19-12-2014
File Transfer...
RPRF 03-03-2016
Med's Request
03-02-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-04-2016 (Received at CIC on April 06th)
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2016 (Received passports back on April 22nd)
LANDED..........
25-04-2016
In case someone find this helpful, I'll share my detailed experience of flagpoling at Coutts in Alberta.

The drive from Calgary is three hours (one way). The roads are in great conditions and it's mostly highway. Once you're on highway 4 you just keep driving to the end of Coutts and eventually you'll find the costums building that is shared by both countries. You arrive at the USA side first.

Keep on the lane to the left and you'll see the many cameras USA customs have there, they'll take a photo of your car. Once at the window, we handed our passports and the officer asked us these questions:

Is this your first time down here?
Yes sir

What's your status in Canada?
We hold work permit and study permit and just recently got PR

So you're here to flagpole
Yes

Have you done flagpoling before?
No sir

Have you ever been arrested? (he said something similar to this)
No

Do you carry any weapons or are there any weapons on your car?
No

Then he asked to roll down the car windows and he came and looked a bit inside. Also asked me to take off my eyeglasses when inspecting the passports. Asked us to go through, park and to come inside. After 10 min they called our names and gave us the passport and a piece of paper with administrative refusal. No stamps are made in the passports.

Officer said to get into our vehicle and to follow him to go back to Canada. We followed his car and after few meters he pointed out the U turn.

The entrance to Canada has way less cameras and no picture is taken. Handed the passports to the officer and he asked the purpose of the visit and we replied we wanted to land as permanent residents. He asked if we had just flagpoled and we said yes.

Also asked the same questions about weapons or being arrested. I think he also asked if we have ever been refused entrance to a country and we replied that just the flagpoling we just did. He handed the passports back and said to park, go inside the building and go to Traffic.

Inside, the counters are labelled, the Traffic ones are to the left. There the lady officer was not like super nice but she was not rude at all. She asked first how many people were landing. She asked where we lived and if we lived together. Asked us to write down the address on the refusal paper.

She asked for the current permits and asked if they were all the permits we have had, we answered yes. She asked if we were sure and if we didn't have any others at home. We said no, no more permits.

Then she went through both questions on the COPR and asked to write the answer (No) and our initials next to them. Also, she said to verify the information and to sign the COPR.

Lastly, the officer asked if all the information provided was the truth and you have to reply. And then she kept the documents and asked to sit and wait. Less than 10 min later another officer called our names to the counter and he made the entry stamps on the passports, signed the COPR and asked if we had any questions. He added that we had now all the rights of a citizen except voting or holding public office.

And then off we went, very happy that it was all over.

There were no car line ups on either side, and just one other family that it was landing a bit before us, and another family came right after us.

All very smooth. Officers were not all that chatty or friendly, but they were not rude at all. It was a rainy Monday morning (we arrived at 8:15am) so it's not to blame ;)

Happy landing to everyone and thanks for all the help and support. See you on the citizenship forum in a few years from now :)

Reactions: ginagine0218

shek1lla

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-14-2014
Doc's Request.
March. 31.2016
AOR Received.
19-Feb -2015
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Upfront 16.March.2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks, we will go on this Wednesday most likely.

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I really like your landing experienced:) +1 :D

Cabra

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport 08-03-2016
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
File Transfer...
RPRF 03-03-2016
Med's Request
03-02-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-04-2016
XtraordFaVor said:
Hello. is Coutts Alberta open 24/7?

Can we go anytime anyday? Planning to go there sunday afternoon.

Thanks
I don't think it's 24/7. I recall seeing at the CIC website that it was everyday from 08:00 to 23:00 (or something like that). But yes, Sunday afternoon should be OK.

Good luck.

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
Cabra said:
I don't think it's 24/7. I recall seeing at the CIC website that it was everyday from 08:00 to 23:00 (or something like that). But yes, Sunday afternoon should be OK.

Good luck.
Correct.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offices-bureaux/646-eng.html

nuke noodles

Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CEC filed 09-22-2014
Nomination.....
PNP filed 01-2014, nominated 06-2015. EE-ITA 01-2016
AOR Received.
CEC-AOR 02-04-2015, EE-AOR 02-2016
Med's Done....
EE Medical Passed 02-2016. ECAS MER 03-14-2016.
Passport Req..
PPR 2016-04-06, DM 2016-04-08
VISA ISSUED...
2016-04-12
LANDED..........
2016-05-22
Last year I went to US for road trips from Coutts and the US officer was somewhat rude but the Canadian officer was nice and didn't check my car at all.
As for the landing the Canadian officer asked previous WPs? This is not what I expected. I read many landing threads and no WPs were asked. We don't have all expired WPs in the past, either.

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
nuke noodles said:
Last year I went to US for road trips from Coutts and the US officer was somewhat rude but the Canadian officer was nice and didn't check my car at all.
As for the landing the Canadian officer asked previous WPs? This is not what I expected. I read many landing threads and no WPs were asked. We don't have all expired WPs in the past, either.
I was just asked for my current work permit, I threw out all of my expired work permits when they expired.

nuke noodles

Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CEC filed 09-22-2014
Nomination.....
PNP filed 01-2014, nominated 06-2015. EE-ITA 01-2016
AOR Received.
CEC-AOR 02-04-2015, EE-AOR 02-2016
Med's Done....
EE Medical Passed 02-2016. ECAS MER 03-14-2016.
Passport Req..
PPR 2016-04-06, DM 2016-04-08
VISA ISSUED...
2016-04-12
LANDED..........
2016-05-22
adaytoremember said:
I was just asked for my current work permit, I threw out all of my expired work permits when they expired.
Okay. Thanks for the heads-up. I will bring all my expired and current WPs just in case. Some of my expired study permits were confiscated by CBSA officer when he/she saw my newer valid study permits. So I don't have a continuous record of study permits and WPs in my hands now.

veaunz

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Cabra said:
In case someone find this helpful, I'll share my detailed experience of flagpoling at Coutts in Alberta.

The drive from Calgary is three hours (one way). The roads are in great conditions and it's mostly highway. Once you're on highway 4 you just keep driving to the end of Coutts and eventually you'll find the costums building that is shared by both countries. You arrive at the USA side first.

Keep on the lane to the left and you'll see the many cameras USA customs have there, they'll take a photo of your car. Once at the window, we handed our passports and the officer asked us these questions:

Is this your first time down here?
Yes sir

What's your status in Canada?
We hold work permit and study permit and just recently got PR

So you're here to flagpole
Yes

Have you done flagpoling before?
No sir

Have you ever been arrested? (he said something similar to this)
No

Do you carry any weapons or are there any weapons on your car?
No

Then he asked to roll down the car windows and he came and looked a bit inside. Also asked me to take off my eyeglasses when inspecting the passports. Asked us to go through, park and to come inside. After 10 min they called our names and gave us the passport and a piece of paper with administrative refusal. No stamps are made in the passports.

Officer said to get into our vehicle and to follow him to go back to Canada. We followed his car and after few meters he pointed out the U turn.

The entrance to Canada has way less cameras and no picture is taken. Handed the passports to the officer and he asked the purpose of the visit and we replied we wanted to land as permanent residents. He asked if we had just flagpoled and we said yes.

Also asked the same questions about weapons or being arrested. I think he also asked if we have ever been refused entrance to a country and we replied that just the flagpoling we just did. He handed the passports back and said to park, go inside the building and go to Traffic.

Inside, the counters are labelled, the Traffic ones are to the left. There the lady officer was not like super nice but she was not rude at all. She asked first how many people were landing. She asked where we lived and if we lived together. Asked us to write down the address on the refusal paper.

She asked for the current permits and asked if they were all the permits we have had, we answered yes. She asked if we were sure and if we didn't have any others at home. We said no, no more permits.

Then she went through both questions on the COPR and asked to write the answer (No) and our initials next to them. Also, she said to verify the information and to sign the COPR.

Lastly, the officer asked if all the information provided was the truth and you have to reply. And then she kept the documents and asked to sit and wait. Less than 10 min later another officer called our names to the counter and he made the entry stamps on the passports, signed the COPR and asked if we had any questions. He added that we had now all the rights of a citizen except voting or holding public office.

And then off we went, very happy that it was all over.

There were no car line ups on either side, and just one other family that it was landing a bit before us, and another family came right after us.

All very smooth. Officers were not all that chatty or friendly, but they were not rude at all. It was a rainy Monday morning (we arrived at 8:15am) so it's not to blame ;)

Happy landing to everyone and thanks for all the help and support. See you on the citizenship forum in a few years from now :)
thank you for sharing your experience. i just have one question do you hold US visa? if yes you think we can do the same as you did even we are not holding a US visa? thanks

Cabra

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport 08-03-2016
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
File Transfer...
RPRF 03-03-2016
Med's Request
03-02-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
25-04-2016
No I do not hold USA visa and my country of origin requires visa to enter USA.

That's why you get refused and it's called flag-poling. If you had USA visa, then you don't need to flagpole, just use your USA visa to enter and to get out.

veaunz

Star Member
Mar 14, 2015
Cabra said:
No I do not hold USA visa and my country of origin requires visa to enter USA.

That's why you get refused and it's called flag-poling. If you had USA visa, then you don't need to flagpole, just use your USA visa to enter and to get out.
thanks, i hold us visa but my partner doesn't. now we know thanks.

Dood123

Mar 21, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
12-01-2016
Nomination.....
28-10-2015
AOR Received.
21-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-04-2016
What would happen if I dont have a valid work permit as I am currently on a restoration status/waiting for my work permit restoration.?
Please help thanks

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dood123 said:
What would happen if I dont have a valid work permit as I am currently on a restoration status/waiting for my work permit restoration.?
Please help thanks
No worried, the officer may not ask about your status but you can bring acknowledgement of receipt (restoration) and all your work permits. You will be fine.

All the best

wisdom7

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Canada
Hello, I just stumbled on this post. Thanks for your well detailed experience. Please I have a question. I will be driving a friend to this same Port of entry next week for his work permit via LMIA. Apart from LMIA approval letter, International Passport, Reference letter, do you have idea of any other required documents that he should go with? Did you go with complete PR application form? Police report etc?