+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Date Extension - Indirectly

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Just wanted to give an update to my situation - Maybe somebody else who might have a similar situation could benefit from this.

Received PPR late December 2016 and got my CoPR and visa stamped on the passport soon after. A landing date was given which was May 2017. However I have a situation where my wife is pregnant and the delivery is set to be around 25th-30th June 2017. So basically the two options I had were either (a) do a short landing, come back and have the baby delivered in my home country, and (b) go to Canada and have the baby delivered there. However the problem with (a) was that if we had the baby delivered in the home country, then I would've had to go through the sponsorship route to get my child a PR visa and that would've taken about 12-13 months as per CIC website. The problem with option (b) was that I had commitments in my home country that I could not have gone and delivered the baby in Canada. Long story why, so I won't delve into that.

I was under the impression that once you get a landing date, then that's it. You have to utilize that date or else it expires and you have to go through the PR process all over again. However, apparently, pregnancy is considered an exceptional circumstance and it can extend your landing date indirectly.

I contacted my Visa Office and explained my situation that my wife is pregnant and that the delivery date is very close to our landing date and it will be difficult to manage this. Visa Office was kind enough to review this and gave me an option to land after the birth of my child. (this means my current visa/CoPR expires). They told me that if I plan to land after the birth of my child then I just need to email them and let them know before the expiry of my current visa/CoPR. Once I do so, they will ask me, my wife and child to undergo new medicals. Also we would need to submit bio page(s) of our new child, 4 PP photographs of child, an updated IMM0008 Generic form, an updated IMM5406 Additional Family Information form and lastly Proof of Settlement Funds. They will open placeholders in myCIC account for me to submit these documents. If everything is in order, they will issue all three of us new visas/CoPRs.

So just wanted to put this out there and maybe if someone else encounters this or any other situation, know that correspondence with your Visa Office or Canadian Immigration officers can help you. At the end of the day we are not dealing with computers who follow things to the letter and cannot digress.

Hope it helps.

alxms10

Dec 16, 2016
London-UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London-UK, then Paris-France, then Cairo-Egypt
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
Doc's Request.
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
05/05/2017, then 05/06/2017
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017
Very useful, thank you :)

shariq123 said:
I was under the impression that once you get a landing date, then that's it. You have to utilize that date or else it expires and you have to go through the PR process all over again.
That's what I thought too!

shariq123 said:
Visa Office was kind enough to review this and gave me an option to land after the birth of my child. (this means my current visa/CoPR expires). They told me that if I plan to land after the birth of my child then I just need to email them and let them know before the expiry of my current visa/CoPR. Once I do so, they will ask me, my wife and child to undergo new medicals.
From what I understand the COPR expiry is May 2017 and delivery date is June 2017; If you inform them around May time (your baby is not born yet) how can you provide baby's information? Or they mean inform them that you can't in May and then once baby is born provide all required information?

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
alxms10 said:
Very useful, thank you :)

That's what I thought too!

From what I understand the COPR expiry is May 2017 and delivery date is June 2017; If you inform them around May time (your baby is not born yet) how can you provide baby's information? Or they mean inform them that you can't in May and then once baby is born provide all required information?

Yes that's what they mean. They want me to inform them before May that I will land after the birth of my child so that they can cancel my current visa/CoPR. Once the baby is born in June, they will ask us to provide all the required information as mentioned earlier. If everything is in order, they will then issue all 3 of us new visas/CoPRs without us having to go through the PR process all over again.

Sington

Star Member
Nov 13, 2016
Thanks so much for the info @shariq123.. I am in the same situation and was very much worried about delievery. But, jut a quick question, so after we inform the officer about out situation is it only medicals and the current documentation that we send to CIC? Don't need to go through the whole process again right?

Thanks in advance!

fhdahd

Nov 16, 2016
UAE
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
23-05-2017
Nomination.....
03-04-2017
AOR Received.
24-05-2017
Med's Done....
8-08-2017
Just wanted to give an update to my situation - Maybe somebody else who might have a similar situation could benefit from this.

Received PPR late December 2016 and got my CoPR and visa stamped on the passport soon after. A landing date was given which was May 2017. However I have a situation where my wife is pregnant and the delivery is set to be around 25th-30th June 2017. So basically the two options I had were either (a) do a short landing, come back and have the baby delivered in my home country, and (b) go to Canada and have the baby delivered there. However the problem with (a) was that if we had the baby delivered in the home country, then I would've had to go through the sponsorship route to get my child a PR visa and that would've taken about 12-13 months as per CIC website. The problem with option (b) was that I had commitments in my home country that I could not have gone and delivered the baby in Canada. Long story why, so I won't delve into that.

I was under the impression that once you get a landing date, then that's it. You have to utilize that date or else it expires and you have to go through the PR process all over again. However, apparently, pregnancy is considered an exceptional circumstance and it can extend your landing date indirectly.

I contacted my Visa Office and explained my situation that my wife is pregnant and that the delivery date is very close to our landing date and it will be difficult to manage this. Visa Office was kind enough to review this and gave me an option to land after the birth of my child. (this means my current visa/CoPR expires). They told me that if I plan to land after the birth of my child then I just need to email them and let them know before the expiry of my current visa/CoPR. Once I do so, they will ask me, my wife and child to undergo new medicals. Also we would need to submit bio page(s) of our new child, 4 PP photographs of child, an here updated IMM0008 Generic form, an updated IMM5406 Additional Family Information form and lastly Proof of Settlement Funds. They will open placeholders in myCIC account for me to submit these documents. If everything is in order, they will issue all three of us new visas/CoPRs.

So just wanted to put this out there and maybe if someone else encounters this or any other situation, know that correspondence with your Visa Office or Canadian Immigration officers can help you. At the end of the day we are not dealing with computers who follow things to the letter and cannot digress.

Hope it helps.
thank you so much, i have similar situation, can i go for option b, as you didn't opted it due to commitments but i do not have any commitments and can land with my wife? if i do so there will be any problem at the immigration on the port of entry? and do i need to inform them after COPR or PPR?

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
If you want to deliver your baby in Canada, then you don't need to inform CIC. You can land with your wife before the expiry of your COPR and can then proceed to deliver your baby in Canada.

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Final update:

Last week I received new COPRs and Passport visa stickers for all three of us (inclusive of newborn baby). The previous COPR that was issued to me and my wife lapsed without us making a landing and we proceeded to deliver our baby in our home country. After the baby was born here, I provided CIC with the medicals/birth certificate/baby passport copies/updated bank statements/IMM forms and CIC then issued us new COPRs. We didn't have to start our immigration application from scratch once our previous COPRs expired.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Final update:

Last week I received new COPRs and Passport visa stickers for all three of us (inclusive of newborn baby). The previous COPR that was issued to me and my wife lapsed without us making a landing and we proceeded to deliver our baby in our home country. After the baby was born here, I provided CIC with the medicals/birth certificate/baby passport copies/updated bank statements/IMM forms and CIC then issued us new COPRs. We didn't have to start our immigration application from scratch once our previous COPRs expired.
Congratulations on your newborn AND on your imminent Canadian permanent residency! :)

Rocky83

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
Hi Shariq,

I contacted my Visa Office and explained my situation that my wife is pregnant and that the delivery date is very close to our landing date and it will be difficult to manage this. Visa Office was kind enough to review this and gave me an option to land after the birth of my child. (this means my current visa/CoPR expires). They told me that if I plan to land after the birth of my child then I just need to email them and let them know before the expiry of my current visa/CoPR. Once I do so, they will ask me, my wife and child to undergo new medicals. Also we would need to submit bio page(s) of our new child, 4 PP photographs of child, an updated IMM0008 Generic form, an updated IMM5406 Additional Family Information form and lastly Proof of Settlement Funds. They will open placeholders in myCIC account for me to submit these documents. If everything is in order, they will issue all three of us new visas/CoPRs.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for this valuable post Shariq
Did you contact CPC Ottawa visa office via phone and explain your situation ? Could you please share their contact no. ?
I have received a notification to send my passports to High Commission in India. However my wife is in early stages of pregnancy and EDD is July 2018 and she is the primary applicant. So i am thinking if I send it to them now, they may stamp our passports with a landing date of June 2018 which will be exactly similar to your situation with a gap of one month.

However i have raised a CSE to notify IRCC of this possible change in our circumstance and have requested suggestions on the next steps.
Please assist

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Hi Shariq,

Thanks for this valuable post Shariq
Did you contact CPC Ottawa visa office via phone and explain your situation ? Could you please share their contact no. ?
I have received a notification to send my passports to High Commission in India. However my wife is in early stages of pregnancy and EDD is July 2018 and she is the primary applicant. So i am thinking if I send it to them now, they may stamp our passports with a landing date of June 2018 which will be exactly similar to your situation with a gap of one month.

However i have raised a CSE to notify IRCC of this possible change in our circumstance and have requested suggestions on the next steps.
Please assist
First of all, may everything proceed well for you and your wife and you guys have a healthy baby.

Yes your situation is exactly like mine. What I did was I sent my and my wife's passport to get our CoPRs and visa sticker stamped in the passport. After that I informed my Visa Office (London Visa Office in my case) via email (the email address will be mentioned in your PPR letter) about the situation. They came back to me with a response giving me 2 options:

Option #1: If me and my spouse are choosing to land after our child is born, then we must advise them before the birth of my child or before my visa expires (whichever date comes earliest).

Option #2: If me and my spouse are choosing to land before the birth of our child, then no further action is required.

So I chose Option #1 which meant that my existing visa/COPR documents were cancelled. They requested additional information and upon satisfaction of those documents, last week they issued all 3 of us new visas/CoPRs.

Since you haven't submitted your passports as yet it means you haven't received your COPR and visa sticker in your passport, I suggest you email your Visa Office immediately and explain them the situation. I think they will put your application in cold storage and ask you to provide baby passports/medicals among other things after your baby is born. If everything is in order, they will issue you COPRs and visas. In my case COPRs and visas were already issued so they had to be cancelled.

Contact your VO immediately. Check your PPR letter where the email address would be given.

Rocky83

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
First of all, may everything proceed well for you and your wife and you guys have a healthy baby.

Yes your situation is exactly like mine. What I did was I sent my and my wife's passport to get our CoPRs and visa sticker stamped in the passport. After that I informed my Visa Office (London Visa Office in my case) via email (the email address will be mentioned in your PPR letter) about the situation. They came back to me with a response giving me 2 options:

Option #1: If me and my spouse are choosing to land after our child is born, then we must advise them before the birth of my child or before my visa expires (whichever date comes earliest).

Option #2: If me and my spouse are choosing to land before the birth of our child, then no further action is required.

So I chose Option #1 which meant that my existing visa/COPR documents were cancelled. They requested additional information and upon satisfaction of those documents, last week they issued all 3 of us new visas/CoPRs.

Since you haven't submitted your passports as yet it means you haven't received your COPR and visa sticker in your passport, I suggest you email your Visa Office immediately and explain them the situation. I think they will put your application in cold storage and ask you to provide baby passports/medicals among other things after your baby is born. If everything is in order, they will issue you COPRs and visas. In my case COPRs and visas were already issued so they had to be cancelled.

Contact your VO immediately. Check your PPR letter where the email address would be given.
Thanks Shariq, my spouse has received an email from CPC Ottawa requesting our passports, is that email called PPR letter ?

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks Shariq, my spouse has received an email from CPC Ottawa requesting our passports, is that email called PPR letter ?
Yes. It would probably start with these sentences.

The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, your permanent residence visa.

Rocky83

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017
Yes. It would probably start with these sentences.

The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, your permanent residence visa.
The e-mail has subject line READY FOR VISA. It's from IRCC.CPCO FINALREQUEST@cic.gc.ca and they are asking for our passports, 2 photos, any change in circumstances like pregnancy with expected date of delivery etc to finalize our application.
They are asking us to submit our travel documents in order to prepare for issuance of CoPR. It also contains details of planning ahead with links for potential immigrants to help them settle down.

Lastly it has signature of immigration department.

Rocky83

Star Member
Sep 10, 2017

I also realized that my spouse's work permit/ job offer expires in June 2019. If CIC asks us to hold on and provide details of our child after birth with new medicals, it would be during July 2018. By the time they issue new CopR, job offer may be valid for another 9-10 months which is less than requirement of 12 months at the time of issue of visa.

Will they reject our case. Really worried now.
Please guide me on this