+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience - Calgary Alberta

brighta

Jul 24, 2012
betterfuture said:
Brighta,

Would you mind describing how you got this short accommodation? I'm researching through kijjij since I'm landing on may 16th. And if you don't mind how many bedrooms and how much are you willing to pay for it?

Thanks in advance
Dear Betterfuture and An74

I got this short term accommodation from https://www.airbnb.com/ site. I came across it by chance and i found t very useful: be a member and you will have many options to choose depending on your interest. I will be paying CAD 95 per day for a week. It is a two bedroom basement, clean, bright and close to everything you need as described by Amikety

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
brighta said:
Dear Betterfuture and An74

I got this short term accommodation from https://www.airbnb.com/ site. I came across it by chance and i found t very useful: be a member and you will have many options to choose depending on your interest. I will be paying CAD 95 per day for a week. It is a two bedroom basement, clean, bright and close to everything you need as described by Amikety
thanks 1+ for you

ublerum

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
8-March 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-Sept-2012 (PPR 1) 26th Oct 2012( PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
7th Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Feb-March 2013 INSHALLAH
Its been a month since we arrived in Calgary..we found a one bedroom nice new apt in saddleridge..my son has started school ...everything is fine except my hubby is desperately looking for a job..its very hard to find a professional job so soon so anyone who knows about any job please let me know..It will be really a help.Thanks

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ublerum said:
Its been a month since we arrived in Calgary..we found a one bedroom nice new apt in saddleridge..my son has started school ...everything is fine except my hubby is desperately looking for a job..its very hard to find a professional job so soon so anyone who knows about any job please let me know..It will be really a help.Thanks
You aren't giving us much to go on with "professional" job. What type of work is your husband considering? Has he contacted Labour Ready? They can help him find temporary work, so at least he has some income. My husband's job hires workers from Labour Ready to help unload orders from delivery trucks. Not fun, but at least it's work and he can meet people and learn about opportunities.

betterfuture

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Caracas, Venezuela
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2011 Received by CIO: 13-04-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted with the application (Overall 7.0)
Med's Done....
Jun 18,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Aug 20, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 15, 2012
LANDED..........
May 16, 2013
ublerum said:
Hi ublerum,

What kind of profession your husband has ? And if you don't mind, how did you find the one bed apartment? I'm planning to land in may so I'm trying to gather pretty much information as I can...

betterfuture

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Caracas, Venezuela
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Jun 18,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Aug 20, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 15, 2012
LANDED..........
May 16, 2013
One more question for the experienced ones.... Regarding the list of the goods to bring canada. Which are necessary to take pictures and give them to customs at the landing ? I've read that laptops are now mandatory as well as jewelry. I did know about picture of the last ones.

As usual thanks in advance

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
myluckyprincess said:
hi. for those who already have settled in Calgary, do you think these studies are true?

Top 1 Large City: Calgary (#2 Ottawa; #3 Edmonton)

#1 Best Place to Raise Kids: Calgary

#3 Best Place for New Immigrants: Calgary (#1 Burlington; #2 Vaughan)

Source: http://www.moneysense.ca/2013/03/20/canadas-best-places-to-live-2013/

I am landing next month insha ALLAH at Toronto then go to Calgary as final destination.......i checked ur link but try to read the reader`s comment on this subject.......seems scary....most of them disagree sharply that Calgary is the best place to live in canada most of them agree that calgarians are snoppy and rude compared to other canadian citizens......hope someone who lives there can verify this argument....especially Amitkey......

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
betterfuture said:
One more question for the experienced ones.... Regarding the list of the goods to bring canada. Which are necessary to take pictures and give them to customs at the landing ? I've read that laptops are now mandatory as well as jewelry. I did know about picture of the last ones.

As usual thanks in advance
hi there,

I am also planning to land in May at Calgary,insha ALLAH, how did u know that laptops should be photographed as jewlleries how about desktops and other smart devices likes IPAD,Iphone.....

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
ublerum said:
Hi Ublerum,

can you please tell me how u found this one bedroom,and how much u pay as rent.....i am aslo planning to land at Calgary next month and we are a couple with one infant, i will look for a 1 bedroom with living room in the range of 1200$ in FalconRidge.

thanks

by the way whats ur husband`s profession, i can assist by giving some good centers that prepare newcomers to canadian workplace and strategies of finding jobs.

betterfuture

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Caracas, Venezuela
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Jun 18,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Aug 20, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 15, 2012
LANDED..........
May 16, 2013
ramzy2277 said:
hi there,

I am also planning to land in May at Calgary,insha ALLAH, how did u know that laptops should be photographed as jewlleries how about desktops and other smart devices likes IPAD,Iphone.....
I read it here in the forum in one of the posts but I don't remember exactly which one was. it was called landing experience something, I think.

Im not clear with this, Reason why I'm asking to the ones who have this kind of experience..

betterfuture

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Caracas, Venezuela
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Jun 18,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Aug 20, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 15, 2012
LANDED..........
May 16, 2013
ramzy2277 said:
Hi Ublerum,

can you please tell me how u found this one bedroom,and how much u pay as rent.....i am aslo planning to land at Calgary next month and we are a couple with one infant, i will look for a 1 bedroom with living room in the range of 1200$ in FalconRidge.

thanks

by the way whats ur husband`s profession, i can assist by giving some good centers that prepare newcomers to canadian workplace and strategies of finding jobs.
Ramzy, maybe u could help me a little bit with my profession. I'm mechs la engineer with project management experience in Oil&gas refineries for the last 7+years. If you can guide me on where to go to ease the job haunting I would appreciate it.

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
betterfuture said:
Ramzy, maybe u could help me a little bit with my profession. I'm mechs la engineer with project management experience in Oil&gas refineries for the last 7+years. If you can guide me on where to go to ease the job haunting I would appreciate it.
hi there,

i am instrumentation engineer myself,also have exp in oil and gas.....but first did u start assessing ur credials...check the website for APEGA.....as for service centers try theses:

http://www.directionsforimmigrants.ca/

http://www.engineerscanada.ca

http://www.apega.ca/

http://www.mycareerconnection.ca

www.skillsinternational.ca

hope those can help for starters

betterfuture

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Caracas, Venezuela
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Jun 18,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Aug 20, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 15, 2012
LANDED..........
May 16, 2013
ramzy2277 said:
hi there,

i am instrumentation engineer myself,also have exp in oil and gas.....but first did u start assessing ur credials...check the website for APEGA.....as for service centers try theses:

http://www.directionsforimmigrants.ca/

http://www.engineerscanada.ca

http://www.apega.ca/

http://www.mycareerconnection.ca

www.skillsinternational.ca

hope those can help for starters
Thanks for the information ramzy, I did check the apega and even when I got copy of my transcripts and title degree diploma certified by the university, the apega is now requiring those copies to be in a sealed envelope and to be sent to them directly by the university which is a liltle difficult to do in this country since they don't speak English at all and mainly because they don't provide that kind of services..

Other requirement is the copy of the landing or pr card... At date I haven't landed yet so I will have to wait in order to apply.

Very good web pages you referenced in the post, I'll bookmark them and give them a look.

Send me a pm where we can talk further about how we can approach to a perfect job in Canada. Btw, I am planning to settle in Calgary city.

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
betterfuture,

i am also planning to go to calgary, but I think its best to keep an eye or other smaller cities or even other promising provinces like NewFoundLand and Sasketchewan as they have O&G industry booming in those places and I guess the competition is less there.....its very hard for newcomers to compete in the canadian market....i think we should focus on doing some bridge programs and find volunteer jobs in my industry ,its like a transition period before landing on a real job.....the thing that worries me beside finding a job is the transportation.....i read calgary has bad transportion compared to other major cities like toronto and vancouver ......i guess it would be difficult for a family with infant to move around the city and trying to catch a bus or a whats called C-train....!!......i am thinking to rent a car with my international driving license but i dont know about the requirements ??

obaid.Samee

Apr 8, 2010
KArachi, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3rd July 2009
Doc's Request.
31st August 2009
File Transfer...
9th septemeber2009
Med's Request
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2013
LANDED..........
21-04-2013
ramzy2277 said:
betterfuture,

i am also planning to go to calgary, but I think its best to keep an eye or other smaller cities or even other promising provinces like NewFoundLand and Sasketchewan as they have O&G industry booming in those places and I guess the competition is less there.....its very hard for newcomers to compete in the canadian market....i think we should focus on doing some bridge programs and find volunteer jobs in my industry ,its like a transition period before landing on a real job.....the thing that worries me beside finding a job is the transportation.....i read calgary has bad transportion compared to other major cities like toronto and vancouver ......i guess it would be difficult for a family with infant to move around the city and trying to catch a bus or a whats called C-train....!!......i am thinking to rent a car with my international driving license but i dont know about the requirements ??
Dear Ramzy,

About a week from now i was also banging my head finding a place for me in Calgary. I had a similar situation. A family of 3 me, my wife and a 2 1/2 year old cute, naughty daughter. No one was willing to give me a place to live as ppl avoid giving place to new comers (they require past reference but not all of them) secondly under 18 family member (though most adorable :) part of family but still) is mostly not welcome in the house (amikety will back me here as i have been discussing things like this very often with her). So now I had two problems no past references and a under 18 in family. Luckily I found a friend whose relative live in Calgary. they helped me finding a place in NE. I wired the advance from my home country to my new home and reserved the place. Finding a place in a new city is tough job. So I would suggest you should not be choose at the start of your move (am I right amikety?).

The other thing is ur international driving license and rent-a-Car. Since you require insurance before you sit on the driver seat :) and new license holder's insurance is usually very high so it is up to you. I have heard from my friend that for a rent a car the company will arrange for your insurance on international license. Just helping you with facts mate as I have been going through with all this.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
OS