+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience - 17th Jan 2019 - Flagpoling - Lewiston Bridge - Took just 20 mins to become a PR

lincford

Nov 20, 2019
Hey everyone
Dunno if anyone will have any answers for me as this is quite specific. I received my COPR (woop) the other day and was planning on flagpoling (I'm inland on BOWP) to activate my PR. However, there is a section on the COPR document which states Charged/convicted of a crime or offence in any country. I was arrested and given a youth reprimand (UK) 12 years ago for minor criminal damage when I was 15 years old. IRCC are aware of this and I sent all information on the incident when I applied for PR which they have approved. From what I have read the incident was neither a charge or conviction as I never went to court. I'm just wondering whether to admit it still to the border official (even though I won't technically be lying if I don't) or just say no. Would it be better to be completely transparent with him/her seeing as IRCC have information from it on my application or would it cause me issues if I unnecessarily admit it?

Also do border officials have access to your entire profile and application when you flagpole?

Cheers

rayrayray

Sep 23, 2016
Hi guys, anyone here who applied as an inland applicant for spousal sponsorship and flagpoled? At what stage do you get CoPR? after DM?

i do understand that after you get CoPR, you can flagpole instead of landing interview but I am confused at what stage do you get the CoPR?

Thanks

Shitijsharma

Feb 14, 2020
Hello
I am thinking of going to Blue Water Bridge Sarnia for flagpoling. Is there a particular time to get your status changed or i can just go on Weekends(Sunday) Too?

Thekkedath

Mar 19, 2019
Hello
I am thinking of going to Blue Water Bridge Sarnia for flagpoling. Is there a particular time to get your status changed or i can just go on Weekends(Sunday) Too?
Hey,
Did you complete your flag polling? And do they allow it on weekends in Sarnia?

IkeaSam

Aug 28, 2019
I would like to share my landing experience at the Prescott/Ogdensburg Entry.

I live in Ottawa and I've received my COPR/Passport in the morning in my mail. So I've called the IRCC office to schedule an appointment, the earliest date I got was on the 14th of April. We didn't want to wait that long, so we decided to drive an hour south to the closest border to see if they are allowing to land during evenings. I arrived at the border around 7 pm.

So we drove to the US side and since my spouse does not have the US visa, the officer called us in and asked us a couple of informational questions and he clearly said that "You are being denied entry into the USA as you're flagpoling, and it will have no impact on your future VISA applications to the USA."
He was very clear on that part. The officer was pretty nice, to be honest.
Then he held on to our passports and a yellow slip and asked us to take a U-turn and on return, he gave us our passports and wished us the best of luck.

We drove back to the Canadian side and the officer asked us the reason for visit and asked us where do we live, and since there was no car behind, I've decided to start a candid conversation, I told him that there is a lot of misinformation on the internet about the landing process and told him that we are a bit paranoid about driving all the way to Prescott in case the CBSA would ask us to come some other time or even might ask us to make an appointment at the IRCC office. The guy at the booth clearly explained that they will process landing applications 24X7 every day of the week and said sometimes they probably won't between (12 am - 5 am) but he was very clear on the process, he politely explained that CBSA clearly acts on the instructions from IRCC.

But he also clearly mentioned that it's not the same case at few border crossings in southern Ontario especially the Windsor and Niagara ones dues to the high volume of people crossing the border.

Then he asked us to park anywhere under the Canopy and walk into the office. When we walked in we were received politely by a lady officer and we said that we were here for landing purpose then she took our COPR and passports and asked if the information on the COPR was accurate. There was a misprint on my COPR, the last landing date was the same as the initial landing date which was not true, I took multiple trips since I first arrived in Canada. She said it would not matter and said that there will be a stamp on the passport which is the only date that matters while applying for Citizenship.

Then she asked us a few questions from the COPR and asked us to sign on the Document and she gave us a "Personal Effects accounting document" to declare all the assets we would be bringing into the country in the future. She said this is the ONLY chance for us to declare everything so that we don't have to pay duty fees when we actually bring in the goods. My wife made a list of her jewellery and she showed her the pictures of it so the officer was satisfied with the pictures and she signed and stamped the document. Asked us to carry the document every time we bring the goods into the county so that we don't have to pay any fines or duty fee.

She asked me to get my new SIN number, new Health Card and Driving Licence all at the same location(City Hall--Ottawa).
She congratulated us on becoming a Permanent Residents of Canada and explained to us our rights.

It's been a long journey for me personally to get here.:)

Last edited:

dondappa007

Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for this information. Very appreciative.
I would like to know however, with this process can a person still get their PR if they’re on a valid student visa? Or is it that they will just extend the study permit?

Adi8888

Apr 8, 2019
Hi All!

All the best if you are still waiting for PPR and Congratulations if you have received yours.

I received my passport on 15th January and decided to do landing by scheduling a landing interview, but by looking at the timelines it was taking approximately 2 weeks from requesting to 'schedule an interview' to the actual schedule date. So, to curtail that timing, I and my dependent decided to flagpole on 17th Jan. We drove to Lewiston Bridge (Niagara-on-the-Lakes) and reached around 2:00 PM, we reached the US bridge. The US officer asked us "What is the purpose of travel?". We said "We want to flagpole to confirm our PR for Canada". She asked us for our passports, did something on her computer and asked us to drive to another officer just 80 meters away from our car and get the flagpole document. We drove there (didn't get out of the car even once), he gave us a paper saying reason to enter - 'FLAGPOLE'. This in total took just 6-7 minutes. We took that and took a U-turn towards Canada's border. There again we were stopped at the checkpoint and the Canadian officer asked, "when did you go to US?" and took our passports. We answered, "Few minutes ago.". She asked all sorts of questions, "do you have any duty free stuff?", "any groceries?", "any alcohol or cannabis?" etc. This must be a standard procedure. To all these questions, our answer was NO. She then returned our passports with a yellow paper and asked us to park and go to Canada Immigration office just 50 meters from the checkpoint.

We went inside and there was just one guy in waiting area. We went to counter and told the officer that we are here for our landing and the officer asked for our yellow document, flagpole document and of course passports (not the COPR documents, yet) and asked us to wait. In next 2-3 minutes another officer called us and took our COPRs. He asked us to put our address and phone number and made us sign our respective COPR and asked us to wait. He called us again after a minute and congratulated us on becoming Canadian PR. Stapled our copy of COPR and gave some standard instructions about "not leaving the country" etc. He asked for our WPs and shredded them, as they were no longer valid.

This entire process, excluding the drive from Toronto to Lewiston bridge LOL, took 20 minutes max. We became PR, after such a long wait (from AOR till yesterday).

PS - We didn't have a US visa at all. :)

Hope this would be helpful for you all!

Thanks!
Congratulations ♥ ♥