+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience by car at Peace Bridge POE at Buffalo, NY

sameer318

Mar 16, 2019
I said I have a Canadian address but officer asked me if I am living there, I said no. That's why they didn't apply for PR card
Thanks. This is interesting. I have a 10 year multi entry tourist visa as well, I will check with them if they allow re-entering on that instead of applying for a PRTD. I will report back for the group

tb12_pats

Apr 15, 2019
I said I have a Canadian address but officer asked me if I am living there, I said no. That's why they didn't apply for PR card
Thanks man! This is new (that they didnt apply PR card becuase you are taking u-turn) but it is what it is.

Do you see any downside of not having PR card applied ?

Deeds189

May 14, 2019
Hi All,

I want to share my experience.

Canada POE: Peace Bridge (Fort Erie)
Date of landing : July 16th

At the Entry Toll, We explained to the officer that we are here for landing and handed our passports, the officer asked if we would return to US immediately after landing and we said yes. The officer checked couple of things on his computer and asked our status in USA. Checked our COPRs, handed a yellow slip and all our documents back. Asked us to park our car and head into the CBSA office.

We went inside the building and an officer greeted us and signaled us to the counter. There was no one but us in the office. We handed our passports, yellow slip and our COPR. He asked basic questions regarding our status, what type of qualification I have, where I work and my address to ship the PR card. We also handed out our Goods to Follow copies (2 copies) and photos of the Jewelry. The officer asked to take a seat in order to process all the documents. The officer mentioned that the PR Card will be shipped to the address I provided on the GTF (my friends address). The whole process took about 30 minutes. We were finally called to sign our COPR and a receipt for the GTF was handed back to us. We walked out of the building and headed back into the USA.

There was no question regarding quarantine. I had booked an AIRBNB just in case and cancelled my reservation later.

USA Side:
Visa type: H1B
Officer was very nice and friendly, asked us where we live, where I work, what type of a company it is etc. He scanned our visa's and let us go.

The heavens then POURED!!!!!

Best
Deeds189

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Thank you...this info is very helpful....I am planning to drive through Detroit-Windsor tunnel on 07/26/2020 and return back immediately.
However, my H1B visa is expired but have approved I797.
Anybody kindly clarify couple of my doubts:

Softlanding is still allowed at US-Cad border?
AVR is still allowed while entering US?
No need of 2 week quarantine plan in Canada if returning immediately right?
Check the topic below.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-soft-landing-from-us-after-eo.693114/

You should get all your answers hopefully

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
We did our landing at Peace Bridge/ Fort Erie, NY. Landing was very smooth. Did 14 day quarantine and back using AVR. We used Lewiston Bridge for entering US. The officer wasn't aware much of this process, so the officers next to him helped him and we were saved. It took us almost an hour at the border.
Visa type: H1B and H4

Reactions: praveen07cse

sriks91

Sep 26, 2018
Congratulations.. I wanted to ask you 2 things 1- how you are going to re-enter Canada without PR card ? 2- Is there any online process to apply PRCard ?
A signed COPR copy + valid immigrant visa = can travel via land and air.
A signed COPR copy + expired visa = can travel via land but the airline may not issue a ticket. In this case one can apply for a visa before travel.
Basically the signed copy of COPR is as good as a PR card and it is recommended to save it until one applies for citizenship.
Source: CBSA officer.

Asw192

Jul 17, 2020
Hello guys, here is my experience today:

Canada Entry:

At the toll officer verified our COPR and made us acknowledge by reading out aloud from a paper that basically said, 'I understand and agree to 14 day quarantine'. Before acknowledging I told him that I plan on returning back to USA today, to which he said, 'I understand, you can go back but you still have to acknowledge'. Then he sent us inside the CBSA building where another officer verified docs, he also asked us Proof of funds, took signature and said we can't apply for PR card today since I'm going back to US and gave us a form and asked us to apply whenever we have Canadian Address. Finally another officer asked us to fill out Goods to Follow form and said whenever I plan on getting those items inside Canada they will verify from this list. Overall I felt that couple of officers were confused why I'm going back to USA when my clock starts today for PR but when I explained that my one time visa expires in august and I will be making final move to Canada very soon they understood. I would suggest download and fill out BSF 186 and BSF 186A forms before hand that might save some time.

USA Entry:

My wife and I have valid visa on our passports (mine expires April 2021, wife's expires on Sept 2020). It literally took us less than a min at USA toll, officer asked Citizenship, why and when did u go to Canada, where are you going to in USA and took passports and did his thing on computer and let us go in a minute.

Hope this info is helpful, let me know if you have any questions.
Did you take a rental car to do the landing?

Asw192

Jul 17, 2020

Canada Entry:

At the toll officer verified our COPR and made us acknowledge by reading out aloud from a paper that basically said, 'I understand and agree to 14 day quarantine'. Before acknowledging I told him that I plan on returning back to USA today, to which he said, 'I understand, you can go back but you still have to acknowledge'. Then he sent us inside the CBSA building where another officer verified docs, he also asked us Proof of funds, took signature and said we can't apply for PR card today since I'm going back to US and gave us a form and asked us to apply whenever we have Canadian Address. Finally another officer asked us to fill out Goods to Follow form and said whenever I plan on getting those items inside Canada they will verify from this list. Overall I felt that couple of officers were confused why I'm going back to USA when my clock starts today for PR but when I explained that my one time visa expires in august and I will be making final move to Canada very soon they understood. I would suggest download and fill out BSF 186 and BSF 186A forms before hand that might save some time.

USA Entry:

My wife and I have valid visa on our passports (mine expires April 2021, wife's expires on Sept 2020). It literally took us less than a min at USA toll, officer asked Citizenship, why and when did u go to Canada, where are you going to in USA and took passports and did his thing on computer and let us go in a minute.

Also, is landing through peace bridge only allowed tues to thurs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. This is interesting. I have a 10 year multi entry tourist visa as well, I will check with them if they allow re-entering on that instead of applying for a PRTD. I will report back for the group
Once you land your visa will get cancelled.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A signed COPR copy + valid immigrant visa = can travel via land and air.
A signed COPR copy + expired visa = can travel via land but the airline may not issue a ticket. In this case one can apply for a visa before travel.
Basically the signed copy of COPR is as good as a PR card and it is recommended to save it until one applies for citizenship.
Source: CBSA officer.
This is incorrect. Unless you are a US citizen you need a PR card to fly. Your TRV will get cancelled once you land. A COPR will allow you to enter by land.

sameer318

Mar 16, 2019

Canada Entry:

USA Entry:

Hey one more Q. Did you take your own car OR a rental