12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
samoo said:
Thanks for all in thread for the information, can any share some details about SW
And what is the standard for study in Calgary university
I live in SW Calgary. What would you like to know?

Pros:
- Good transit. Two train lines service the SW. One goes all the way to Somerset in the Deep South and the other goes out west from downtown to 69 St (out past the Shaganappi golf course). There's only two train lines in Calgary..... ;)
- Well maintained for the most part
- Access to Fish Creek Park and Glenmore Reservoir
- Flatter land (for the most part) than other parts of Calgary. It's still very hilly in Erlton and other areas nearer to downtown.
- 17th Ave SW is a very trendy neighborhood. Areas like Marda Loop are very popular. There are no 'undersirable' neighborhoods in the SW.

Cons:
- Houses are more expensive. I think the SW is the richerest quadrant (but I don't have data to say for sure).
- Some areas are remote from the rest of Calgary (Deep South)

University of Calgary is the NW. Depending on where you live in the SW, it would take up to an hour to get there by train, maybe longer if you live on the edges of the city. Areas like Springbank Hill and Evergreen it's already a 20+ minute bus ride to the train station, then the train ride.

I know nothing about their admissions requirements. I tried to attend Mount Royal University (in the SW) and they were unknowledgable in my opinion. I gave up trying to deal with Canadian schools and took my classes online with a US school. (I'm a US citizen.)

If you have questions, feel free to ask. If I don't know, I usually ask my husband. He's my secret weapon because he's Canadian :p

Charm28

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Oct-09
Doc's Request.
10-Dec-09
AOR Received.
10-APR-2010
File Transfer...
16-Dec-2009
Med's Request
13-Feb-2012
Med's Done....
17-Mar-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
planning to land on Jan 2013 :)
Dear Seniors, hope somebody can reply to this query ASAP.

We will be landing in Calgary soon (we're in transit in South Korea), it will be via Vancouver. In vancouver the lay over is only 2 hours. Before I purchased the tickets I asked the agent and the airline itself which is my point of entry Vancouver or Calgary and both of them mentioned Calgary.

Please clarify my confusion, do I need to do my landing in Vancouver, pick up my luggage and check in again. When we had checked in last night the counter said I'll pick my luggage in Calgary.
Please advice

Thanks,
Charm

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Charm28 said:
Please clarify my confusion, do I need to do my landing in Vancouver, pick up my luggage and check in again. When we had checked in last night the counter said I'll pick my luggage in Calgary.
Please advice

Thanks,
Charm
Since your first port of entry in Canada is Vancouver, you will do your landing formality in Vancouver. Your connection flight to Calgary is a domestic flight.

samoo

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
issued
amikety said:
I live in SW Calgary. What would you like to know?

Pros:
- Good transit. Two train lines service the SW. One goes all the way to Somerset in the Deep South and the other goes out west from downtown to 69 St (out past the Shaganappi golf course). There's only two train lines in Calgary..... ;)
- Well maintained for the most part
- Access to Fish Creek Park and Glenmore Reservoir
- Flatter land (for the most part) than other parts of Calgary. It's still very hilly in Erlton and other areas nearer to downtown.
- 17th Ave SW is a very trendy neighborhood. Areas like Marda Loop are very popular. There are no 'undersirable' neighborhoods in the SW.

Cons:
- Houses are more expensive. I think the SW is the richerest quadrant (but I don't have data to say for sure).
- Some areas are remote from the rest of Calgary (Deep South)

University of Calgary is the NW. Depending on where you live in the SW, it would take up to an hour to get there by train, maybe longer if you live on the edges of the city. Areas like Springbank Hill and Evergreen it's already a 20+ minute bus ride to the train station, then the train ride.

I know nothing about their admissions requirements. I tried to attend Mount Royal University (in the SW) and they were unknowledgable in my opinion. I gave up trying to deal with Canadian schools and took my classes online with a US school. (I'm a US citizen.)

If you have questions, feel free to ask. If I don't know, I usually ask my husband. He's my secret weapon because he's Canadian :p
Thank you very much.what about the living cost Is it relay you get financial support if you decide to take aprogram or msc.or phd? what about middle and high schools level in SW .

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I have no children, so I know nothing about the schools. Cost of living in SW is average for Calgary. Rent is a little higher than NE/SE. Gas is cheaper in the Deep South than rest of the SW.

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
amikety said:
I have no children, so I know nothing about the schools. Cost of living in SW is average for Calgary. Rent is a little higher than NE/SE. Gas is cheaper in the Deep South than rest of the SW.
How can i get accommodation in NE bc more DESI over there I have two kids 6 and 10 yrs and one wife

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
amikety said:
Hello Amikety
Could you please tell me that are some engineering jobs available in or near your area? The reason i am asking is because you mentioned the area is safe and i would be coming with my family.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
yy1gc said:
Hello Amikety
Could you please tell me that are some engineering jobs available in or near your area? The reason i am asking is because you mentioned the area is safe and i would be coming with my family.
Calgary is rather safe overall.

The way jobs work, I would focus on getting the job first, then picking a long term place to live (buy a house). You don't want to box yourself in a corner of the city.

Here's an search on "engineer" from monster.ca. I didn't put a speciality. http://jobsearch.monster.ca/search/Alberta+Calgary+engineer_125?where=Calgary__2c-Alberta&rad=8

(Some jobs are old so you can usually pass on them. I wouldn't bother applying for anything over 2 weeks old unless you heard from a contact they were still looking.)

If they list the location within Calgary - the address, shopping/industrial plaza, neighborhood, etc, you can find it on Google Maps. For example, to find the neighborhood of "Nose Hill" you type into the location bar on Google Maps "Nose Hill, Calgary, AB" and it will center on the map. Then you can see what is around it, it's location in the city, etc. Google will help you find near by shopping centers, schools, bus stops.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
an74 said:
How can i get accommodation in NE bc more DESI over there I have two kids 6 and 10 yrs and one wife
First, get a hotel for at least a few days. Then use www.kijiji.com or www.rentfaster.ca to search for apartments.

Do not give cash for a security deposit. It's best to write a check. If you can't get a check yet because your account is new, ask the teller at the bank about a cashier's check or money order. Ask about the rules for fraud (in case you get scammed). Ask because I don't know them yet. :'( Make sure you get a receipt on the spot. If the place is empty, the landlord will probably give you the keys and let you move in a few days early. We moved in Dec 28th for a January 1st lease.

If the water is hooked up, make sure the toilet flushes and the water gets warm without a long wait. Make sure the doors close all the way and don't fall open. Make they cabinet doors open easily in the kitchen. If the fridge is on, make sure it's cold (it may be unplugged to save the landlord money). If there's power, make sure all lights turn on and off. Ask where the fuse box is. Ask where the water meter and cut off are. Ask about snow removal and yard maintance, as well as outdoor storage for lawnmowers, snow shovels, etc. (Shoveling the snow from the sidewalk in front of your house is required by law in the city. If you don't shovel, you may get reported to the city and given a ticket. The city will come and check.)

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
an74 said:
Hi an74,

I could not help notice the specific reference to "one wife" .....and I smiled :).

Canada does not allow "Polygamy", my friend :) ( I know you did not mean it to sound that way).

Mitali

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mitali said:
Dear amikety,

You are doing a splendid job .... +1

Mitali
Thank you :)

indeed201

Feb 25, 2013
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2013
Wow -- great post Aquib ...that was really helpful for newbie

samoo

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
issued
amikety said:
Thank you
Then what you think about a family of 3 kids, is SW good to live or we have to look for other region

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
samoo said:
Thank you
Then what you think about a family of 3 kids, is SW good to live or we have to look for other region
Most regions of Calgary are good for kids.

Are you going to look for a survival job while you upgrade your education or do you plan to try to find work in your field right away?

If you're looking for survival work, you may want to look for a home near a shopping center, such as Chinook or Southland in the SW. There's other areas in the city with shopping center too all over the city. There will be lots of transit and retail jobs in the area. Then you can also look into schools nearby.