+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'Landed' in Nova Scotia - 3 months update.

canada1231

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
Bank statement (best), show online banking, ATM balance at the airport, etc. The funds don't have to be in Canadian dollars.
Thanks, but if we have to open a Bank Account in Halifax before we arrive, which is the recommended bank.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, but if we have to open a Bank Account in Halifax before we arrive, which is the recommended bank.
You don't have to open a bank account. You can have a copy of your current bank account in your home country like you submitted in your application.

Milsrome

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
CA
LANDED..........
July 2017
Re-sharing this information and amazing program (free) for approved immigrants who yet to arrive in Canada.

Get help before arriving in Canada – Pre-arrival services funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). One of these is Settlement Online Pre Arrival (SOPA). SOPA offers FREE Online Courses that will help pre-landed newcomers to find and retain employment once they arrive in Canada. SOPA is a province specific program and is offered in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Ontario, Alberta and the Atlantic Provinces. The earliest you can register for the program is when your PR application is at the Medical Stage or received a Letter from Visa office to Register for Pre-Arrival Services. You will meet (online) with an Intake Counsellor to discuss your settlement needs and have the chance to register for the courses. The courses focuses on job searching, developing Canadian resume/Cover letter, applying for job, the importance of soft skills, gaining awareness of Canadian workplace and culture. For registration, go to the link and a staff will contact you once registered http://www.arriveprepared.ca/

Duneac

Jul 9, 2017
Greetings fellow aliens

About a year ago when I was planning my move, I kept finding many stories of disappointment from people that had moved to Canada. It especially came down to not being able to find work. Then someone in one of the threads said that most of the people that post either had really good experiences or really bad experiences, the ones with fairly average experiences simply settle in and get on with the business of living.

I thought it was important that I come back and leave some feedback. One, because this forum was and continues to be so important for me on this journey. Two, it is important especially for those still on the fence to get as many views as possible to help them make an advised decision. In the end of course, everyone's experience is unique.

Here is a brief of my experience.
I arrived in Halifax Nova Scotia on 16th April 2018. Today marks 3 months since that landing. I live in Halifax now. I would describe my experience as being normal. Nothing remarkable. I had taken the SOPA pre-arrival course for BC before I landed which was great. Even though I ended up in a different province, the learnings were transferrable. My resume was ready to go, the day I arrived. I also printed business cards at my local UPS (terrible print quality) that first week so I would have something to leave with people when I met them.

I signed up to Indeed and sent out a few targeted resumes. Within the first month I attended 3 interviews, received 2 offers and accepted one. Only one of those interviews was from an Indeed applications, the others were as a result or networking and professional organisations such as Halifax Partnership Connector Program and of course ISANS. During week 6 or 7, I was invited to interview for another role thanks to one of those organisations (they send your resume to interested/registered local companies ) I then got an offer following 3 stages of interviews. Since it was a more professional role. I turned down the initial offer I had accepted.

The role is below the pay level I had in my previous country but it got my foot in the door and I continue to apply for roles that catch my interest and match my skills.

Today, 90 days since I arrived, I received my PR card. I have been staring at it all afternoon. It's a good feeling, but it's also a normal feeling. There is no magic dust, not that I expected any. Once you arrive, you soon fall into the normal rituals of life. Commuting, grocery shopping, bills, chatting about the weather, watering your tiny summer garden and that becomes your new normal. It's life, just thousands of miles away from the place you once called home.

- PK.

Questions welcome. My blog is https://alieninvancouver.blog/
Hi @AlieninVancouver,

Thank you for this post. It gives people like us who are about to make the big move, a lot of hope and reassurance.
I am moving to Halifax next month with my family (spouse and a 4 yr child) after completing my soft landing last year.

I will be in an Airbnb for the initial days until I find a rental accommodation which I will look for on Kijiji among other places. I have been going through a few discussions on other forums and read that getting a long-term rental lease could be difficult while not having a job.

Is this true? Also, other than Kijiji, would it easier to get an accommodation if I directly get in touch with condominiums?
I would really appreciate if you could throw some light on this.

Thank you in advance.
Duneac

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi @AlieninVancouverI have been going through a few discussions on other forums and read that getting a long-term rental lease could be difficult while not having a job.

Is this true? Also, other than Kijiji, would it easier to get an accommodation if I directly get in touch with condominiums?

Thank you in advance.
Duneac
Not sure about Halifax but at least in GTA, it is tough but possible. Without job or any way to provide credit history or guarantor, many of the landlords will not be willing in renting it to you unless you sweeten deal by bidding higher. Get in touch with a leasing agent who can help you with the process . Kijiji works too, just that as a newcomer you are on hook to check all the details of rental agreement. A leasing agent will take one month rent from seller/landlord so usually as a renter you don't pay anything.

Ofcourse if the market is slow more landlords might be interested in renting, so it depends on local conditions

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @AlieninVancouver,

Thank you for this post. It gives people like us who are about to make the big move, a lot of hope and reassurance.
I am moving to Halifax next month with my family (spouse and a 4 yr child) after completing my soft landing last year.

I will be in an Airbnb for the initial days until I find a rental accommodation which I will look for on Kijiji among other places. I have been going through a few discussions on other forums and read that getting a long-term rental lease could be difficult while not having a job.

Thank you in advance.
Duneac
Not a ton of condos in Halifax you will be looking at houses and apartments. Some apartments may have rental offices and even post vacancies outside the apartment. I am unsure of what the major apartment listing website is for Halifax but sure you can find that out. A few days in an Airbnb is unlikely going to be enough time to find a place to live and move in. Would start with 2 weeks and see if you can find something. Perhaps you can look at extending the Airbnb for a bit longer or at least have a plan b if you need to stay longer.. Without a job landlords are more likely going to ask you to provide financial information to prove that you have the savings to cover 6 months worth of rent if it takes you a while to find employment. Wouldn’t expect or suggest offering to pay a landlord more unless you are in competition with another renter and desperately want the rental.

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for keeping us informed about your personal experience.
How is job market in Halifax right now?
How does it compare to elsewhere Montreal, Calgary, Toronto?
Just some general pointers would be appreciated.
Landed in Vancouver 2 years ago. Still.no job. Awful experience and hated living in Vancouver. Expensive city and I did get along very well with the people's attitude, in general. Some people like it there, me not. Your mileage may vary. Apart from this, yes beautiful landscapes, and a descent share of sunshine during the year, but to me that should be it.

I want to give it a go in another province now. I am interested in Calgary, found helpful people there but I am told the economy did not pick up fully yet. Still ups and downs in the wake of the oil recession. I am looking at the prospect of eastern coast and Quebec.
I speak French as native language. Any insights?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for keeping us informed about your personal experience.
How is job market in Halifax right now?
How does it compare to elsewhere Montreal, Calgary, Toronto?
Just some general pointers would be appreciated.
Landed in Vancouver 2 years ago. Still.no job. Awful experience and hated living in Vancouver. Expensive city and I did get along very well with the people's attitude, in general. Some people like it there, me not. Your mileage may vary. Apart from this, yes beautiful landscapes, and a descent share of sunshine during the year, but to me that should be it.

I want to give it a go in another province now. I am interested in Calgary, found helpful people there but I am told the economy did not pick up fully yet. Still ups and downs in the wake of the oil recession. I am looking at the prospect of eastern coast and Quebec.
I speak French as native language. Any insights?
What kind of job are you looking for? Would say the job market is much better in Vancouver than Halifax but the cost of living is certainly higher. The Martimes are not known to be an area with the strong economies when it comes to Canada although NS, especially the greater Halifax area, is probably the strongest region. In general the Maritimes has an ageing population and is trying to attract and retain younger people. Definitely more issues with things like doctor shortages in the region. Calgary is also a region that is still recovering, is more affordable than other larger cities but the economy is not very diversified. The fact that Alberta has just announced a new budget with cutbacks will mean less job opportunities.

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Canuck78,
Thanks for the heads up.
I am mechanical engineer and have background in oil and gas industry. I am looking for job in related field and open to leverage on transferable skills to pursue other careers / opportunities. I have no objections to work as technologist, but in this respect also, all attempts have failed. I of course tried to register myself in a Professional Engineering Association, starting with BC, and I do have a shot for P.Eng registration, but I lost confidence that it would be a game changer. I know it will increase my chances but I also do know that it will require again expenses from my own pocket which would correspond to the application fees plus further university courses that for sure I will be required to complete - with NO guarantee. Reason for this fear is that I have a quite good resume since it landed my highly paid jobs in Western Europe, but that very resume is given zero consideration here.
For now, I just need a job that would relief the financial pressure and which has a little bit of technical content. When I was living/working in Europe, I used to have no problem securing interviews and offer letters. Here since I landed, two years ago, no recruiter ever called me once, except one in NS but that was a while ago.
Consequently, I had to send back my family to country of origin until I could see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Till date I sent hundreds (if not a thousand) of resume toward AB companies, ALL my expressions of interest have been ignored (I really mean 100%!!, No emails, no call, no F*** you - sorry for the later). I have attended a workshop to shape/format my resume to Canadian custom style and practice interviews. In Vancouver, its even worse, not a single response to my applications, even for 'low grade' jobs.
In all case, I am very much determined to leave Vancouver by all means. It is just I do not want to gamble! When I see here people driving in BC, the average car costs what? 50 to 100 000 CAD?, houses are extremely expensives - its just incredible (and few people are multi-owners mind you), I am happy for them but its just outrageous! because this means the money is THERE but nobody is willing to give a hand. If you go to Richmond, you need to speak Chinese (no disrepect for Chinese fellows), if you go to Surrey, its again something else. So, sorry not for me -> Leave Vancouver ASAP. Please excuse my frustration, but hey, I think there are solid ground to becoming upset.

So what should I do? What about Quebec? I heard the economy and job market there is improving lately.
Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you speak French? If not you are going to struggle finding employment in Quebec. Why did you decide to immigrate to Canada if you were getting so many lucrative opportunities in Western Europe. As I’m sure you know the oil and gas industry really crashed 5+ years ago when oils prices decreased dramatically. Many Canadian were laid off so you should have predicted that getting into oil and gas job would be difficult and many who were laid off would be given priority if companies needed to rehire. No oil and gas jobs in Halifax. You will need to focus on getting licensed to access many opportunities. Would look carefully to see if Halifax actually makes sense. There are a lot of mechanical engineers in Canada so competition can be pretty tough for jobs. Getting licensed as an Engineer in Canada is pretty important. Maybe someone will comment on opportunities for mechanical engineers in Canada in general.

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Thanks Canuck78 for your response.

I am willing to pursue a career not limited to mechanical engineering, as long as it has a bit of technical content. I do not want to be picky. Like I said, a technologist career would suit me perfectly. I also learned a lot while unemployed, by studying hard so I have built extra skills in machine learning, statistics and a bit of software engineering. I do not mind to start as fresh/green/beginner in a new field (not necessarily mechanical engineering) and re-build everything from scratch. I am also open to freelancing.

In regard to your point: why did I not stay in Western Europe? I basically have a passport from a highly third world country. I have no control over this. Anyhow, as long as I had a valid work permit in EU, I could relatively easily land a new job as my skills were in high demand. When the oil & gas recession occurred, to some extend it did hit Europe too - so I got laid off (more precisely my contract expired by power of law). Yet, I managed to get a new job there but it took me a while. However and as crazy as it may sound, while I started to work on my new job and got assigned on a project, with a valid residence permit (1.5 year to go before it would expire) in hand, Immigration said NO WAY. Reason, the gap between two consecutive jobs (so between the current one and previous) was exceeding 28 DAYS and according to their regulations, which I knew off, I had to do it all over again (means go back to country of origin and get relocated from there). I knew it was going to be tricky but not the point I was required to leave the country just because of the time gap; means personal circumstances were going to be evaluated (I worked there for 5 years, settled and paid all my taxes). The employer was also flabbergasted to hear this! Also Immigration said, because of the gap, I was not allowed to apply to citizenship in the interim even tough my residence permit was valid! There are fees and processing time associated with a new relocation, and the employer just said sorry we cannot do that - it was not compatible with a project already on fast track schedule (which to a certain extend I can comprehend). Therefore I had to leave EU. I had to throw all my belongings, car, etc. into garbage and move back. At that point, my skills were still in high demand, yet without a valid EU work permit, employers were reluctant to relocate me / sponsor me again because of the burden of the relocation process (and starting 2015, if I recall well, Immigration made it pretty expensive). I certainly could land interviews again but with a limiting passport, I could not make it. I could stay in country of origin, but by the looks of it, the country is going down the drain from a safety and economic point of view. If it improves in future, I may reconsider. Anyhow this is the story behind me applying to join Canada. Sorry long long story but I just wanted to share it so there context is well understood. In total, its been 3 years of high turbulence that I want to come to an end.

In the next weeks, I shall need to move out of Vancouver and I just need to pick a destination. Yes I do speak French as native language. Would you consider Quebec ? Any help/orientation again further would be great.

PS: I heard that there some oil & gas companies headquartered in St. John, would that make sense to give it a try there?

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Extra question:
In regard to French, I speak it as native so no accent or well its kind of French spoken in Paris and around. Means my French does not even have south France, midi or Breton accent. My question: is this a problem? I heard horror stories that there is risk to create a 'complex' with French speaking people from Quebec, and I may be turned down just because of this. Sorry but I need to explore all possibilities..this is because I observe since my arrival that most of things even the most sincere are often twisted.