+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience - Calgary Alberta

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Could you please explain a little bit more and provide name of the positions where average wage was $25/hour in Calgary in 2011? Moreover, please provide some of the positions' name for survival job that pays $14-$15. Thank you.

amikety said:
Wages completely depend on your job. Average wage in Calgary in 2011 was $25/hour. A good survival job pays $14-15/hour.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I got this entirely from a new article published by Rutgers.

Retail department manager was one that paid $25/hr on average.

Security guard pays $14/hr on average.

This website is very helpful: http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Country=Canada/Salary

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
amikety said:
I got this entirely from a new article published by Rutgers.

Retail department manager was one that paid $25/hr on average.

Security guard pays $14/hr on average.

This website is very helpful: http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Country=Canada/Salary
Quick translation:

The wages shown on PayScale are gross wages. That means before tax.

$20 per hour is roughly $40,000 per year.

$30 per hour is roughtly $60,000 per year.

So a job advertizing $41,900 is probably paying around $21 dollars a year. Taxes and benefits can remove 25-40% of your salary. My husband has insane benefits and he brings home 63% of his salary.

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is a link for Minimum wages in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_in_Canada

And as far as the reference for "Average wages" is concerned, that "Number" changes with different tracker companies performing the evaluations.

For reasons "untold" the new immigrant has to really fight for the "minimum wages". One has to be aware of the wages prior to taking up a job. It is a risky thing to tell the employer that - "You are not even offering me minimum wages" because the job would be offered to the next candidate willing to take up the job without any fuss.

@ Amikety, I think it is really tough to find a survival job with a $14/hr pay.I would be happy if someone is being paid that amount. :)

Mitali

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mitali said:
Here is a link for Minimum wages in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_in_Canada

And as far as the reference for "Average wages" is concerned, that "Number" changes with different tracker companies performing the evaluations.

For reasons "untold" the new immigrant has to really fight for the "minimum wages". One has to be aware of the wages prior to taking up a job. It is a risky thing to tell the employer that - "You are not even offering me minimum wages" because the job would be offered to the next candidate willing to take up the job without any fuss.

@ Amikety, I think it is really tough to find a survival job with a $14/hr pay.I would be happy if someone is being paid that amount. :)

Mitali
At the risk of confusing everyone, the meaning behind 'good' in 'good job' implies they rare scarce and harder to find than jobs that pay $10/hr. Not as in a good place to work, good job to have, etc. They might be those too, but my meaning is more top of line jobs that are few in numbers.

It's a bit of lexicon. I'm one of those jerks that knows and uses rare alernative uses for words. Mom and Grandma were English teachers :p

ashique_tas

Jan 23, 2011
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-10
Doc's Request.
25-06-10
Nomination.....
25-06-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR @ 25-06-10;2nd AOR @ 12-10-10
IELTS Request
25-06-10
File Transfer...
26-09-10;Updated docs sent on 21st Feb,2012.
Med's Request
Issued @ 5th July,2012.Received@17th July,2012 By the grace of Almighty Allah!!
Med's Done....
21st July,2012;received by SGVO @ 25th July & docs reached at 2nd Aug by the grace of Allah
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
By the grace of Allah 19.09.2012
VISA ISSUED...
By the grace of Allah 29.10.2012
LANDED..........
By the grace of Allah 4th Feb,2013.
Landing experience at Calgary Intl Airport

Hello all, I just landed at Calgary on BD time 5th Feb 3.30 A.M. First of all, I would like to thanks to Almighty Allah for granting me visa at this land of opportunities.I started from Zia intl airport on 3rd Feb.My flight was Emirates.Please make sure that you are carrying the exact or somewhat pretty close to your weight allowance. I dont know about other airlines.But Emirates is very strict with weight allowance. They will charge you for the extra weight of your luggage.When i first enter into Dhk airport please make sure you weight your luggage & if it is ok then just wrap your luggage from the luggage wrapping counter beside gate 1 of Terminal 1.They will charge you 300 tk/bag. Its really worthy enough cause while transferring luggage the airlines used to throw out your luggage. so if it is wrapped then there is less possibility of being theft or lost. After getting boarding pass I went to the immigration.then after finishing that procedure i went to the lounge.Before entering into that lounge, you have to go through a scanning of everything you hold.at this point they may check sometimes your amount of money.Although they didn't check me out.but its done on random basis.But you should be aware before such incident take place. Now a days I heard that they are making queries about the fund you are going with. Again I am saying i have heard those from different guys over there. Sometimes, if they found anyone is carrying more than 5000$ they are taking the rest of the money.I am not sure although!! First I went to dubai but the transit time was very limited. so i didnt get any chances to roam over there. From Dubai, I flew through Airbus A380.!! Phew!! WHat a plane!! It was awesome..after 9 hours journey i reached to Heathrow.i want to mention here that before starting for your landing at Canada just gather some few dollars or pounds for the transit stations. The stop over time was 5 hours at Heathrow. But i couldn't eat anything over there as I didnt have the change. Plus I couldn't find any money exchange to make my 100 dollar note into smaller one. Although money exchange was there but heathrow was so big that i couldnt find the exchange over there. As i was worried about getting lost over there.Then i took Air Canada from heathrow. it was also 9 and half hours journey probably. I want to mention here that just make sure all your boarding passes will remain at same place.Because in every airport they will search for your remain boarding passes.its common everywhere. When I landed at Calgary, the newly landed peoples line wasn't so big.Immigration dept just saw my papers then forwarded me to the CBSA (Canada Border service Agency) for real immigration process. they asked me a lot of questions regarding my aunt staying at canada,my job at BD,my educational background.Then they asked me is my wife is gonna come to the next flight to Calgary..That was just to make you nervous..I humbly told them that i am unmarried so there is no wife is gonna come out from the next flight..Be prepared about your file. you have to sign three places at your respective COPR.Make sure after signing they are giving you the 3RD Part of your COPR..Its really important for your applying SIN,Health Card & other docs.They gave me 2nd page in lieu of 3rd Page.When I went to service Canada for applying SIN Card they told me that immigration dept gave me the wrong page.so i have to hurry again to the airport for getting the right page..Today is my 3rd day at Calgary. After one hour i will go to Service Canada for applying SIN Card. Just pray for me.I bought ChatR Sim card as they wont give you the post untill and unless you do own a credit card. ChatR service is good and its prepaid..Hope the landing story will help you guys to some extent. if any more information is required i will be there to answer your queries..Take care and Pray for me...

mrgeminian

Star Member
Oct 12, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October,2010
Doc's Request.
14 OCT,2010 docs received by glen
Nomination.....
BD cashed on 25-10-2010
AOR Received.
6-01-2011
IELTS Request
Already Sent with Docs
File Transfer...
PER on 10 th Feb ,2011 and File transfered to VISA office with RBVO. Now it is "In Process" in Dec,2011
Med's Request
24th March,2012
Med's Done....
Not Yet
Interview........
Should be waived
Passport Req..
immediate need
VISA ISSUED...
sooner INSHAA ALLAH
LANDED..........
Thanks for the information. Buy the way when and where are you going to land in Canda?

amikety said:
Unfortunately, your degree is very common. Business Administration/Management is the most common undergraduate degree and there are many MBA holders around. It's good your degree is a Sciences versus an Arts though. They carry a little more weight.

Your experience outside Canada probably won't help you at all. You should be prepared to search for a survival job as well as Business Administrative jobs. I will encourage you to apply for jobs that require expertise and experience, but also consider entry-level jobs as well as jobs in retail management.

For two bedrooms, consider spending $1200-1500 to get a nicer condo or apartment in a decent area. NE and SE are cheapest areas to live in. SW and NW are more expensive, but generally nicer areas. (The really rich parts of the Calgary are almost all in the SW, multi-million dollar homes, etc.)

Calgary recently opened new LRT train lines to really upgrade their transit. They also added a new BRT busline going from Heritage LRT station to the new Southwest train line. In my opinion, the transit in Calgary is really good. If you get a smartphone when you land or you own an iPod, you can download the Calgary transit app for free and use it to help guide you.

No matter your savings, I wouldn't make any large purchases (house, car) until after you secure a job.

Wages completely depend on your job. Average wage in Calgary in 2011 was $25/hour. A good survival job pays $14-15/hour. To enjoy the high life, own a small home or condo and enjoy vacations, I think most people recommend a wage of at least $40/hour - but it all depends on your definition of 'high life' too. I make nothing, have no car, don't own a house, and I'm pretty happy!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mrgeminian said:
Thanks for the information. Buy the way when and where are you going to land in Canda?
I moved to Calgary in July 2011. I'm a "visitor." We (my Canadian husband and I) plan to remain in Calgary at least until I get my Master's degree. Depending on the job market, we might remain here in definitely.

I don't know when I'll land because my PR application is still in process. I'm Family Class through CPP-Ottawa. Average times are posted for 13 months and I applied 15 Jan 2013.

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
Hi all,
I am a silent reader of this great thread as i am planning to move to calgary insha ALLAH.

I am about to make ticket booking from dubai to calgary by emirates airlines For first time landing for my PR process under fsw program, but the flight has one stop at seatle,usa,for 3 hours stop then will take another airline to calgary,my question will i need usa visa to move between terminals in seatle as terminal info cant be shown on the travel agent system.please advise

Thanks

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try to avoid USA

ramzy2277 said:
Hi all,
I am a silent reader of this great thread as i am planning to move to calgary insha ALLAH.

I am about to make ticket booking from dubai to calgary by emirates airlines For first time landing for my PR process under fsw program, but the flight has one stop at seatle,usa,for 3 hours stop then will take another airline to calgary,my question will i need usa visa to move between terminals in seatle as terminal info cant be shown on the travel agent system.please advise

Thanks

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ramzy2277 said:
Hi all,

Thanks
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html

I second the opinion to try to avoid the USA. The security they implemented after 9/11 is insane. The Altanta airport was the first time I'd ever seen a AK-47 in person. (Luckily from far away!) I'm American and I had a harder time at American customs than Canadian as a visitor! (The customs agent asked for two forms of Id. I hand him passport and driver's license. DL has my home address in Ohio on it. He asks where I'm going. Ohio. Then he goes "Is Ohio home for you?" No dummy, I have an Ohio DL because I like the pink license! DEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!! And it got worse from there!)

Can you get a flight that connects in Halifax, Toronto, Montreal.... somewhere on the Canadian east coast? If you give 3-4 hours between flights, you can land on the east coast, then continue to Calgary and have no worries at the Calgary airport! :)

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
amikety said:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_4383.html

I second the opinion to try to avoid the USA. The security they implemented after 9/11 is insane. The Altanta airport was the first time I'd ever seen a AK-47 in person. (Luckily from far away!) I'm American and I had a harder time at American customs than Canadian as a visitor! (The customs agent asked for two forms of Id. I hand him passport and driver's license. DL has my home address in Ohio on it. He asks where I'm going. Ohio. Then he goes "Is Ohio home for you?" No dummy, I have an Ohio DL because I like the pink license! DEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!! And it got worse from there!)

Can you get a flight that connects in Halifax, Toronto, Montreal.... somewhere on the Canadian east coast? If you give 3-4 hours between flights, you can land on the east coast, then continue to Calgary and have no
worries at the Calgary airport! :)

Thanks alot amikety,

After a few replies like urs i changed my mind and spoken to my travel agent about other options,there is one direct flight from abu dhabi to toronto only, but the question is if i make toronto as my poe,and from there i apply for pr card with calgary address will i pick up my card from toronto or they will ask me to come back to toronto...

Second how to make booking for domestic flight from toronto to calgary? How many hours will it take in airplane or on a train?...besides will the immigration officer in calgary ask me for further document since i will give the copr to toronto immigration officer.

Thanks and best regards.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try Emirates from Dubai to London and Air Canada from London to Calgary.

ramzy2277 said:
Hi all,

Thanks

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
They usually mail the cards. About the only time they request in person pick up is they feel there is a problem (such as lying about living in Canada for 2 out of 5 years). You won't have that type of issue because you're new and have lots of time to establish residency.

mrgeminian

Star Member
Oct 12, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October,2010
Doc's Request.
14 OCT,2010 docs received by glen
Nomination.....
BD cashed on 25-10-2010
AOR Received.
6-01-2011
IELTS Request
Already Sent with Docs
File Transfer...
PER on 10 th Feb ,2011 and File transfered to VISA office with RBVO. Now it is "In Process" in Dec,2011
Med's Request
24th March,2012
Med's Done....
Not Yet
Interview........
Should be waived
Passport Req..
immediate need
VISA ISSUED...
sooner INSHAA ALLAH
LANDED..........
ashique_tas said:
Landing experience at Calgary Intl Airport

Hello all, I just landed at Calgary on BD time 5th Feb 3.30 A.M. First of all, I would like to thanks to Almighty Allah for granting me visa at this land of opportunities.I started from Zia intl airport on 3rd Feb.My flight was Emirates.Please make sure that you are carrying the exact or somewhat pretty close to your weight allowance. I dont know about other airlines.But Emirates is very strict with weight allowance. They will charge you for the extra weight of your luggage.When i first enter into Dhk airport please make sure you weight your luggage & if it is ok then just wrap your luggage from the luggage wrapping counter beside gate 1 of Terminal 1.They will charge you 300 tk/bag. Its really worthy enough cause while transferring luggage the airlines used to throw out your luggage. so if it is wrapped then there is less possibility of being theft or lost. After getting boarding pass I went to the immigration.then after finishing that procedure i went to the lounge.Before entering into that lounge, you have to go through a scanning of everything you hold.at this point they may check sometimes your amount of money.Although they didn't check me out.but its done on random basis.But you should be aware before such incident take place. Now a days I heard that they are making queries about the fund you are going with. Again I am saying i have heard those from different guys over there. Sometimes, if they found anyone is carrying more than 5000$ they are taking the rest of the money.I am not sure although!! First I went to dubai but the transit time was very limited. so i didnt get any chances to roam over there. From Dubai, I flew through Airbus A380.!! Phew!! WHat a plane!! It was awesome..after 9 hours journey i reached to Heathrow.i want to mention here that before starting for your landing at Canada just gather some few dollars or pounds for the transit stations. The stop over time was 5 hours at Heathrow. But i couldn't eat anything over there as I didnt have the change. Plus I couldn't find any money exchange to make my 100 dollar note into smaller one. Although money exchange was there but heathrow was so big that i couldnt find the exchange over there. As i was worried about getting lost over there.Then i took Air Canada from heathrow. it was also 9 and half hours journey probably. I want to mention here that just make sure all your boarding passes will remain at same place.Because in every airport they will search for your remain boarding passes.its common everywhere. When I landed at Calgary, the newly landed peoples line wasn't so big.Immigration dept just saw my papers then forwarded me to the CBSA (Canada Border service Agency) for real immigration process. they asked me a lot of questions regarding my aunt staying at canada,my job at BD,my educational background.Then they asked me is my wife is gonna come to the next flight to Calgary..That was just to make you nervous..I humbly told them that i am unmarried so there is no wife is gonna come out from the next flight..Be prepared about your file. you have to sign three places at your respective COPR.Make sure after signing they are giving you the 3RD Part of your COPR..Its really important for your applying SIN,Health Card & other docs.They gave me 2nd page in lieu of 3rd Page.When I went to service Canada for applying SIN Card they told me that immigration dept gave me the wrong page.so i have to hurry again to the airport for getting the right page..Today is my 3rd day at Calgary. After one hour i will go to Service Canada for applying SIN Card. Just pray for me.I bought ChatR Sim card as they wont give you the post untill and unless you do own a credit card. ChatR service is good and its prepaid..Hope the landing story will help you guys to some extent. if any more information is required i will be there to answer your queries..Take care and Pray for me...
woooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww so much clarification from Immigration people..normally they dont do it.....but why from you at calgary?