+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landed

poireau

Mar 13, 2007
Hi,
I just landed a month ago, and got an apartment the next day since I have already made arrangement for that 2 weeks before from the states.My dealings at the airport took only about 30 minutes, from border agents, to immigration, then to customs.At customs they wanted to know if I was bringing any food, and were very particular about that.I am in Toronto, and since I put my resume on monster, I have been having a lot of calls.I have an interview this monday and another next friday.I am a financial analyst, and there seem to be a strong demand for that right now.
My experience so far, is that Canada is very nice .Slow paced and friendly as compared to the states.I am liking it very much.If you live in the states before you come here, it is very easy to settle in quickly as I have.I went and exchange my driver license, got my health card all in a week.My sin card came in five days, and I am now waiting for the PR card which should be here any day now.
I have been here now 31 days and this is my experience so far.
Toronto is a really big city and very expensive like Newyork or Chicago so prepare for that, and safe money before you come.Night life is good as well as the social scene.The people are friendly and accomodating.
This is my two piece for those who are to follow.
later

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Poireau,
Congrats on your successful landing. Your analysis was great and i enjoyed reading it all over again and again.
Let us know the cost of Apartment and other amenities over there for proper planning.

Oloye

kotha

Aug 5, 2007
Congrats!!!. Could you please let us know where we can serach the Canadian IT jobs.

Regards,
Sree

nimi

Sep 27, 2007
Congrats Porieau, very insigthful experience. I am sure you have plenty of more good stories too share.
What part of Toronto do you live and what is the average proce for an apartment there.

I hear Toronto is expensive;sure the jobs there are well paying too.

Let's know more new things you have discovered. What is the transport system like there? How easy is it to get around on buses pending the time on reguliarizes his driver's licence.

Are the social amenities good. Will look forward to reading from you.

poireau

Mar 13, 2007
Hi Guys,
I am not living in a really fashionable place right now since I got this place on a short notice, but they actually use my rental and credit history from the States.The average rent here is 750-875 including utilities where I live, but it could be more on the more elegant part of town.You would have to pay first and last month right away.The last month rent would serve as a security deposit.There are a lot of IT"s in demand I would presumed, but just post on monster because that is where you would get the greatest exposure.The transportation system is very good.You can use the bus, or metro, and they come on time, so you would not have any problems if you do not have a car when you arrive.I actually got my driver license and pr card yesterday, so all I am waiting now for is my health card which takes 3 months in the province of Ontario if you are a landed immigrant.Toronto is very metropolitan, and diverse.There are people from different countries of the world that I never met in the States, but believe me you would see them here in Toronto.The minimum wage here is $8, as compare to $6 in the states, maybe that is why it is so expensive here, and the tax brackets are high.However, I think the high tax is to compensate for the generous social and free health coverage, except for prescription and eyeglasses which you have to pay out of pocket.
Have to go guys, and later

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Hiya Poerou,

Congratualtions.............! So your healthcard came in weeks, sin also wow. Thats really really good................ I am going to be landing on nov 14th but will only be there for a week and then back on21st will this create a problem by not getting my documents quickly.