kgs each bag to avoid any problem at last moment. Plane moved at exact time and landed at Brussels (Belgium) at the same time as it was given in the tickets, stop was just for two hours, we even could not go to the bathroom and they called for check in. Again we started at the given time. Our arrival at Pearson Airport (Toronto) was at 12 Noon on 28th June 2008, but we landed 20 minutes early. Overall Jet Airways service was excellent. Total flight time was 19 hours including two hours stop at Brussels. Pearsons is a huge airport. We came down from the plane and headed towards immigration counters, that were very far, I believe it took at least 10 to 15 minutes to reach the counter. We were standing in the queue and some one asked us if we are new immigrants, we said yes then he told us to go to the counter on back side. We came to that counter and greeted by lady officer with smile – I believe she was Phillipina by origin. She did all the formalities and asked some regular questions i.e. from where we are coming, for how long we will stay, she asked for the local address I handed over the paper I was ready with a printed sheet of address and telephone numbers. She matched all the data given on COPR with our passports. After completing all the papers she gave us one copy of COPR of each one, put an arrival stamp in our passports and crossed the Canada Visa in our passports because that is for single entry. She said we will receive our PR Card in one month time at the given address. Then she directed us to another window where we were again greeted by a gentleman, he gave us lots of literature and some verbal information about the job and other things and again said Welcome to Canada. The whole process took not more than 30 minutes.
Now we proceeded to take our luggage, a porter asked me how many bags we have, I said six then he asked me if we need his service, I said yes, because our daughter is two and half year old and it was very difficult to manage. I even did not ask him how much he will charge. We found 5 bags but one was missing. We searched all over but could not find, then we decide to report for the lost baggage. We filled the form and gave it to the representative at the counter; he put all the data in the computer and said if we got your bag we will deliver at your home by tomorrow. (Our bag was delivered at home on 4th day- bag was untouched they did not try to open it) Still that porter was with us. We took all the bags and headed towards customs. Officer greeted us with Welcome to Canada and the he asked whether we have any goods to follow, I had two copies of the list; officer was very happy to see the list and appreciated. He prepared the document and stamped it and the list. Gave it to us and said to give this list at customs when your goods actually arrived. Then he asked how much money we have, I had ten thousand cash and rest all the money in the form of bank drafts. He writes down the exact amount what I told him but he did not asked me to show. I had lists for the goods which we were carrying with us, but he did not asked for it and again said Welcome to Canada. Because of the lost luggage it took approximately two hour. At around 2pm we came out, our relatives were eagerly waiting for us, and they were worried because it took too long to come out. It was very exciting and emotional as we saw each other face to face after long time. We moved towards Brampton and reached home safely.
Next day was Sunday; we went to TD Canada Bank to open the joint account. We were asked to show two identifications, I had my passport and my Kuwait Driving License, for my wife and daughter we showed passport and the copy of COPR. Deposited cash only not the drafts as I had to open account in another bank also. We open two types of accounts –one is savings and other one is chequeing, because in savings account each transaction has charges of 5 $. Next day we went to Scotia Bank and opened again two accounts and deposited all the drafts. All these drafts were cleared in six business days.
We got our first bank statement on 14th July 2008. To apply for Health Cards we need to give the proof of residence that is the first bank statement came by post. On 15th July we went to apply for Health Card at Mississauga. The office is located near square one. Office is at 2nd floor we were asked by the receptionist whether we are applying for health for first time, I said yes. She gave us three forms to fill and token number to wait for the turn. We even could not fill the forms and our number flashed at screen. The lady officer greeted us with smile. I said our forms not yet filled completely, she said you can fill the forms and let me know, in the mean time I will attend another customer. We did the same, after filling the forms she attended to us so nicely; she gave the filled papers to cross check about spellings of the names and address etc. Then she picture for me and my wife, no need for the picture for kids up to 16 years of age. She said we will get our Health Cards before 28th September 2008 by post.

On July 18 2008 I took a written test for driving licence and succeeded. Now I will take a road test after few days and hope to get "G" licenc directly

This was my landing story. I hope many of the forum members will get some help from my story.
I wish all the members in the queue for the early and favorable decision. I thanks to the entire forum members for helping me whenever I need the help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gurdeep said:
Hi to all.
I am submitting here my landing experience. It was May 31 when I started my journey towards India. I took a Jet Airways flight. As per information given to me by my travel agent, I made 2 baggages of 23 kgs approximately for each person. We were three so we made 6 baggages. At check in, weight was little varying in each bag and they asked me to pay overweight charges of 130 KD a lump sum. There was only minor variation in the weight and they asked me to pay. I am writing here for the information that in future when you travel to Canada be sure about the weight. I did not pay 130 KD and negotiation come to 30 Kd . Flight was on time – at exact time plane moved for Delhi. My next flight was after 4 weeks (28th June 2008). Plane landed at Delhi on time and Airline service was very good.
On 28th June 2008 our departure was at 2.45 am (early morning). This time we reduce the weight even less than 23 kgs each bag to avoid any problem at last moment. Plane moved at exact time and landed at Brussels (Belgium) at the same time as it was given in the tickets, stop was just for two hours, we even could not go to the bathroom and they called for check in. Again we started at the given time. Our arrival at Pearson Airport (Toronto) was at 12 Noon on 28th June 2008, but we landed 20 minutes early. Overall Jet Airways service was excellent. Total flight time was 19 hours including two hours stop at Brussels. Pearsons is a huge airport. We came down from the plane and headed towards immigration counters, that were very far, I believe it took at least 10 to 15 minutes to reach the counter. We were standing in the queue and some one asked us if we are new immigrants, we said yes then he told us to go to the counter on back side. We came to that counter and greeted by lady officer with smile – I believe she was Phillipina by origin. She did all the formalities and asked some regular questions i.e. from where we are coming, for how long we will stay, she asked for the local address I handed over the paper I was ready with a printed sheet of address and telephone numbers. She matched all the data given on COPR with our passports. After completing all the papers she gave us one copy of COPR of each one, put an arrival stamp in our passports and crossed the Canada Visa in our passports because that is for single entry. She said we will receive our PR Card in one month time at the given address. Then she directed us to another window where we were again greeted by a gentleman, he gave us lots of literature and some verbal information about the job and other things and again said Welcome to Canada. The whole process took not more than 30 minutes.
Now we proceeded to take our luggage, a porter asked me how many bags we have, I said six then he asked me if we need his service, I said yes, because our daughter is two and half year old and it was very difficult to manage. I even did not ask him how much he will charge. We found 5 bags but one was missing. We searched all over but could not find, then we decide to report for the lost baggage. We filled the form and gave it to the representative at the counter; he put all the data in the computer and said if we got your bag we will deliver at your home by tomorrow. (Our bag was delivered at home on 4th day- bag was untouched they did not try to open it) Still that porter was with us. We took all the bags and headed towards customs. Officer greeted us with Welcome to Canada and the he asked whether we have any goods to follow, I had two copies of the list; officer was very happy to see the list and appreciated. He prepared the document and stamped it and the list. Gave it to us and said to give this list at customs when your goods actually arrived. Then he asked how much money we have, I had ten thousand cash and rest all the money in the form of bank drafts. He writes down the exact amount what I told him but he did not asked me to show. I had lists for the goods which we were carrying with us, but he did not asked for it and again said Welcome to Canada. Because of the lost luggage it took approximately two hour. At around 2pm we came out, our relatives were eagerly waiting for us, and they were worried because it took too long to come out. It was very exciting and emotional as we saw each other face to face after long time. We moved towards Brampton and reached home safely.
Next day was Sunday; we went to TD Canada Bank to open the joint account. We were asked to show two identifications, I had my passport and my Kuwait Driving License, for my wife and daughter we showed passport and the copy of COPR. Deposited cash only not the drafts as I had to open account in another bank also. We open two types of accounts –one is savings and other one is chequeing, because in savings account each transaction has charges of 5 $. Next day we went to Scotia Bank and opened again two accounts and deposited all the drafts. All these drafts were cleared in six business days.
We got our first bank statement on 14th July 2008. To apply for Health Cards we need to give the proof of residence that is the first bank statement came by post. On 15th July we went to apply for Health Card at Mississauga. The office is located near square one. Office is at 2nd floor we were asked by the receptionist whether we are applying for health for first time, I said yes. She gave us three forms to fill and token number to wait for the turn. We even could not fill the forms and our number flashed at screen. The lady officer greeted us with smile. I said our forms not yet filled completely, she said you can fill the forms and let me know, in the mean time I will attend another customer. We did the same, after filling the forms she attended to us so nicely; she gave the filled papers to cross check about spellings of the names and address etc. Then she picture for me and my wife, no need for the picture for kids up to 16 years of age. She said we will get our Health Cards before 28th September 2008 by post.

On July 18 2008 I took a written test for driving licence and succeeded. Now I will take a road test after few days and hope to get "G" licenc directly

This was my landing story. I hope many of the forum members will get some help from my story.
I wish all the members in the queue for the early and favorable decision. I thanks to the entire forum members for helping me whenever I need the help.
Congratulations

PMM

immhelp

Jul 12, 2008
Hello Mr. Gurdeep

Congrats on reaching Canada....
I have a query for myself can you please help me out, i applied from Saudi arab and i have gone through my medicals this month and have send RPRF also, Can you let me know how much time from now it will take for me to recieve pp Request from london office.

suggest me which flight we can take from india...
you can send me email when ur free as you must be busy in setting up ur home...
my email id is immcana@gmail.com

hope to hear from you soon....

Thanks

ocanada

Star Member
Apr 29, 2008
congrats to you and your family gurdeep.
god bless you all and all the best in your future life.
OCANADA :)

ali786leo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Gurdeep

I have one question Like a person in canada is landing I have booked some accomodation for few weeks then how come I will give my permeant address to all places , can I use my any relative address for all paper work. how is job market of canada how is the life of canada can u pls give me some information.

Regard
SID

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can use a relatives address for mail, it's a good idea. Less likely that something will get lost while you are moving from temporary housing to more permanent. In my experience, I have had an easy life in Canada. It depends on where you are how easy it is to find a job. You can see a unemployment rate map of Canada at http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/map-canada-jobs/ and when you click on the province, it tells you something about the job situation there.

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
Congratulations Gurdeep and thanks for sharing the experience. I got my passport stamped yesterday with the landing date no later than 08 Feb'09. This experience of yours will definitely help me when going through this whole process.

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW ADVENTURE.

rajesh3140

Apr 19, 2007
Hi Gurdeep,

Please accept my heartiest congratulations on your successful landing. Your description of it was very detailed and informative. Please keep us posted in future too. Just to let you know that I received my medical requests and am about to take it on August 7th.

Good luck to you and God Bless,
Regards,
Rajesh3140

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
Congratulations Gurdeep!
Thanks for sharing your landing experience. Very informative.
Definitely keep us posted on the job front, etc...

Happy settling!

rahul0910

Aug 27, 2008
Hi Gurdeep,
thanks for your detailed description...maybe you are the first person to make it look so simple and nice in Canada....I have applied too and got the final call to submit my documents finally. But its taking me long to get my Police verification done from bahrain and than Dubai....anyways you take care and all the best. I hope you will do well in canada, which is ofcourse my dream country to live in. Please mail me if you get time my id is rush2rahul911@gmail.com

muru

Sep 5, 2008
gurdeep said:
Hi Gurdeep,

Congratulation on your safe arrival at Canada. Thank you very much for your detailed explanation of your landing experience. Hope it would be helpful for so many people like me. I have completed the medical and waiting for their next call.

Keep sending your valuable canadian experience for us.

Happy Settling

Muru