+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing a day before PR visa expiration date - good idea?

cgupta123

Star Member
Aug 6, 2014
My PR visa and COPR expire on 5th Sep 2015. I have booked tickets for the 3rd evening which is just 2 days before the expiry of my PR visa. Am I cutting too close and taking a huge risk? I have booked the tickets already and will lose about 400 usd to change my tickets. I did not anticipate any problems so just booked the tickets - now I am thinking. Advise please!!

P.S. I work in USA and wanted to delay my landing as much as possible so that I have more time before I have to move to Canada for good. Hence, the late booking.
Thanks,
Chetan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bad idea. It's risky but your choice what you do. Weather can delay planes for several days. There's also always a possibility illness could prevent you from traveling (either yours or a family member's). If you arrive after the expiry of your PR visa - your visa will be useless and you'll no longer be able to use it to become a PR. You will have to start the immigration process again from scratch if you are still interested in becoming a PR.

You seem to be under the mistaken understanding that you have to move to Canada immediately once you become a PR. But you don't. You could always land, then return to the US for a period of time to wind up your affairs (some people return to their home country for over a year after landing) - and only move to Canada at a later date.

Again, your choice what you do. I supposed it depends how important PR is for you.

cgupta123

Star Member
Aug 6, 2014
Hi Scylla,
Thanks for your 2 cents. Appreciated. I am thinking of changing my ticket to at least a week before the expiry of PR visa :(

I think my statement did not clarify my situation - I intend to delay the landing so as to delay the start count of my residency requirement because once it starts, i'll have about 3 yrs to stay out of Canada. My US visa is valid for another couple of years so I wanna work here for as long as I can.

Chetan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Got it. Now I understand why you are delaying.

cgupta123

Star Member
Aug 6, 2014
That brings me to another question: I have a valid SIN number right now (since I lived in Canada previously as a temporary worker) but the SIN number has an expiry date and is temporary (begins with '9') - Do I have to apply for a SIN number immediately after I land? I intend to stay only a day or two and I would not have a Canadian address with me. So, I may not have the residency proof document needed to get a SIN.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
cgupta123 said:
That brings me to another question: I have a valid SIN number right now (since I lived in Canada previously as a temporary worker) but the SIN number has an expiry date and is temporary (begins with '9') - Do I have to apply for a SIN number immediately after I land? I intend to stay only a day or two and I would not have a Canadian address with me. So, I may not have the residency proof document needed to get a SIN.
You dont need a residency proof to apply for sin. your landing papers and passport should suffice.