+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed =)

queen latifah

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Hello Everyone, I'm so sorry I'm sharing my landing experience 5 weeks late, just wanted to settle in well and tell you "my story"

I landed on August 12, 2010, through Air India, via London Heathrow, from Amritsar. I hate to say this because being an Indian, I want to be proud of anything Indian, but Air India is the worst airline ever! The standard is too low, i felt like I was travelling Delhi via Shatabdi Express, only difference, it was air bound! I would never recommend this airline to anyone and the only reason why I had to take it was because i couldn't get any reservations on any other airline. I am a seasoned traveler having travelled the world a lot, and I can tell you from my experiences that Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Thai Airways are the best airlines ever, and I hope that these flights would start functioning to and from Toronto. I didn't get the food i requested, the screen was not working, some of the travelers were so insensitive cos they were just so loud..i can go on and on!

Anyways, on a brighter note, my landing procedure was very very smooth..they checked my visa, sent me to the new immigrants section and my paperwork was done in 20 minutes.They did not even check my funds. The staff is very very friendly! The immigration officers are polite. After immigration procedures are over, there are 2 counters which give out a whole big bag of information with readings, booklets on anything and everything about immigrating to Ontario.

I am staying with my relatives and on my 2nd week of landing, I got a job at a department store in the mall, which pays $11/hour, and I don't mind at all because I need to build up Canadian work experience. While working, I am also looking for a job in my field which is communications and I have had a couple of interviews. I have a lot of future goals and plans to achieve but right now, I'm focusing with what i have, that is a job to take care of my finances and to keep me busy.

I have phone services (wireless) from Wind, it's pretty good if you're in the GTA cos incoming and outgoing calls are free anywhere in the zone it works. right now I have a $35 monthly plan (prepaid, and trust me, the post paid ones have the same plans, so i decided to take a prepaid for a couple of months) which includes free incoming and local outgoing calls..50 txt messages and call forwarding etc...I have added an extra $20 for UNLIMITED calls to India, anywhere, anytime!

I take the local transit services to work which are really easy and trust me, the customer service agents and bus drivers are very helpful.

I opened an account at Bank of Montreal and I applied for a secure credit card wherein i was approved for a $500 credit limit where I had to put $625 as security deposit. Now that I'm working, after 2-3 months,they will release my $625 into my chequing account, so it's good cos then it's important to build up credit.

So far so good, the weather's amazing, although unpredictable at times!

Canada is a very very "immigrant-friendly" country, and i am loving it!

I wish you all the very best!!

sukh420

Apr 14, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney (AUS)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2010
Doc's Request.
07-2010
AOR Received.
07-2010
IELTS Request
07-2010
File Transfer...
07-2010
Med's Request
01-2012
Med's Done....
01-2012
Interview........
[color=green]Waived[/color]
Passport Req..
03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-2012
LANDED..........
05-2012[img]http://factoryjoe.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/emoticon-0123-party.gif[/img]

idas

Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
DONE :-)
Thanks for sharing the info. If you get any time could you tell us about the internet connection. you can also elaborate the TTC experience and costing. What about housing. Why didn't you open account scotia bank as they need no deposit for Card. Does your employer give you time off while you attend interview call.

Hope you have a bright future in Canada.

Take care.

queen latifah

Star Member
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for sharing the info. If you get any time could you tell us about the internet connection. you can also elaborate the TTC experience and costing. What about housing. Why didn't you open account scotia bank as they need no deposit for Card. Does your employer give you time off while you attend interview call.

Hope you have a bright future in Canada.

Take care

@ Idas: We have Bell, we have the bundle which comprises of internet, phone and cable and it's about a $100/month. TTC buses are excellent, so is Brampton and Mississauga Transit. For these bus services, you have to buy tickets...it's about $20 for 10 ntickets or $100 for a monthly pass(unlimited travel)..housing is good, we are renting a house in Brampton and since I am with relatives, and there's 3 of us splitting the bills and rent, i pay about $500/month for my share of the rent (including utilities and internet,cable and phone)...for time off for interviews, i don't tell my employer and luckily, i was off the 2 times i went...hope this info helps

idas

Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
DONE :-)
queen latifah said:
@ Idas: We have Bell, we have the bundle which comprises of internet, phone and cable and it's about a $100/month. TTC buses are excellent, so is Brampton and Mississauga Transit. For these bus services, you have to buy tickets...it's about $20 for 10 ntickets or $100 for a monthly pass(unlimited travel)..housing is good, we are renting a house in Brampton and since I am with relatives, and there's 3 of us splitting the bills and rent, i pay about $500/month for my share of the rent (including utilities and internet,cable and phone)...for time off for interviews, i don't tell my employer and luckily, i was off the 2 times i went...hope this info helps
;D ;D Thanks for the quick update.

Regards.

CAforCA

Jan 27, 2009
Doc's Request.
20th Jan 2010
AOR Received.
25th May 2010
IELTS Request
15th Dec 2009 Taken Score 7.5
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010
Med's Done....
11-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
6/1/2011
LANDED..........
25/6/2011 Yoo Hoo
Hi Queen,
Thanks for sharing the info, did you get a chance to apply for your driver's license and how long does it take to get your SIN number and PR card. I am guessing you have already applied for these things. Again we all do appreciate you sharing the information with us. How expensive would be the rent for a 2 bedroom apartment or a house in a decent neighborhood? Did you get to interview a lot for the mall job since I guess everyone of us would have to do the survival job before we can get one in our field.

atul.amin

Aug 18, 2010
Gujarat, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June-2010
AOR Received.
Oct-2010
Med's Request
Aug-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Aug-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Oct-2013 (Passport with Visa stamp received)
LANDED..........
shall be landing on 30th June 2014
Hi Queen, thanks for sharing your experience, wish you all the Best!! BTW you'r in which city?

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
Queen Latifa,

Congratulations on safe landing and thanks for sharing info. All the best for a successful life