Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
19 Nov 12
VISA ISSUED...
23/03/2013
LANDED..........
02/10/2013
Hello House , can some tell me the best and cheapest mean of transferring funds (naira to CAD)to a Canadian bank as Nigeria bank dont accept Canadian dollar. US dollar is not an option for me..... 220 naira to a dollar considering other bank charges

vikolo

Star Member
May 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/04/2010
Doc's Request.
10/06/2010; Addtnl doc request 1st December 2011, submited and acknowledged by accra in January 2012
AOR Received.
10/06/2010- 1st AOR received
IELTS Request
Done and submitted with Docs to Accra- September 2010
File Transfer...
File transfer 15/06/10: 2nd AOR recd 26/10/2010- Ecas status: IN PROCESS since Dec 2010
Med's Request
2nd May, 2012
Med's Done....
7th May, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16th July, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23rd JULY, 2012
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 2012 by GOD'S GRACE
Hello People,

If you are landing in calgary in June and need a condo in a choice area in NW calgary with schools, this may be for you. I have a currently running lease of 12 months that ends in January 2016.

Its a 2 bedroom apartment, 2 washroom, with heated underground parking stall and storage. Utilities are included in the rent.

I intend to transfer the lease to anyone interested as we will be moving to our new home around end of May/ early June.

Send me a personal message if interested or if you know anyone that may be interested.

Thank you

HisGrace

Mar 14, 2014
Hello People!!!

Please is anyone coming to Canada anytime soon? I forgot my drivers license and am wondering if anyone is coming soon. Thanks

Regards

gentleiphy

May 18, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-08-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
PER 14-01-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
14-01-2015
Med's Request
26-06-2015
Med's Done....
30-06-2015..SLU 21-07-15(Medical result received)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2015
LANDED..........
06-11-2015
HisGrace said:
Hello People!!!

Please is anyone coming to Canada anytime soon? I forgot my drivers license and am wondering if anyone is coming soon. Thanks

Regards
wont it be better you ask your family members back home here to mail or courier it to you...i think its simple and better that way.

Olukaybaba

Mar 19, 2015
Hello Vikolo,

Couldn't send a private message because I have not posted upto ten I m's, part of the silent observer crew. I am interested in the accommodation, it will be nice to have one ready as landing is soon. Could you kindly send me a private mail with a number i can call.

canada4mind

Star Member
Apr 4, 2014
Top of the morning to everyone in the forum. I landed in Alberta with my family 2 weeks back and I thank God that we are settling in very well. That said, I have a big challenge in obtaining a driver license here at alberta because my wallet mysteriously disappeared on me at MMA while trying to checkin. Every effort to get a replacement back from home don't seem to be working. As I have been told, the license cannot be reissued in absentia, so I have to be physically present at the FRSC office to have the license reissued. I still remember the details on the misplaced license as I was able to pull out my details from the FRSC website with my ID number and my date of birth. Also, a contact back home said it might be possible for him to assist me with an international driver license, but I need to know if my misplaced license details or an international driver license can assist me in any way.

ayd

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Flaky said:
Hello, anyone looking to land in Calgary and would need information and advice on banking services and products can pm me or send me an email at hephzee @ gmail.com. I work on the industry , and a good advice that can help you save time and money is extremely valuable. Being a new immigrant in Canada is tough and challenging, I know that because I have experienced it.
If your experience is in banking and would like to know how to transition in banking here in Calgary, I would be glad to share whatever information and advice with you as well.
hiya....sent you a pm

All-Wise

Sep 2, 2012
HisGrace said:
Hello People!!!

Regards
Yes. I am coming to Canada this week Sunday from Lagos.

Regards

blacky

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-11-2014
Doc's Request.
03-08-15 comp.reg. docs & salary acc stmt
Nomination.....
03-02-15
AOR Received.
03-03-15
IELTS Request
sent with Apps
File Transfer...
16-7-16 bank statement verification
Med's Request
23-02-17
Med's Done....
06-03-17
Interview........
2-5-17 RPRF+Pcc+pof+updated forms
Passport Req..
7-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
21-8-17
LANDED..........
october 2017
congratulations All wise

sega03

Jan 1, 2015
Hello house,

Got CoPR and the visa and said to start looking at my seniors experiences.

One can't even begin to put a value on the information on this forum.

Just reading through the pages have answered majority of my initial questions.

I thank everyone that has contributed to make it almost a guideline. I pray continual God's blessings over you and yours.

Momobee

Star Member
Jun 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-07-2013
Nomination.....
21-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
30-09-2014
Med's Done....
04-10-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2014
LANDED..........
Hello seniors, please how do you fund accounts in canada from Nigeria. I am looking for a way to do possibly a bank transfer from a Nigerian bank to a Canadian account.

yokusus

May 20, 2015
This was comprehensive sir, it really helped, pls keep giving us feedback as you learn more.
Lots of love to your family. Also any advice on the kids schooling, what is your view on their schools? Thanks in advance. God bless
9ja4dLord said:
Good day everyone,

I got my COPR and landed in Canada on the 24th of March. Ours was a party of 5. Myself, wifey and 3 boys.

To start with, we left Lagos on the 18th of March and had to go through the US. Plan was to fly to Canada on Sunday 22nd but that changed to Tuesday because of cost. Flight on Sunday between Newark and Calgary was US$3,430 - ONE WAY for EACH PERSON o. The same flight was 190 dollars for Tuesday. End of story. Lesson is that you should look at different days around your travel dates to see if you can make any savings. Trans continental flights look fixed but believe me, they still vary slightly.

I do not want to write for the sake of writing so I have listed the key points that I observed especially during landing and for the few days I spent in Canada.

1. Nobody really asked for POF at the entry point but I had to declare the money I had since it was more than the 10K limit in cash
2. The Immigration officer only asked me to sign the COPR. I couldn't remember the first 3 letters of the postal code and I was too tired to search my phone for it so the officer told me to go do it online when I get home and that's what I did. I didn't have to provide any address at the point of entry.
3. I was also told that I do not need to submit the list of "goods to follow" on the spot. I only need to be sure that I fill up the form whenever I am coming back into Canada with the additional goods. This can only be used ONCE within the next 12 months after landing date. What do I have to bring anyway? Buying things there may be cheaper for me than bringing stuff from Nigeria. It's more useful for folks living in the US already. They can simply bring their stuff and drive across the border.
4. I was looking for a bank that will not deduct monthly maintenance fees so I was directed to First Calgary since they have a no deduction policy. They have their limitations as a regional bank but I was ready to roll with them. However, they want us to book an appointment before they will attend to us and their requirements are sooooo many. They even want my hosts to be joint signatories on the account before they can open an account for us (wifey and self). Over wetin now? dem dey give plenty condition over say na my money dem wan take o. The following morning I was driving by a RBC branch and wifey reminded me that we once approached this very branch to open an account during our last visit to Canada and the only thing they requested was our landing paper, which we did not have then since we were just visiting. So we went in and we were asked to book an appointment (I don't know what their problem is with appointments). They also told us that they have a special package for new immigrants - free checking for 6 months and the account remains free if you have at least one investment account with them after the 6 months. Long story short, we were able to open an account with them. The Registered Education Savings Plan (savings for Children's education) qualifies as an investment account so I may be able to get the free account for a while. On the other hand, if they want to start charging maintenance fees, then I will move to First Calgary after six months since I will have most of the things they asked for by then.
5. SIN - No issues. Simply went to the nearest Service Canada office and got it sorted out.
6. Alberta health card - they requested for a proof of residence (bank mail or utility bill or a mail to an Alberta address with our name on it or a signed lease to indicate that you have rented an apartment). We didn't have this and we were ready to wait before someone told us to go back to the bank and tell them to print our statement (with our name and address). We took this to the Registry and it worked. Health Insurance settled.
7. Driver's license - This is by far the trickiest one for me. One, they didn't take the bank statement (by the way, the Registry handles both health Insurance and the driver's license). I was able to give them a signed lease though (after we got an apartment). Secondly, if you want to convert your license, they will collect the Nigerian license from you and validate it with some Nigerian Authority in Ottawa or so. Therefore, make sure your license is genuine before you leave naija. Also, bear in mind that they will not return the license to you. I had a couple of licenses with conflicting information so it was a real struggle for me. Eventually, I had to stick with driving with my Nigerian and International driver's license (of course this won't continue for long).
8. I wanted to buy a car and although I had the money for the car I opted to take it on credit and pay on a monthly basis. Why? To build a credit history. My host co-signed for me as a sort of guarantor. Please note that many people will not be comfortable to co-sign for you o. This na my brother, he knows my plans and he knows that I have the means to pay. This idea actually started when the dealer told us that they have a program that allows immigrants to pay on a monthly basis if they can show a proof of employment (with landing documents of course). I am not employed in Canada so we asked for alternatives and he told us about the co-signing option. I have two messages here - i). Ask almost everybody if they have a plan/package for new immigrants. Note that some of the plans need to be studied carefully. ii). Try to buy things on credit if possible so that you can build a credit history. Note that if you default on your payment schedule, you are killing the credit history that you planned to build.

I may not have made my points clearly so I'll be willing to clarify if there is need for that.

Finally, I want use this opportunity to show my appreciation to those that have contributed variously to making this thread a solid reference material for all of us.

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
yokusus said:
This was comprehensive sir, it really helped, pls keep giving us feedback as you learn more.
Lots of love to your family. Also any advice on the kids schooling, what is your view on their schools? Thanks in advance. God bless
I may end up not learning much as I am not staying here for long. I plan to shuttle

Kids' schools was the easiest part of the journey. A relative has helped us to book an appointment at the CBE (Calgary Board of Education) center in charge of our (proposed) residential area before we landed. So we just honoured the appointment and they allocated the kids to schools. We got calls from the schools within 24 hours and we visited them. they started school almost immediately. School workbooks and results would be immensely valuable if you have them.

Every other thing being equal, your kids would be in grades equivalent to their age minus 6 (roughly).

I wish you all the best.

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
Hello Folks
It's been a long while and I thought I should say hello. Best wishes to those still on the que and for the landed ones may Canada cooperate with our destiny by God's grace amen

sanjaysharma

May 5, 2015
Re: Passport related query.. Expiring in less than 6 months .. Single entry visa

Need your view.

We got our Passport stamped with Single entry visa last month (i.e in May 2015) with validity until first week of Dec 2015 for my family.

I have query here
1) Is it require whole family to travel together? Or Main applicant can go first and then rest of the family can join before first week of Dec.
2) My son passport is valid until 5th Dec 2015. it has one Singly entry Canada visa which was stamped last month. will there be any issue in travelling or ticket booking because his passport would be valid for a period of less than 6 months.
3) Can I renew my son passport now? Would there be any issue in flying then with new passport.

Sanjay