+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Today (October 31st)

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
My husband and I are just back from landing at Prescott, ON/Ogdensburg, NY.

We crossed the bridge and paid the $3 toll. Then when we got to the border told the agent that we wanted to go back to Canada to land (this particular person was quite rude, I said we wanted to cross back into Canada to land, and she firmly informed me I needed to seek permission to enter US or something, pretty rude). They took our passports, and we went inside and the border people filled out a form to show that my husband was refused entry to US (doesn't affect future attemps to go to US, he said if we were ever asked if he was refused entry to the US, we should say yes, we were rufused so we could be processed as landed immigrant). This is to ensure if the Canadian border people find anything wrong with the documents they have to keep him in Canada. Asked if we had ever been fingerprinted or charged with anything. Also asked a few questions about where my husband's passport was issued and some other things I can't remember. He filled out some stuff on the computer. We got back into our car and did a U-turn and he gave our documents back. He said congratulations.

We then paid the $3 again and crossed back over the bridge. On the Canadian side showed the document that showed we were refused entry and explained that he wanted to land. The agent asked if we had any goods to follow or if we were bringing anything from the US, and then sent us inside with a yellow slip. We showed the COPR, visa, and passports. My husband signed and initialed the COPR in the appropriate places. She confirmed we didn't have any goods to follow, and that we were not charged with anything. Also confirmed that my husband's address was the one on the COPR form (I guess for the PR card). She also asked for a home phone #. We ran into an issue with part of the COPR form so she asked if we had any other immigration photos with us (basically part of his signature crossed over some line that it wasn't supposed to). Luckily they took photos there that she then attached to a supplementary form. This was for the PR card stuff where I guess the machine that reads it is really picky. Later we had to give her his work permit, which she kept. She signed the COPR form too, gave us a copy (stapled in passport) and cancelled the 1-entry visa.

She said we should get the PR card in about 3 to 4 weeks, but that we should always keep the COPR in a safe place as we will need it when we renew the PR card in 5 years. Said to get SIN and health card can use COPR, but some service places only accept the PR card. She then asked if we had any more questions. And that was it, we sat for a while while she did some stuff on the computer, but she didn't require a lot from us.

With wait times took about an hour with processesing in US and Canada! Other than the one US border person, everyone was very nice! So after 5 months 5 days WE ARE DONE!!!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Congratulations! Welcome to Canada!

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Congratulations!

Can't wait to do the same thing myself.:)

Can anyone recommend a place to land for someone living in Toronto?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Swede said:
Congratulations!

Can't wait to do the same thing myself.:)

Can anyone recommend a place to land for someone living in Toronto?
Niagara Falls, Port of Eire - these are the only closest port of entries for you

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
Canbrit - Did your husband have to give up his work permit or did he just give it up willingly? I am going to need to travel before my PR card arrives and was hoping to use my work permit.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
dfb said:
Canbrit - Did your husband have to give up his work permit or did he just give it up willingly? I am going to need to travel before my PR card arrives and was hoping to use my work permit.
Hi dfb,

When she gave us back his passport with the COPR inside it, she said "I keep these" when referring to his work permit and his old expired ones, so we assume it was normal. I guess the idea being he no longer needs them as he is a permanent resident? Has anyone else had this?

I think if you need to travel before the PR card there is some travel document you can get. I think someone on the forum posted this before.

Anyone?

Canbrit

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
canbrit said:
dfb said:
Hi dfb,

When she gave us back his passport with the COPR inside it, she said "I keep these" when referring to his work permit and his old expired ones, so we assume it was normal. I guess the idea being he no longer needs them as he is a permanent resident? Has anyone else had this?

I think if you need to travel before the PR card there is some travel document you can get. I think someone on the forum posted this before.

Anyone?

Canbrit
When I passed the border the last time they took my expired work visa away from me. I think they don't like having visas around if they don't have to, be they expired or not.

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Swede said:
canbrit said:
dfb said:
Hi dfb,

Anyone?

Canbrit
When I passed the border the last time they took my expired work visa away from me. I think they don't like having visas around if they don't have to, be they expired or not.
Yes, they took his expired one as well as his existing one (didn't expire until 2011).

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dfb said:
Have you landed yet? If you've landed, you can't travel on a work permit because you are NO LONGER a TFW. You are a PR. You can either travel on your COPR or get a travel document from the embassy. This advice has been given to you before.

Congrats Canbrit! I hope you and your husband have a long and happy life in Canada!

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks, rjessome.

At the start we were a bit concerned that she took his work permit, because we hadn't read about that before. But it's not required anymore, anyway, so we stopped worrying!

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
Rjessome - I continue to be concerned, b/c I am going to be going to a small town in Pennsylvania for a weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving, so I have no way of getting a travel document (since I won't be in or near a city with a consulate and I will only be there over a holiday weekend, when everything is closed).

I have decided not to land until my series of trips in cancelled - my PR visa doesn't expire until June 2010. Thanks.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dfb said:
Rjessome - I continue to be concerned, b/c I am going to be going to a small town in Pennsylvania for a weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving, so I have no way of getting a travel document (since I won't be in or near a city with a consulate and I will only be there over a holiday weekend, when everything is closed).

I have decided not to land until my series of trips in cancelled - my PR visa doesn't expire until June 2010. Thanks.
dfb, I don't know that you have a "choice" about when to land since you will be exiting and re-entering the country. Why don't you give CBSA a call about this and see what they tell you to do. I was hoping that PMM would chime in on this because I'm sure that he would know what you can and can't do. But just call CBSA and ask them. They will guide you. You've got a few weeks before Thanksgiving so you can prepare depending on what they say. You might even be able to get a travel document in Canada. And if you are American, it won't matter anyway because you are visa exempt so you can land and re-enter on your American passport. You don't need the work permit once you are landed and they will see that you're "landed" in your file on their computer system.

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks Rjessom. PMM actually responded on another topic post and said that I can land at any time - no requirement to do it right away.

Regarding my trip(s) - I know that when I go to clear customs, Immigration will see in the computer that I am a PR and let me through. My concern is that the airlines wont let me board the plane. I am an American, so I shouldn't have a problem since I am visa exempt, but any post I have seen on this topic (and I have googled and seen stuff all over the internet) says "SHOULDN'T" have a problem, but that it isn't entirely clear. Hence all of my stress!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canbrit said:
dfb said:
Hi dfb,

Anyone?

Canbrit
Keep the work permits for when he applies for citizenship, he will get 1/2 credit for the time he spent as a visitor up to a year's worth in his citizenship application.
If he doesn't have his PR card, then he applies for a travel document at a Canadian visa office overseas.

PMM

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
PMM said:
Hi

canbrit said:
dfb said:
Hi dfb,

Anyone?

Canbrit
Keep the work permits for when he applies for citizenship, he will get 1/2 credit for the time he spent as a visitor up to a year's worth in his citizenship application.
If he doesn't have his PR card, then he applies for a travel document at a Canadian visa office overseas.

PMM
I wish I knew that before I willingly handed over my them expired work permit. :(