+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDED NAIJA APPLICANT PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERINCE

Imole

Dec 30, 2010
thejackson said:
Imole

Thank you for keeping in touch. The lord will see you through.Were you able to get your refund from British Airways?

wishing you the very best in Calgary.
On the British airways I was informed by the Calgary branch
here to send my bank account and other details to Nigeria
ba where the ticket was purchased, I think the response is
positive. I have sent them a mail in Nigeria, I will call them also to intimate
them of the development with a copy of the letter sent to me
here from ba Calgary. Thank you.

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
Weldone Imole, keep posting. May your pen never runs dry!!!

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
Imole said:
I landed barely three weeks ago in Calgary, well I am lucky to have somebody here who accomodated
me and my family for those three weeks, I have moved into a basement( yesterday) with my family, cost is 750cad without
utilities. Everything is working fine here but our Naija money is nothing compared to the canadian dollar, especially if
you have not gotten a job. I am presently improving my business communication skills with a
three month training program to boost my chances in the job market,
all along its been fine. Everybody here has been fine, the social amenities here are excellent.
I have also gone to the Newcomers Centre here, they gave me coupon for food, furniture(sleepcountry) and I was
made to understand that my kids will be paid some money since we are not working yet. I can also open seperate
College account for the kids and decide to put say 10cad dollar every month, so that when they are grown up
the government will pay a subtantial part of there college tuition fee. Everything is just falling on me like torrents
of goodies. I also have the option of moving around with a subsidized train ticket and a credit card of 1000cad because I opened
an account with RBC. My problem is moving my family around since I cannot drive yet and there insistence on Canadian experience
before you are giving a job.
I think its been a whole new experience for me.....

Congrats brother. May the Lord speed you up as you settle down. Take it from me that you are on the path to great success. I love your style of communication and in a while I had only read something like this from Shalom.

Keep it up.

However, there is need to educate us before landing about how to and what to be careful of in the choice of the utilities company's and pit fall's in certain plans with respect to internet-landline-cable tv-mobile phone and the rest.

@ all landed Naija, please tell us about car insurance.

Thanks

Akerekoro

Mar 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 6th, 2011
AOR Received.
Sept 19th, 2011
Med's Request
Sept 11th, 2013
Med's Done....
Sept 28th, 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Oct 25th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 30th, 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 2nd, 2014
Imole said:
Well the three month program is organized by Calgary Immigrant Educational Centre,
it is meant for new permanent resident, refugees and others who have just enter the
Canadian job environment to prepare them on how to write resume, business communication,
basic computer skills, web development etc The interesting part of it is that you get to meet
potential employer one on one. At the end of the programme you will be given the opportunity
of actual workplace experience where you may be retained or otherwise. There are so many
training programme for newcomers, infact I was introduced to another one where in they pay one thousand
canadian dollars in case one is not yet employed.
It is not a matter of I am a doctor(Phd) or I hold a masters degree, you need the Canadian experience/ license if you want to get
job in your field or even any field of endeavour( Imagine getting license for Security) ,
well others may be lucky but from what I was told its not much of the certificate but what
you can do with the certificate.
One other thing is that for those landing in Alberta like me use kijiji web site for job, furniture, household appliances some of the
things there might even go for free.
Congratulations Imole. Your report is so delighting. I pray you get your choicest job very soon.

spokes

Nov 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Already landed!
Shalom1 said:
Hi Spokes,
Its been a long time! How are you doing? Hope all is well.
How far with your application?
I wish you the best in your application in this 2nd half of the year.

Best wishes
Shalom
Hey Shalom!!!
Sorry, I'm just seeing your post!!! Been kind of tied up!!!!
My application is still on o!!! No shaking :D
Thanks so much for the best wishes and I am so hopeful for the latter part of this year o :)
Cheers my brother

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
EMO said:
Congrats brother. May the Lord speed you up as you settle down. Take it from me that you are on the path to great success. I love your style of communication and in a while I had only read something like this from Shalom.

Keep it up.

However, there is need to educate us before landing about how to and what to be careful of in the choice of the utilities company's and pit fall's in certain plans with respect to internet-landline-cable tv-mobile phone and the rest.

@ all landed Naija, please tell us about car insurance.

Thanks
Yea EMO i agree with you on that but i also think its high time Shallom release Part 2 of his experience!!! Part 1 was quite insightful and part two wont be a bad idea!!!

@Imole many thanks for sparing time to share your experience we know how valuable time can be over there.

@ Gent, Jada and others in Calgary please shed more light on telephone, insurance and othere utility bill/operators in Calgary while our Pa Oloye, Seglad. Shallom and babe Omoge can share toronto experience of course not forgetting Oladapo and Idan for the Manitoba perspective. I heard there is one thief operator called Rogers i read on the Indian thread that we should be careful and not sign contract with them please we need all and including those whose names are not mentioned to please share thier view.

Thanks in advance
T
Babe Tinu!!!

BDPA

Star Member
Jun 1, 2011
LONDON
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th Sept,2011
Med's Request
29th March,2012
Med's Done....
Received by VO 23rd April,2012 Ecas 14th May,2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21st May,2012 and submitted by hand 7th June,2012
VISA ISSUED...
12th June,2012 and collected 14th June,2012
LANDED..........
12th July,2012
Congratulations Imole!!!,

Pls could you PM your number as i and my family will be landing on Thursday the 12th July,2012 by the Grace of God.

We will be landing in Calgary.

Thank you

BDPA

9jcanada

Champion Member
Oct 16, 2010
Calgary Alberta
App. Filed.......
12/01/2011
AOR Received.
10/06/2011
Med's Request
09/02/2012
Med's Done....
14/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
04/05/2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
BDPA said:
Congratulations Imole!!!,

Pls could you PM your number as i and my family will be landing on Thursday the 12th July,2012 by the Grace of God.

We will be landing in Calgary.

Thank you

BDPA
Hi BDPA,

Nice to see another Naija family heading to Calgary. We will be arriving late August. Please stay in touch as your experience will be of help to us.

Regards

9j

4glory

Feb 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
September 2012
Hi All,
I just stumbled on this thread late yesterday evening on page 45 and read through to this point, I must say I'm very impressed with the information I have gathered so far, I am sure they will come in handy soon as I await the final phase of my application process. Here is wishing everyone the very best in their endeavour.
Cheers

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
4glory said:
Hi All,
I just stumbled on this thread late yesterday evening on page 45 and read through to this point, I must say I'm very impressed with the information I have gathered so far, I am sure they will come in handy soon as I await the final phase of my application process. Here is wishing everyone the very best in their endeavour.
Cheers
Welcome on board brother/sister/Ma/Pa fix one for yourself and that will be fine by me. bienvenue à bord une fois de plus

yejydo

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akerekoro said:
Congratulations Imole. Your report is so delighting. I pray you get your choicest job very soon.
It s apparennt that calgary has a lot of freebies and newcomer friendly programms esp paying an immigrant for childcaare b4 employment.. that s fantastic... i can now see why a lot of pple are landing in calgary!! ;D
Is there any other province with similar stuff???
Bcos i m planning to land in vancouver... hw newcomer frinddly is dis place? seniors pls share... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

4glory

Feb 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
September 2012
EMO said:
Welcome on board brother/sister/Ma/Pa fix one for yourself and that will be fine by me. bienvenue à bord une fois de plus
Many thanks.

Biolah

Jul 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
27th Jan.2014
VISA ISSUED...
30th Jan. 2014
LANDED..........
16th MAY 2014
@egrace,

Longtime, hw is montreal?
BIOLAH

egrace62 said:
LADAPO4real,Bienvenu au Canada :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shalom1

Nov 7, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
4th Nov 2011
yejydo said:
It s apparennt that calgary has a lot of freebies and newcomer friendly programms esp paying an immigrant for childcaare b4 employment.. that s fantastic... i can now see why a lot of pple are landing in calgary!! ;D
Is there any other province with similar stuff???
Bcos i m planning to land in vancouver... hw newcomer frinddly is dis place? seniors pls share... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Canada is generally friendly to immigrants. Vancouver will not be different. Your children will also get some money in Vancouver. So bring plenty children :p. There are a lot a of training for new comers in Canada (paid for by CIC). I was offered one in Ontario but I turned it down after attending for 1 week. In Ontario, I am not aware of subsidized transport (though I was once given 2 bus tickets by the training centre). I am also not aware of any coupon for food or furniture. That must be very good of Alberta govt. Shebi dem get oil for there now ;D?
I think there are many Nigerian immigrants in Calgary. Besides, Alberta has lower cost of living compare to provinces like BC & Ontario partly due to lower HST tax in Alberta, which is 5% compare to Ontario that is 13%.

However, I strongly encourage people to consider career viability before deciding on where to land. Another important factor is provincial regulations (if any) in your profession. I made the mistake of not researching Ontario regulations in my profession until three months after landing. I had to write 4 exams to be deemed fit by provincial regulators. Though I got the result of my last exam this week but I had wasted 7 months. No shaking sha. Baba God dey for him childrenses :p :p

yejydo, BC has a friendly govt insurance programme for everybody. That is a +ve one in BC. There is a compulsory liability insurance issued by BC govt only (monopolist) and that meets the legal requirements of being on the road. You can add options like increasing the liability coverage, collision, comprehensive, etc and these are available from private insurers. A new immigrant I know in BC is paying less than half of my cost for the same level of coverage. So lucky you for that but it seems BC has the highest cost of living in Canada and the best weather as well. In contrast, Alberta cost of living is lower than BC but what about Alberta Sunny weather?
Its well with everyone's applications.

Imole, Congrats and God's blessings in Calgary

Please research for yourself and don't rely 100% on my postings as they are just my opinion.

Best wishes
Shalom

Canadian Tafi

Dec 20, 2011
Shalom1 said:
Canada is generally friendly to immigrants. Vancouver will not be different. Your children will also get some money in Vancouver. So bring plenty children :p. There are a lot a of training for new comers in Canada (paid for by CIC). I was offered one in Ontario but I turned it down after attending for 1 week. In Ontario, I am not aware of subsidized transport (though I was once given 2 bus tickets by the training centre). I am also not aware of any coupon for food or furniture. That must be very good of Alberta govt. Shebi dem get oil for there now ;D?
I think there are many Nigerian immigrants in Calgary. Besides, Alberta has lower cost of living compare to provinces like BC & Ontario partly due to lower HST tax in Alberta, which is 5% compare to Ontario that is 13%.

However, I strongly encourage people to consider career viability before deciding on where to land. Another

important factor is provincial regulations (if any) in your profession. I made the mistake of not researching
Ontario regulations in my profession until three months after landing. I had to write 4 exams to be deemed
fit by provincial regulators. Though I got the result of my last exam this week but I had wasted 7 months.
No shaking sha. Baba God dey for him childrenses :p :p

Thanks Shalom, this is indeed an eye opener. So Oyinbo nor lie when them say one year funds! I pray the Lord grants you the best. 7 months without work isn't a joke in Oyinbo land. Thanks anyway, it has helped me to know what to expect.

Tafi

yejydo, BC has a friendly govt insurance programme for everybody. That is a +ve one in BC. There is a compulsory liability insurance issued by BC govt only (monopolist) and that meets the legal requirements of being on the road. You can add options like increasing the liability coverage, collision, comprehensive, etc and these are available from private insurers. A new immigrant I know in BC is paying less than half of my cost for the same level of coverage. So lucky you for that but it seems BC has the highest cost of living in Canada and the best weather as well. In contrast, Alberta cost of living is lower than BC but what about Alberta Sunny weather?
Its well with everyone's applications.

Imole, Congrats and God's blessings in Calgary

Please research for yourself and don't rely 100% on my postings as they are just my opinion.

Best wishes
Shalom