Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-09-2017
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-11-2017
Thought I'd provide my landing experience from yesterday at YYC.

I am a US Citizen travelling on a US Passport.

I arrived at YYC about 1PM. I made my way to the immigration hall. Even though I have NEXUS, I decided to use the normal US/Canadian Citizen line/kiosks. I was a bit confused on how to complete the declaration card as I wasn't really here for business or personal. I ended up choosing personal and saying that my stay was for 1 day. I went through the questions on the kiosk and proceeded to the CBSA Officer line. Total time: about 2 minutes.

I gave the CBSA officer my kiosk printout and showed him my COPR. He said "oh, you're landing today", marked a giant "E" on my printout and sent me over to the new immigrant room. It's a glass walled room with a giant "E" on it. It's to the left of the baggage carousels.

Upon entering the room, I took a number. There were 2 people ahead of me. One of them was in the wrong place, so he was dealt with quickly. I waited about 10-15 minutes. The officer called me up. I provided my COPR, passport and a Canadian address written down. He was happy I had everything ready and told me it would take about 15 minutes and he'd call me back up.

Once he called me back up, he asked me the crime/dependent questions. I initialed next to "No" that he had written by each. He advised me of residency requirements, told me that I should keep my signed COPR for "the rest of my life", and gave me a sheet about getting a SIN, etc. He then wished me a good day and told me to proceed to the exit.

At the exit, I provided the kiosk printout to the officer and he just said "ok, goodbye". I exited the immigration hall for the first time as a Canadian PR!

I was also able to go to Service Canada at the Harry Hays Building downtown. The Service Canada office is open until 4 PM. I got there around 3:50 and they allowed me in. There were several people ahead of me getting SINs but it was still fairly quick.

A note of NEXUS: it seems if you already have NEXUS, you have to wait until you get your PR card in order to update it. You have to update it in person at an enrollment center. The CBSA officer that processed my landing said that until it is updated, you will probably get sent to immigration secondary if you try to use a NEXUS line. However, if you are travelling with a US passport, you will still be able to come and go via planes, you should just probably use the standard line for processing when you arrive until you get your PR card and get your NEXUS account updated at an enrollment center.

issac1990

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sharjah
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-09-2017
Hi,
Your post has been informative. I am alos planning to land in YYC on 26th of April with my wife. Would like to hear more about your life in YYC? Hows the job market? how to rent a flat?
Thanks and regards

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Port Alice, British Columbia
Category........
FAM
Thought I'd provide my landing experience from yesterday at YYC.

I am a US Citizen travelling on a US Passport.

I arrived at YYC about 1PM. I made my way to the immigration hall. Even though I have NEXUS, I decided to use the normal US/Canadian Citizen line/kiosks. I was a bit confused on how to complete the declaration card as I wasn't really here for business or personal. I ended up choosing personal and saying that my stay was for 1 day. I went through the questions on the kiosk and proceeded to the CBSA Officer line. Total time: about 2 minutes.

I gave the CBSA officer my kiosk printout and showed him my COPR. He said "oh, you're landing today", marked a giant "E" on my printout and sent me over to the new immigrant room. It's a glass walled room with a giant "E" on it. It's to the left of the baggage carousels.

Upon entering the room, I took a number. There were 2 people ahead of me. One of them was in the wrong place, so he was dealt with quickly. I waited about 10-15 minutes. The officer called me up. I provided my COPR, passport and a Canadian address written down. He was happy I had everything ready and told me it would take about 15 minutes and he'd call me back up.

Once he called me back up, he asked me the crime/dependent questions. I initialed next to "No" that he had written by each. He advised me of residency requirements, told me that I should keep my signed COPR for "the rest of my life", and gave me a sheet about getting a SIN, etc. He then wished me a good day and told me to proceed to the exit.

At the exit, I provided the kiosk printout to the officer and he just said "ok, goodbye". I exited the immigration hall for the first time as a Canadian PR!

I was also able to go to Service Canada at the Harry Hays Building downtown. The Service Canada office is open until 4 PM. I got there around 3:50 and they allowed me in. There were several people ahead of me getting SINs but it was still fairly quick.

A note of NEXUS: it seems if you already have NEXUS, you have to wait until you get your PR card in order to update it. You have to update it in person at an enrollment center. The CBSA officer that processed my landing said that until it is updated, you will probably get sent to immigration secondary if you try to use a NEXUS line. However, if you are travelling with a US passport, you will still be able to come and go via planes, you should just probably use the standard line for processing when you arrive until you get your PR card and get your NEXUS account updated at an enrollment center.
So since I too am a US Citizen I can leave after Landing and reenter just in my Passport?? That would be great cause I’m staying only a week after landing to house hunt with my husband then flying back to US to finish tying up loose ends before flying back permanently.