+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and settlement queries

jayasree

Jun 1, 2013
Hai :),
I am moving as an immigrant from chennai to toronto by july 20th. I would like to confirm about the things and docs to be taken at the time of landing. I will list out the docs and if any more to be added please let me know.

1. passport with the stamped visa along with old passports 5. Transfer Certificate from the schools for kids.
2. Landing papers. 6. Immunisation records.
3. Proof of funds. 7. Birth certificates for kids.
4. medical Insurance papers for the first 3 months. 8. Marriage certificate.

I would like to discuss more on the pof and insurance. I am advised to take 12lacs Indian rupee. I have 5 members in my family. 2 adults and 3 kids. this amount advised by the consultant. Is this enough of more to be taken. please advise. Or any website link to calculate about the amount to be carried. Also i am advised to open and NRI account and show the statement and to carry the debit card. Is this convenient or to carry the TC or DD? please advise.

Next about the medical insurance. Is it to be taken for kids or for adults too. please provide more information on insurance too. Also please tell me whether kids birth certificates needs to be notarised along with the TCs, Immunisation records.

dubaiite

May 3, 2011
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
1-11-2012
LANDED..........
24-3-2013
jayasree said:
I am moving as an immigrant from chennai to toronto by july 20th. I would like to confirm about the things and docs to be taken at the time of landing. I will list out the docs and if any more to be added please let me know.

1. passport with the stamped visa along with old passports 5. Transfer Certificate from the schools for kids.

I would like to discuss more on the pof and insurance. I am advised to take 12lacs Indian rupee. I have 5 members in my family. 2 adults and 3 kids. this amount advised by the consultant. Is this enough of more to be taken. please advise. Or any website link to calculate about the amount to be carried. Also i am advised to open and NRI account and show the statement and to carry the debit card. Is this convenient or to carry the TC or DD? please advise.

Next about the medical insurance. Is it to be taken for kids or for adults too. please provide more information on insurance too. Also please tell me whether kids birth certificates needs to be notarised along with the TCs, Immunisation records.

1,2,3 is ok 4 th u can have medical for the whole family at Toronto for 1st three months, POF - if u are opening account with any Canadian bank then Debit card and a bank statement is enough...The more and maximum u can carry please carry coz at CIC site only the mandatory amount is mentioned whereas u will find Canada more expensive....

No. 5 is not required and 6,7,8 are most important ... Original BC should be there and Immunization shd be from authorized signatory any pediatrician or General Physician.

IMHV you are missing goods to carry and goods to follow list with approximate value written on the that.. along with Jewelries pics..

Carrying DD/TC are ok but DD u will get encashed with in 4-6 weeks if not from any International bank and TC charges are killing..

Hope this helps .. BTW have u settled for accommodation ? if yes where ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't forget the B4 forms if you would be shipping personal belongings after your arrival. :)

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
jayasree said:

also bring letters for your driving licenses signed by dto office explaining your license is genuine....it make getting a license in toronto much much easier

jayasree

Jun 1, 2013
hai,

Thank u very much for your reply. I have a question about POF again. In CIC website Proof of funds – Federal skilled workers
(As it is not allowing me to post the website i am providing with the note)

states that "Note, however, that Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than C$10,000 into Canada. If you do not tell them, you may be fined or put in prison."

Is it mandatory to declare? If yes, then i beleive we need to do that in the form given in the flight. If not how to declare and where to do that?

As of now i have plans to land in my sister's place at scarborough. But not for longer period. depends on where i am getting my job. You can also tell me about your experiences and share so that i would find easy for myself regarding jobs and others, if you dont mind. I am a level2 tech support engineer workd for Symantec network security. I dont think i can expect such jobs in the initial stages and also my personal responsibilities exceed as i land there. May be initially i will search for tech support jobs and if not will accept as it comes....hoping for brighter future....

dubaiite

May 3, 2011
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
1-11-2012
LANDED..........
24-3-2013
jayasree said:
hai,

Thank u very much for your reply. I have a question about POF again. In CIC website Proof of funds – Federal skilled workers
(As it is not allowing me to post the website i am providing with the note)

states that "Note, however, that Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than C$10,000 into Canada. If you do not tell them, you may be fined or put in prison."

Is it mandatory to declare? If yes, then i beleive we need to do that in the form given in the flight. If not how to declare and where to do that?

As of now i have plans to land in my sister's place at scarborough. But not for longer period. depends on where i am getting my job. You can also tell me about your experiences and share so that i would find easy for myself regarding jobs and others, if you dont mind. I am a level2 tech support engineer workd for Symantec network security. I dont think i can expect such jobs in the initial stages and also my personal responsibilities exceed as i land there. May be initially i will search for tech support jobs and if not will accept as it comes....hoping for brighter future....

I don't see any problem declaring fund on any airport.. you hv to declare in the form and as well as to Custom ... Just keep the bank statements withdrawals or currency exchange receipt if you convert it from any other currency to CAD or USD if carrying large cash..

Ramelak

Jul 4, 2013
There are several issues you need to take into consideration - your money is only one of them. From what you have stated, you have mentioned 2 adults and 3 kids - are you going as a couple - if so, does your partner have a job? 12 lacs is around $20000 which is not a lot, considering you will need around 2K a month on average to get by, plus initial settling expenses. The money should last around 9 months. Please plan your job prospects if you want to work, otherwise Canada can become hell - not discouraging you, just alerting you to the hazards of the country!

Good luck anyway

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
jayasree said:

for a family of 5 you need to show POF not less than 23,425 CAD
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

Number of Family Members Funds Required(in Canadian dollars)
1 $11,115
2 $13,837
3 $17,011
4 $20,654
5 $23,425
6 $26,419
7 or more $29,414