+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed PR by Job Offer Employment, Can I switch employer?

kmen

May 11, 2018
Hi,

Is it possible to change employer or get another full time job as a landed PR?

Learned that this employer working with is complicated and can’t be dealt with. Maternity leave is not allowed cause employee got pregnant while on the process of PR.

However, employment contract was signed prior arrival. Is there any liabilities involved?
Was nominated by SINP for the PR approval.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Learned that this employer working with is complicated and can’t be dealt with. Maternity leave is not allowed cause employee got pregnant while on the process of PR.

However, employment contract was signed prior arrival. Is there any liabilities involved?
Yes - you can certainly change jobs once you are a PR.

kmen

May 11, 2018
I was told that it will be reported to SINP cause of the contract of employment signed prior arrival.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Maternity leave cannot be denied regardless.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maternity leave is based on hours you worked before you go on maternity leave. You must work 600 hours in the year before you have you baby to qualify for maternity payment. Maternity payments are only a fraction of your actual salary so it is important to save for maternity leave whether you qualify or not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Maternity leave is based on hours you worked before you go on maternity leave. You must work 600 hours in the year before you have you baby to qualify for maternity payment. Maternity payments are only a fraction of your actual salary so it is important to save for maternity leave whether you qualify or not.
You are quoting the requirements for maternity EI. Actual maternity leave, i.e. being able to take time off to have a child with your job staying secure regardless of whether you qualify for EI, is different and legislated under the Canada Labour Code.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are quoting the requirements for maternity EI. Actual maternity leave, i.e. being able to take time off to have a child with your job staying secure regardless of whether you qualify for EI, is different and legislated under the Canada Labour Code.
Very true. Given that the contract was signed when she was already pregnant I wanted to point out that she may not be able to accumulate the 600 hours to qualify for EI mat leave benefits.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Very true. Given that the contract was signed when she was already pregnant I wanted to point out that she may not be able to accumulate the 600 hours to qualify for EI mat leave benefits.
I suggest you be clearer with your wording in future when referring to maternity EI payments and maternity leave.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Canada Labour Code only applies to industries regulated by the Federal Government. Otherwise it falls under Saskatchewan Labour Code

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/business/employment-standards/vacations-holidays-leaves-and-absences/leaves-family-medical-and-service/family-leave

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12