+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed on July 3rd and was not issued PR card

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I emailed ircc and they said that once Copr expires I cannot use it to enter Canada and they wouldn't extend my visa date on Copr. I requested for an extension to come to Canada later this year but, that request has been denied. I was told by the officer that I can come back again via land using this Copr in the future. I'm not sure about the timeline here.
You can use your COPR to return to Canada by land at any time. You should make sure you meet your RO or you will be at risk of being reported but also have problems applying for your PR card without highlighting the fact that you are not in compliance but needing the PR card to get a SIN# and other documents.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Don't bother much about the landing experience. They can tell whatever they want, but end of the you became PR and from now on you have all rights to enter Canada whenever you want to.

Just call ircc and update them with your friend's address. Your PR card application will be processed and you will get the cards. You can do it via online form too, but it doesn't look up correctly many a times.

resh1218

Aug 25, 2020
I emailed ircc and they said that once Copr expires I cannot use it to enter Canada and they wouldn't extend my visa date on Copr. I requested for an extension to come to Canada later this year but, that request has been denied. I was told by the officer that I can come back again via land using this Copr in the future. I'm not sure about the timeline here.
Hi can you please let me know which email id you used to contact ircc

august_leo

Star Member
Oct 8, 2021
Ottawa
Our COPR expires on July 9th 2021. We went by road in our own car to the Windsor, Ontario via Ambassador Bridge, Detroit. We did our landing on July 3rd.

Our experience with all 3 cbsa officers has not been friendly at all.

We reached the bridge at around 3 pm est. There weren’t many cars at that time and we were asked to pull up at the toll booth where we met our first cbsa officer.

Officer 1 - Show your pr card /citizenship documents.

We - Gave passports and Copr and Covid negative report and answered that we want to complete the PR process and if possible return back to USA immediately.

Officer 1 - Are you not moving today permanently.
We - We will move after finding a job and closing things in USA.

Officer 1 - Why did you come today when you have no intention to move.
We - COPR expires on 9th July 2021 and if we didn’t arrive - we have to redo our application again.

Officer 1- asked our usa address and phone numbers
We - provided the information.

Officer 1 - You are saying you want to return to USA today itself.
We - Yes, we don’t have any plans of quarantine and hoping that we could go back after completing this procedure. We want to move after things improve with Covid situations.

He called someone and then handed us an yellow slip with some info on it and asked us to drive further to the building and park our car and go inside the immigration office.

We parked our car and met officer#2 who were sitting in the parking area.

Officer 2- please sit in your car, wear masks and talk to me. Give your yellow slip. Then he asks us, why are you moving to Canada.
We - explained about Copr expiring.

Officer 2 - you have been living in USA for ** number of years. Why did you apply and you don’t even want to stay and return back immediately.
We - I was super stressed by his tone and body language. I answered him that I was looking for new opportunities and will move after we get a job.

He had some conversations regarding why folks won’t move to Canada with fellow colleagues.

Officer 2 - Any weapons, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, fruits, vegetables, plants or anything that is not allowed to bring.
We - No
Officer 2 - Gave back our yellow slip and asked us to go inside the building.

No documentation has been asked by him.

We parked and entered the building. The officer #3 there was very rude.

Officer 3- give me the slip and Copr.
We - gave our Copr and passports.

Officer 3- why are you here today. You want to leave right now after this?
We - We want to complete the PR landing process and if possible yes that we want to return.

Officer 3 - have a seat.

She spoke with her colleagues and all of them seem to be annoyed and said most ppl are doing this frequently.

Officer 3 - called us to sign on the Copr.

We will not be issuing pr cards for you today. Please come back using this Copr by road and then we shall issue your card when you move permanently. You can leave now. Take the next left and you are going towards usa.

We were not asked about our gtf forms and ArriveCAN app etc. She didn’t bother to talk or take any questions.

The whole process took about 40 minutes.

On usa side
Cbp officer : scanned our passports and we were good to go. No i94 was issued. We have valid h1 stamping

Any tips on the next steps and how to get the pr card?

I don't think the CBSA officers were unfriendly based on what you wrote here. We landed in Apr 2019 with the COPR and returned to US on the same day. We were not issued PR cards. After finding a good job, we finally moved to Canada in Aug 2021 using the COPR documents(once you do soft landing with COPR documents, you are technically a PR whether you have PR card or not). Yet to receive PR card but that didn't delay anything for us or affect our lives in Canada. We got our health cards,driving license etc. So, don't worry too much about not having the physical card. You are a PR once you land. Now plan your move properly and all the very best!

august_leo

Star Member
Oct 8, 2021
Ottawa
Once the border officers stamp on COPR and enter the date for "became PR on", there is no question of "extending COPR". You are good. :)