+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing- but not staying- just visisiting Toronto

robertbola

Mar 29, 2009
Hi-

My passport is out for the Permanent Resident Visa. When we get it we are planning to visist Canada (Toronto) in October. When I applied for the Permanent Resident we wrote on application that we would be living in British Columbia.

Can I do the landing in Toronto while I visit for a couple of days and then have my Permanent Resident sent to family in BC?

Will this pose any problems? We plan to leave around Christmas for Good?

Will the Border patrol have issues with that....we are travelling together (my spouse and I)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's not a problem to land in Toronto but if you say that you will not be in BC at the time your PR cards arrive, they may opt to hold your PR cards until you come back for good. If they do that, you may have to apply for PR travel documents to come back unless you are from a visa exempt country.

robertbola

Mar 29, 2009
I'm from a Visa Exempt country......I thought that I could give them an address of someone family memeber in canada so they could send the card over there and then they could mail it to me outside of canada so the next time I would go to canada I would already have my PR card.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
You can, and should, give them the address of a family member in BC that they can send the PR card to. No reason to complicate matters at your landing by telling them that you don't plan to come to Canada right away. It's a perfectly reasonable assumption that you could visit Toronto on your way into Canada, and then continue on to BC to settle. Like with anything else involving Immigration Canada - don't give them any more information than what they absolutely need to have to do the job you need them to do. Volunteering any extraneous information only gives them the power to harass and inconvenience you - just because they can.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can. That is what a lot of other people do. However, it has happened to some people that they told the IO's that they were leaving right away and would not be at this address when the PR cards would be mailed there. The IO's then decided to put a stop on their PR cards and told them that they could call for the PR cards to be mailed at the time they would come for good. It's up to you if you tell the IO's if you will be at this address when the PR cards arrive or not. If you do, it's up to the IO's if they care to put a stop on your PR cards or not.

robertbola

Mar 29, 2009
Well, it will go to my spouses parent home in BC and they would then FEDEX me my card....is this legal.

Also, I read some places that you have to go in person to collect the card?

I'm confused...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never heard or seen anywhere that it's not legal to mail or FedEx a PR card. If it's not illegal, then it must be legal.

You get your first PR card in the mail. After 5 years when you have to renew it, you will have to pick it up in person.