+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Hello there,

Booked CAnadian Airways to Toronto pearson airport. From the canadian immigration in london i received a very good welcome on board, welcome to canada, welcome to toronto.

Left london at 1905 and arrived toronto at 22.35pm. Directed to canada border services where i had indicated i was carrying cash 10,000 $ (which was bank draft 8000 and travellers cheque of 2000 canadian dollars.) Checked my documents and asked me to go to the immigration. There were no que coz i think it was late at night. So i proceeeded to immigration section. The immigration officer took my cbis, my ppt and copr. He asked do you have family living in canada i.e. for address: i said i have my sisters address. He asked for it and completed my CORP. He asked if i was carrying any cash i said yes but not hard cash. He asked me to sign the form and told me welcome to canada and good luck.

I proceeded to the exit but ineeded cash for taxi. Because i had cash i was told i have to go to customs to declare it. I went there the lady was very nice asked me if i had anything i was carrying to declare. I said no. SHe asked you have 10000 i said yes. She just let me go and said welcome to canada smilling happily.

I proceeded to ground level for 'Robert Q' which i paid 47 $ to london ontario where i had booked to stay in a hostel. I arrived there at 2pm and they were expecting me. The following day on Thursday i checked the internet for the Healthcard centre which was at 217 York street and Human resources which was in Queens street/Richmond Street. At 217 York Street, I needed to show 3 things. Which i only had 2, ppt and COPR. The lady assured me that the Healthcard comes out automatically after 90 days, and its counted from the date i landed so she told if by then i will still have problems confirming proof of address, i could go back and explain and they will be able to help. 2ndly she suggested i could come with my sister to confirm that i live in that address. This took nearly 30 minutes.

I then proceeded to Human resource centre, i presented my documents, and it took another 30 minutes to be given a SIN which i was informed will be posted to me between 7-10 days. I was given very many resources, agencies to contact for work which will be useful on return. I was also told computers and telephones were available to contact employers of interests. There was also an advisor standby to help with cv. But because i had no intentions of looking for work i never used this resources.

I then proceeded to the bank, I opened an account with Canada Trust. There banking system is very streamlined. They have differnt accounting system. You cannot open an account without having a chequing account(Value, value plus, infinity etc). So i opened 2 accounts with them.

Because i also had bankers draft and it was drawn to be deposit in bom. So i proceeded there and i was served within no time and at 2pm i had already finished all this and i felt going back home not to spend alot. I went home and the following morning it heavily snored. So i did call the airline to change my flight instead of wednesday and left on saturday instead. I was very excited compared to all the services i have ever received in a foreign country this was the best experience for me.

Because i am intending to return to canada in February and baby on the way, i was given good resources to help when i arrive and what sort of help will be available for me and the baby. I did decide not to stay so that i could not loose my maternity occupational pay in uk. We are intending to have our baby in canada, because of climatic reasons. For us to be entitled for maternity pay in canada, i was advised i must be able to work 600 hours which to me will be impossible.

Canada is very beautiful and cant wait to o back!! and settle!!

For those who are still waiting its worth the long wait.

c_j_l_1

Oct 3, 2007
Cograts on the landing! Talking of maternity benefits, how much mat leave do they get? and is it full pay etc?

Clare

gurdeep

Star Member
Sep 25, 2007
Very nice... You have expressed very nicely. Good luck !

martha marita said:
Hello there,

Booked CAnadian Airways to Toronto pearson airport. From the canadian immigration in london i received a very good welcome on board, welcome to canada, welcome to toronto.

Left london at 1905 and arrived toronto at 22.35pm. Directed to canada border services where i had indicated i was carrying cash 10,000 $ (which was bank draft 8000 and travellers cheque of 2000 canadian dollars.) Checked my documents and asked me to go to the immigration. There were no que coz i think it was late at night. So i proceeeded to immigration section. The immigration officer took my cbis, my ppt and copr. He asked do you have family living in canada i.e. for address: i said i have my sisters address. He asked for it and completed my CORP. He asked if i was carrying any cash i said yes but not hard cash. He asked me to sign the form and told me welcome to canada and good luck.

I proceeded to the exit but ineeded cash for taxi. Because i had cash i was told i have to go to customs to declare it. I went there the lady was very nice asked me if i had anything i was carrying to declare. I said no. SHe asked you have 10000 i said yes. She just let me go and said welcome to canada smilling happily.

I proceeded to ground level for 'Robert Q' which i paid 47 $ to london ontario where i had booked to stay in a hostel. I arrived there at 2pm and they were expecting me. The following day on Thursday i checked the internet for the Healthcard centre which was at 217 York street and Human resources which was in Queens street/Richmond Street. At 217 York Street, I needed to show 3 things. Which i only had 2, ppt and COPR. The lady assured me that the Healthcard comes out automatically after 90 days, and its counted from the date i landed so she told if by then i will still have problems confirming proof of address, i could go back and explain and they will be able to help. 2ndly she suggested i could come with my sister to confirm that i live in that address. This took nearly 30 minutes.

I then proceeded to Human resource centre, i presented my documents, and it took another 30 minutes to be given a SIN which i was informed will be posted to me between 7-10 days. I was given very many resources, agencies to contact for work which will be useful on return. I was also told computers and telephones were available to contact employers of interests. There was also an advisor standby to help with cv. But because i had no intentions of looking for work i never used this resources.

I then proceeded to the bank, I opened an account with Canada Trust. There banking system is very streamlined. They have differnt accounting system. You cannot open an account without having a chequing account(Value, value plus, infinity etc). So i opened 2 accounts with them.

Because i also had bankers draft and it was drawn to be deposit in bom. So i proceeded there and i was served within no time and at 2pm i had already finished all this and i felt going back home not to spend alot. I went home and the following morning it heavily snored. So i did call the airline to change my flight instead of wednesday and left on saturday instead. I was very excited compared to all the services i have ever received in a foreign country this was the best experience for me.

Because i am intending to return to canada in February and baby on the way, i was given good resources to help when i arrive and what sort of help will be available for me and the baby. I did decide not to stay so that i could not loose my maternity occupational pay in uk. We are intending to have our baby in canada, because of climatic reasons. For us to be entitled for maternity pay in canada, i was advised i must be able to work 600 hours which to me will be impossible.

Canada is very beautiful and cant wait to o back!! and settle!!

For those who are still waiting its worth the long wait.

Wopms6

Nov 13, 2007
Successful landing, Good luck
I wish you all guys who are intending to settle in Canada a successful landing.

I have a question guys. Is it illegal to bring with you cash when landing? How can I bring money with me? should I open a bank account when arrived?

Please advise
Thanks

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Hello there,

Its not illegal to bring cash but i would imagine it would be risky for you. holding cash on you but make sure you declare it. If you do not declare any cash on you then its illegal and could be judged as.
why not get bankers drafts.