+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed!

meley

May 31, 2007
hello folks.
We landed in Canada 8 months ago. Canada is a BIG surprise. Consider your options well before moving here, especially for professionals where you have to start all over...literally. But maybe it is worth it for some....
Cheers,
M

zednought

Dec 26, 2008
Cambridge, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2008
Doc's Request.
16-06-2009
Med's Request
17-11-2009
Med's Done....
08-12-2009
Passport Req..
04-01-2010
LANDED..........
14-06-2010
Would you care to elaborate?

ss123

Star Member
Dec 14, 2008
For people moving from US , it should not be a big shock. In other forums we have read about professionals from other part of the world becoming blue collar workers , cab drivers in canada etc...

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
I think realistically, one should be prepared for one or two years being unemployed (I don't count earning $10 per hour at the supermarket checkout as being employed)

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
john5655 said:
I think realistically, one should be prepared for one or two years being unemployed (I don't count earning $10 per hour at the supermarket checkout as being employed)
Because you dont want to earn 27$ an hour as a Bus Driver??or 35$ an hour as a Plumber???I just met a Mexican Architect who I helped renew his work permit,He is working as Cement Work Foreman at 30$ a hour much more then he was earning as an architect in Mexico and I am having Lunch with my Brazilian Accountant Friend who became a plumber,She earned 8,000$ last month.I really dont understand why you guys fear blue collar jobs and would rather work at low paying white collar jobs like Medical Office Assistant 14$ an hour,Call Center 12$ an hour.

jtob

Feb 2, 2009
if you're going to work in midlevel white collar job, its going to be clean work but they're going to pay you the minimum wage.

the dirty jobs always pay more, and that's the work immigrants usually fill up because the canadian don't want it.

I'm willing to work as a bus driver, plumber no.

canadastan

Star Member
Dec 17, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2008
Doc's Request.
22-12-2008
Med's Done....
04-02-2010
Interview........
=
Passport Req..
April fools day 2010
VISA ISSUED...
6 July REALY HOT CANADIAN DAY
LANDED..........
Happily ever after ............
john5655 said:
2 years of working towards your license, not sitting idle.

hammadsanaa

Star Member
Oct 15, 2005
Israel
Hey BC Guy,
Thank you very much for your worthy and useful replies.
If you a plumber earns 35$ per hour and a bus driver earns 27$ per hour, could you please advise about how much could an experienced residential electrician and who is originally electrical engineer, how much could that earn once he gets a PR and lands in! Whats the possibility of getting a good work for such a guy?

Thanks in advance
and very best regards

Raindrop73

Nov 29, 2008
rupeshhari said:
I am so waiting for this OP to elaborate and give us more information on what can go wrong. I am one of those applicants who are positive about moving to CA (if I do get my PR). I do wonder if I am being over confident about it based on my previous experience.
rupeshhari- I can say that you are over confident about the grass on the other side. I remember that I came across one of your comments when you felt sorry about people who could not find a chance even to work as cap drivers in Canada, professional people I mean.

So, from the real-life view point, I think you should consider preparing yourself to the worst. There are many PhD holders had to flip burger and clean dishes, or to drive caps.

The grass may not be greener on the other side, that is what all of us should take onto his consideration.

Cheers

Raindrop73

A Health and Safety PhD student who is preparing his body for a hard work in the other side of the ocean.

Chinaconnection

Star Member
Dec 9, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have read all the comments you have made. I think there is only one big problem that some of us have- PRIDE. If you are out there to make ends meet, why be so choosy? what is wrong in being a cab driver. We all have our dignities.Yes, but when it comes to putting food on our table, lets not put our pride infront. Consider what you will earn as good money and not what pple will say about you and the kind of job you are doing.

When i have my PR ( pretty soon ) Please you guys, if you know someone who can offer me a blue colar job, tell them i am available. hahahhahah. I am an MA degree holder. But i don't care. My present job is a white colar job.But when i definitely move to canada, i will take anything so far as it will amount to 1300 or 1500CAD per month.That will not be bad for a biginner in Quebec i guess.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
hammadsanaa said:
Hey BC Guy,
Thank you very much for your worthy and useful replies.
If you a plumber earns 35$ per hour and a bus driver earns 27$ per hour, could you please advise about how much could an experienced residential electrician and who is originally electrical engineer, how much could that earn once he gets a PR and lands in! Whats the possibility of getting a good work for such a guy?

Thanks in advance
and very best regards
Very good at least in BC with a shortage of skilled tradespeople,You go to one of the skills certification courses as a Electrician,Goverment pays up to 3,500$ of this cost,Review as Electrician,Be certified in a few months and start at around 25-27$ Dollars an hour and work your way up in ranking,A master Electrician I know working for BC Hydro is pulling in 50$ an hour

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
BCguy said:
john5655 said:
Because you dont want to earn 27$ an hour as a Bus Driver??or 35$ an hour as a Plumber???I just met a Mexican Architect who I helped renew his work permit,He is working as Cement Work Foreman at 30$ a hour much more then he was earning as an architect in Mexico and I am having Lunch with my Brazilian Accountant Friend who became a plumber,She earned 8,000$ last month.I really dont understand why you guys fear blue collar jobs and would rather work at low paying white collar jobs like Medical Office Assistant 14$ an hour,Call Center 12$ an hour.
I agree with you BCguy, why small jobs are not counted as employed. I am a Business Analyst in a fortune 500 company here in US, I am ready to do anything in the beginning to work my way up or find the job of my dreams, however I will still count a job as a job. I have Zero ego and will get anything to keep my pay meter running.

hammadsanaa

Star Member
Oct 15, 2005
Israel
Hey BC Guy

Thank you so very much for your useful response!

Could I ask another question please?

My question is:

Do you mean that I need to take one of these courses even if I have a special degree in electrical engineering and more than 10 years experience as residential electrician, electrical supervisor and work manager?
If yes, do you have any link to such a skill certification courses? because I want to know how much do they last? how much do they cost? and finally how much time do I need to get certified!

Thanks again
and Warmest Regards