+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Good day everyone,

I got my COPR and landed in Canada on the 24th of March. Ours was a party of 5. Myself, wifey and 3 boys.

To start with, we left Lagos on the 18th of March and had to go through the US. Plan was to fly to Canada on Sunday 22nd but that changed to Tuesday because of cost. Flight on Sunday between Newark and Calgary was US$3,430 - ONE WAY for EACH PERSON o. The same flight was 190 dollars for Tuesday. End of story. Lesson is that you should look at different days around your travel dates to see if you can make any savings. Trans continental flights look fixed but believe me, they still vary slightly.

I do not want to write for the sake of writing so I have listed the key points that I observed especially during landing and for the few days I spent in Canada.

1. Nobody really asked for POF at the entry point but I had to declare the money I had since it was more than the 10K limit in cash
2. The Immigration officer only asked me to sign the COPR. I couldn't remember the first 3 letters of the postal code and I was too tired to search my phone for it so the officer told me to go do it online when I get home and that's what I did. I didn't have to provide any address at the point of entry.
3. I was also told that I do not need to submit the list of "goods to follow" on the spot. I only need to be sure that I fill up the form whenever I am coming back into Canada with the additional goods. This can only be used ONCE within the next 12 months after landing date. What do I have to bring anyway? Buying things there may be cheaper for me than bringing stuff from Nigeria. It's more useful for folks living in the US already. They can simply bring their stuff and drive across the border.
4. I was looking for a bank that will not deduct monthly maintenance fees so I was directed to First Calgary since they have a no deduction policy. They have their limitations as a regional bank but I was ready to roll with them. However, they want us to book an appointment before they will attend to us and their requirements are sooooo many. They even want my hosts to be joint signatories on the account before they can open an account for us (wifey and self). Over wetin now? dem dey give plenty condition over say na my money dem wan take o. The following morning I was driving by a RBC branch and wifey reminded me that we once approached this very branch to open an account during our last visit to Canada and the only thing they requested was our landing paper, which we did not have then since we were just visiting. So we went in and we were asked to book an appointment (I don't know what their problem is with appointments). They also told us that they have a special package for new immigrants - free checking for 6 months and the account remains free if you have at least one investment account with them after the 6 months. Long story short, we were able to open an account with them. The Registered Education Savings Plan (savings for Children's education) qualifies as an investment account so I may be able to get the free account for a while. On the other hand, if they want to start charging maintenance fees, then I will move to First Calgary after six months since I will have most of the things they asked for by then.
5. SIN - No issues. Simply went to the nearest Service Canada office and got it sorted out.
6. Alberta health card - they requested for a proof of residence (bank mail or utility bill or a mail to an Alberta address with our name on it or a signed lease to indicate that you have rented an apartment). We didn't have this and we were ready to wait before someone told us to go back to the bank and tell them to print our statement (with our name and address). We took this to the Registry and it worked. Health Insurance settled.
7. Driver's license - This is by far the trickiest one for me. One, they didn't take the bank statement (by the way, the Registry handles both health Insurance and the driver's license). I was able to give them a signed lease though (after we got an apartment). Secondly, if you want to convert your license, they will collect the Nigerian license from you and validate it with some Nigerian Authority in Ottawa or so. Therefore, make sure your license is genuine before you leave naija. Also, bear in mind that they will not return the license to you. I had a couple of licenses with conflicting information so it was a real struggle for me. Eventually, I had to stick with driving with my Nigerian and International driver's license (of course this won't continue for long).
8. I wanted to buy a car and although I had the money for the car I opted to take it on credit and pay on a monthly basis. Why? To build a credit history. My host co-signed for me as a sort of guarantor. Please note that many people will not be comfortable to co-sign for you o. This na my brother, he knows my plans and he knows that I have the means to pay. This idea actually started when the dealer told us that they have a program that allows immigrants to pay on a monthly basis if they can show a proof of employment (with landing documents of course). I am not employed in Canada so we asked for alternatives and he told us about the co-signing option. I have two messages here - i). Ask almost everybody if they have a plan/package for new immigrants. Note that some of the plans need to be studied carefully. ii). Try to buy things on credit if possible so that you can build a credit history. Note that if you default on your payment schedule, you are killing the credit history that you planned to build.

I may not have made my points clearly so I'll be willing to clarify if there is need for that.

Finally, I want use this opportunity to show my appreciation to those that have contributed variously to making this thread a solid reference material for all of us.

9ja4dLord

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
buzzcana said:
Hello seniors,

We landed on 15th and we planned to go back to Nigeria next week. I have given out a friends address with a request that our PR card to be sent to Nigeria. However, someone told me today that they are likely to open every document being sent at the border and will not be advisable to send by post. He advised that they might need to wait for someone travelling to Nigeria before they can send it.

Please I would like to know the advise of people that have gone through this.

Many thanks.
I assume you should be in Nigeria by now. Please let me know how the process works for you. If I have to send my PR Card though, I will prefer to have someone bring it down if possible.

bensonams

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2013
9ja4dLord said:
Good day everyone,

I got my COPR and landed in Canada on the 24th of March. Ours was a party of 5. Myself, wifey and 3 boys.

To start with, we left Lagos on the 18th of March and had to go through the US. Plan was to fly to Canada on Sunday 22nd but that changed to Tuesday because of cost. Flight on Sunday between Newark and Calgary was US$3,430 - ONE WAY for EACH PERSON o. The same flight was 190 dollars for Tuesday. End of story. Lesson is that you should look at different days around your travel dates to see if you can make any savings. Trans continental flights look fixed but believe me, they still vary slightly.

I do not want to write for the sake of writing so I have listed the key points that I observed especially during landing and for the few days I spent in Canada.

1. Nobody really asked for POF at the entry point but I had to declare the money I had since it was more than the 10K limit in cash
2. The Immigration officer only asked me to sign the COPR. I couldn't remember the first 3 letters of the postal code and I was too tired to search my phone for it so the officer told me to go do it online when I get home and that's what I did. I didn't have to provide any address at the point of entry.
3. I was also told that I do not need to submit the list of "goods to follow" on the spot. I only need to be sure that I fill up the form whenever I am coming back into Canada with the additional goods. This can only be used ONCE within the next 12 months after landing date. What do I have to bring anyway? Buying things there may be cheaper for me than bringing stuff from Nigeria. It's more useful for folks living in the US already. They can simply bring their stuff and drive across the border.
4. I was looking for a bank that will not deduct monthly maintenance fees so I was directed to First Calgary since they have a no deduction policy. They have their limitations as a regional bank but I was ready to roll with them. However, they want us to book an appointment before they will attend to us and their requirements are sooooo many. They even want my hosts to be joint signatories on the account before they can open an account for us (wifey and self). Over wetin now? dem dey give plenty condition over say na my money dem wan take o. The following morning I was driving by a RBC branch and wifey reminded me that we once approached this very branch to open an account during our last visit to Canada and the only thing they requested was our landing paper, which we did not have then since we were just visiting. So we went in and we were asked to book an appointment (I don't know what their problem is with appointments). They also told us that they have a special package for new immigrants - free checking for 6 months and the account remains free if you have at least one investment account with them after the 6 months. Long story short, we were able to open an account with them. The Registered Education Savings Plan (savings for Children's education) qualifies as an investment account so I may be able to get the free account for a while. On the other hand, if they want to start charging maintenance fees, then I will move to First Calgary after six months since I will have most of the things they asked for by then.
5. SIN - No issues. Simply went to the nearest Service Canada office and got it sorted out.
6. Alberta health card - they requested for a proof of residence (bank mail or utility bill or a mail to an Alberta address with our name on it or a signed lease to indicate that you have rented an apartment). We didn't have this and we were ready to wait before someone told us to go back to the bank and tell them to print our statement (with our name and address). We took this to the Registry and it worked. Health Insurance settled.
7. Driver's license - This is by far the trickiest one for me. One, they didn't take the bank statement (by the way, the Registry handles both health Insurance and the driver's license). I was able to give them a signed lease though (after we got an apartment). Secondly, if you want to convert your license, they will collect the Nigerian license from you and validate it with some Nigerian Authority in Ottawa or so. Therefore, make sure your license is genuine before you leave naija. Also, bear in mind that they will not return the license to you. I had a couple of licenses with conflicting information so it was a real struggle for me. Eventually, I had to stick with driving with my Nigerian and International driver's license (of course this won't continue for long).
8. I wanted to buy a car and although I had the money for the car I opted to take it on credit and pay on a monthly basis. Why? To build a credit history. My host co-signed for me as a sort of guarantor. Please note that many people will not be comfortable to co-sign for you o. This na my brother, he knows my plans and he knows that I have the means to pay. This idea actually started when the dealer told us that they have a program that allows immigrants to pay on a monthly basis if they can show a proof of employment (with landing documents of course). I am not employed in Canada so we asked for alternatives and he told us about the co-signing option. I have two messages here - i). Ask almost everybody if they have a plan/package for new immigrants. Note that some of the plans need to be studied carefully. ii). Try to buy things on credit if possible so that you can build a credit history. Note that if you default on your payment schedule, you are killing the credit history that you planned to build.

I may not have made my points clearly so I'll be willing to clarify if there is need for that.

Finally, I want use this opportunity to show my appreciation to those that have contributed variously to making this thread a solid reference material for all of us.
Thank God for safe landing.

buzzcana

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
13/09/2013
AOR Received.
09/03/2014
Med's Request
03/04/2014
Med's Done....
08/04/2014
Passport Req..
30/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Soon IJN
LANDED..........
March 2015 IJN
9ja4dLord said:
I assume you should be in Nigeria by now. Please let me know how the process works for you. If I have to send my PR Card though, I will prefer to have someone bring it down if possible.
Thanks bro. Congrats on your landing, I am glad to read success stories, thanks also for the tips. I am back in Nigeria and warming up for the final move. Our PR cards are yet to be delivered but hope they come early. How far with job search?

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
Send him a PM.... its the same as sending him an e-mail.

but i guess you need to have at least 10 posts to send PM's... all the best !

ekpoobob said:
Hi All,

Can someone please help me with Jibaba's number or email.

Robert

Preferred

Jun 25, 2013
9ja4dLord said:
Good day everyone,

Congratulations 9ja4dLord and thank you for your detailed piece.

All the best, all the way

Jibaba

Star Member
May 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
30-3-2010
IELTS Request
05-05-2011 - Scored 8.0
Med's Request
20-02-2012
Med's Done....
02-03-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012
My People of Life ....

How una dey ... We dey here dey wait una oh !! Just say make i hail una .

Cheers

Jibaba

Preferred

Jun 25, 2013
Jibaba said:
My People of Life ....

How una dey ... We dey here dey wait una oh !! Just say make i hail una .

Cheers

Jibaba
:) ;) Jibaba niyen! Thank you for checking in. We sef deh eager to come meet una. Mek u deh take dis tym prepare wella for our arrival o.

cheers

buzzcana

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
13/09/2013
AOR Received.
09/03/2014
Med's Request
03/04/2014
Med's Done....
08/04/2014
Passport Req..
30/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Soon IJN
LANDED..........
March 2015 IJN
Hello house,

I landed March 15 and came back. I am planning to go back soon and I am thinking of applying for a travel document for my family as against waiting for the PR card.

I don't know if anyone that has done this before can share his or her experience.

Thank you.

blacky

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-11-2014
Doc's Request.
03-08-15 comp.reg. docs & salary acc stmt
Nomination.....
03-02-15
AOR Received.
03-03-15
IELTS Request
sent with Apps
File Transfer...
16-7-16 bank statement verification
Med's Request
23-02-17
Med's Done....
06-03-17
Interview........
2-5-17 RPRF+Pcc+pof+updated forms
Passport Req..
7-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
21-8-17
LANDED..........
october 2017
Thanks everyone

Omo Naija

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 24, 2013
I'll advise you patiently wait for your PR card to be mailed to you in Naija cos i went through the travel document application process and it was very disappointing and stressful.
More so, i almost missed my flight back to Canada because of that as they held on to my international passport way beyond the posted timelines.( i even received my PR card while still waiting for the travel document application to be processed)

Trust me, don't venture down that route... Thank me later !

buzzcana said:
Hello house,

I landed March 15 and came back. I am planning to go back soon and I am thinking of applying for a travel document for my family as against waiting for the PR card.

I don't know if anyone that has done this before can share his or her experience.

Thank you.

buzzcana

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
13/09/2013
AOR Received.
09/03/2014
Med's Request
03/04/2014
Med's Done....
08/04/2014
Passport Req..
30/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Soon IJN
LANDED..........
March 2015 IJN
Omo Naija said:
I'll advise you patiently wait for your PR card to be mailed to you in Naija cos i went through the travel document application process and it was very disappointing and stressful.
More so, i almost missed my flight back to Canada because of that as they held on to my international passport way beyond the posted timelines.( i even received my PR card while still waiting for the travel document application to be processed)

Trust me, don't venture down that route... Thank me later !
@Omo Naija,

I am thanking you now because I was having the same fear. I know how embassy hold on to passport unduly atimes

I sincerely appreciate your response.

Cheers

megeremore

Jan 14, 2010
buzzcana said:
@ Omo Naija,

I am thanking you now because I was having the same fear. I know how embassy hold on to passport unduly atimes

I sincerely appreciate your response.

Cheers
Those guys can hold your passport for more than 6 months o! I'm talking from experience

buzzcana

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
13/09/2013
AOR Received.
09/03/2014
Med's Request
03/04/2014
Med's Done....
08/04/2014
Passport Req..
30/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Soon IJN
LANDED..........
March 2015 IJN
megeremore said:
Those guys can hold your passport for more than 6 months o! I'm talking from experience
Thanks

jodav3

Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 19, 2011
AOR Received.
21/11/2011
Med's Request
25/10/2013
Med's Done....
06/11/2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
April 2, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
11/6/2014
Is anyone coming to Calgary before the end of the month and requires accommodation for at least one month. Please PM me urgently for a cheap but nice accommodation around NW area of the town.