+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing and PR card

tarekcanada

Jan 23, 2012
Hello All,

I am preparing to land in few months time, i have few questions i appreciate your help with them.

1) I am planning to land in Toronto and staying there for only 2 weeks to apply for PR cards, then returning back to my country and later move permanently back to Canada after 1 year, is this allowed or is there a rule that says we can not stay outside Canada more than 6 months each time.

2) As i am staying for 2 weeks only, i will not be there when the PR cards are issued, so i will have to give them an address to send the cards, now; the city i mentioned in my application is Toronto and i will actually be landing in Toronto, no plans of landing anywhere else, but the only reliable address of a friend is in Edmenton, Alberta. Would the immigration officer say anything when i give him an address in Alberta for the delivery of the PR cards rather than an address where i am supposed to settle eventually, which is Toronto.

3) When i arrive in Canada, i will most likely be landing in Montreal as it is the destination airport for most flights from my region, would i be finishing the whole landing formality in Montral airport including the PR application forms and landing records. The connection flight then will be Montral-Toronto with Air Canada, since its a domestic flight, would there be an officer in Toronto airport to finish the landing process for us..

4) If i have a visit visa to enter USA, can i leave Canada to enter USA for a short visit, then how would i be allowed back in Canada, is it possible? as far as i know the PR visa is a single entry to Canada and since i will not have my PR card at this time, then i guess it can not happen.

Appreciate your help
Thank you

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tarekcanada said:
Anyone can help answering any or all of the previous questions please
1. You can do that. It is allowed.

2. When you land in Toronto, you can give your friend's address. If asked, you can tell that temporarily you will be staying with your fried till you settledown.

3.You mentioned in question 2 as :

"the city i mentioned in my application is Toronto and i will actually be landing in Toronto, no plans of landing anywhere"

However, you can land in Montreal and complete the landing procedure overe there at the International Arrival counter. Your onward connecting flight ticket is the evidence that you are not going to settle in Quebec. At the domestic no immigration and customs check.

4. If you have a US visitor visa you can enter US and return with the copy of your COPR, if you are crossing the boarder by road. For Air travel you need a PR Card or PRTD.

Hope you are clear.

Reactions: astralsource

tarekcanada

Jan 23, 2012
Thank you Wilson for your quick response,

As for my third question, i would like to land directly in Toronto but most likely the flight will land in Montreal first, and i read somewhere that i can not complete the record of landing there as i dont have the CSQ certificate since i am FSW applicant, so where can i finish this record later on, in Toronto airport or somewhere in the city there.

As for the address i will give, hope they will not say anything as it will not be in Ontario at all, but what can you do if you have nobody in Toronto. What do people usually do if they have the same situation, can i arrange with a courrier company to receive it and forward it to me later

Another thing is the proof of funds, since we are 3 persons, we need $17000 CAD , i know we have to declare anything more than $10000 cash, so if we are to carry all in cash, is this 10 K per family or for each person, i mean can i carry 10K and my wife 10 K in cash.

Thank you again

Allegra66

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Unfortunately, you cannot complete your landing in Montreal. Quebec is the only province you cannot land to complete your immigration and would need to come to Ontario or any other province to complete the formalities. As for staying for two weeks and then coming back after a year, I do not know how this would affect you as they say you should maintain certain amount of days in 5years. You should seek advise on this as you do not want to find out you are no longer eligible for the permanent residency. The worst scenario may be that it would take you much longer time to get your citizenship but it is always good to find out from a professional. SEE EXCERPT OF A THREAD FROM QORAX BELOW

*There is only 'one' catch though. For Quebec, although any FSW would be allowed to enter thru a Quebec POE, they cannot complete the 'Record of Landing' here. And would have to further drive/fly to another province (any) to report to its Immigration Officer for the 'completion' of record of landing. This is because Quebec needs the CSQ certificate to complete this procedure. Which only is for a Quebec PR applicant. (however, it is not vice-versa... a Quebec PR applicant can do all the formalities in any other Canadian POE).

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tarekcanada said:
Thank you Wilson for your quick response,

As for my third question, i would like to land directly in Toronto but most likely the flight will land in Montreal first, and i read somewhere that i can not complete the record of landing there as i dont have the CSQ certificate since i am FSW applicant, so where can i finish this record later on, in Toronto airport or somewhere in the city there.

As for the address i will give, hope they will not say anything as it will not be in Ontario at all, but what can you do if you have nobody in Toronto. What do people usually do if they have the same situation, can i arrange with a courrier company to receive it and forward it to me later

Another thing is the proof of funds, since we are 3 persons, we need $17000 CAD , i know we have to declare anything more than $10000 cash, so if we are to carry all in cash, is this 10 K per family or for each person, i mean can i carry 10K and my wife 10 K in cash.

Thank you again
Hi.

Canadian government does not restrict a new immigrant to land on a specified airport. He/she can land anywhere in Canadian international airport or enter Canada by crossing the border by road through USA. If a FSW land at Montreal he should travel from there to other province and cannot settle down in Quebec without CSQ.

At the port of entry the FSW immigrant can give any address of province in Canada except Quebec. The PR card will be delivered to that address only. Even if the destination is given as Toronto (Ontario) in the application, it is not necessary to land or settle down in Ontario.

If the total amount is exceeding CAD 10,000/- per person, it should be declared. It can be shown in the declaration form which is served on the airplane. There is a column "Currency and/or monetary instruments of a value totaling CAN$10,000 or more per person".
In your case the amount is not exceeding the limit for the family. Any how, it is not for taxation and therefore don't worry even if you have more money.

mythestic

Apr 10, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London CHC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb-2009
Doc's Request.
06-03-2009
IELTS Request
06-03-2009
File Transfer...
January-2011 to London
Med's Request
November-2011
Med's Done....
17-12-2011 (Received at LVO Feb-2012)
Interview........
Decision Made on June 26, 2012
Passport Req..
PPR-1: 30-April-2012 - PPR-2: 03July2012
VISA ISSUED...
20th July 2012
LANDED..........
Landed successfully in September 2012 - Got PR Cards on 28Nov2012
Very kind replies wilson. +1 for your efforts.

I will be leaving my country for Canada in September 2012, mentioned city in my COPR is Calgary (I mentioned it in start of the process). However, i am NOT getting any suitable direct flights from Karachi to Calgary. I will be picking Karachi-Qatar-Montreal-Calgary flight probably (this is the best i am getting, with TWO baggage per person), qorax advised me there will be no issue in that. I can land in Montreal and my immigration process would be completed there (at Montreal Airport) and then i can fly for Calgary using my connecting flight.

What do you suggest? I still havent booked my tickets yet.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mythestic said:
Very kind replies wilson. +1 for your efforts.

I will be leaving my country for Canada in September 2012, mentioned city in my COPR is Calgary (I mentioned it in start of the process). However, i am NOT getting any suitable direct flights from Karachi to Calgary. I will be picking Karachi-Qatar-Montreal-Calgary flight probably (this is the best i am getting, with TWO baggage per person), qorax advised me there will be no issue in that. I can land in Montreal and my immigration process would be completed there (at Montreal Airport) and then i can fly for Calgary using my connecting flight.

What do you suggest? I still havent booked my tickets yet.
You are welcome mythestic.
Many new comers choose the flights via Montreal due to convenient connecting flights to other provinces and for better air fare. 2 bags of 23 kg = 46 kg plus 7 to 10 kg hand carry per passenger is allowed for air travel to and fro Canada. As you have a connecting flight ticket to Calgary you can choose the flight via Montreal. As I mentioned early somewhere, there is no problem with the given landing destination in the application. If there is a change of address, you can give to the Immigration officer when you hand over the COPR for processing the landing formalities.

mythestic

Apr 10, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London CHC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb-2009
Doc's Request.
06-03-2009
IELTS Request
06-03-2009
File Transfer...
January-2011 to London
Med's Request
November-2011
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20th July 2012
LANDED..........
wilson said:
You are welcome mythestic.
Many new comers choose the flights via Montreal due to convenient connecting flights to other provinces and for better air fare. 2 bags of 23 kg = 46 kg plus 7 to 10 kg hand carry per passenger is allowed for air travel to and fro Canada. As you have a connecting flight ticket to Calgary you can choose the flight via Montreal. As I mentioned early somewhere, there is no problem with the given landing destination in the application. If there is a change of address, you can give to the Immigration officer when you hand over the COPR for processing the landing formalities.
Thank you for your detailed reply mate.. really appreciated!

So, my immigration process would be completed at Montreal Airport OR at Calgary? OR it depends? However, I have no objection, where would it be. but just asking..

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mythestic said:
Thank you for your detailed reply mate.. really appreciated!

So, my immigration process would be completed at Montreal Airport OR at Calgary? OR it depends? However, I have no objection, where would it be. but just asking..
Yes, your 'landing' as new immigrant (immigration) will be done at the Montreal international arrival terminal. There is no immigration or customs when you travel from a domestic airport to another domestic destination. The immigration and customs will be only done at the international arrival. As soon as you clear from immigration, collect your baggage and proceed to the domestic section from where you have to catch the flight to Calgary.

In fact there were many discussions previously about this topic.

A similar case like yours:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/point-of-landing-t45594.0.html

mythestic

Apr 10, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London CHC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb-2009
Doc's Request.
06-03-2009
IELTS Request
06-03-2009
File Transfer...
January-2011 to London
Med's Request
November-2011
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
20th July 2012
LANDED..........
Thank you wilson.. its clear now that i can use Montreal as POE, n then move forward to calgary.

Really thankful to your concerns mate.. appreciated!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mythestic said:
Thank you wilson.. its clear now that i can use Montreal as POE, n then move forward to calgary.

Really thankful to your concerns mate.. appreciated!
You are welcome. Wish you a happy landing in Canada.

Reactions: astralsource

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
Got same issue.

Do we do everything in Montreal including address of where the PR cards should be forwarded???? Just not too clear on that side buddies.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right said:
Got same issue.

Do we do everything in Montreal including address of where the PR cards should be forwarded???? Just not too clear on that side buddies.
When you handover the original COPR to the Immigration Officer at the airport you can tell that there is a change in your Canadian residential address. The officer will make note of that address on the COPR as well as it will be entered on to his computer. CIC will consider that new address as your mailing address and your PR card will arrive on that adress. It is a part of the landing process.