+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'Landed' in Nova Scotia - 3 months update.

Duneac

Jul 9, 2017
Not sure about Halifax but at least in GTA, it is tough but possible. Without job or any way to provide credit history or guarantor, many of the landlords will not be willing in renting it to you unless you sweeten deal by bidding higher. Get in touch with a leasing agent who can help you with the process . Kijiji works too, just that as a newcomer you are on hook to check all the details of rental agreement. A leasing agent will take one month rent from seller/landlord so usually as a renter you don't pay anything.

Ofcourse if the market is slow more landlords might be interested in renting, so it depends on local conditions
Thankin
Not a ton of condos in Halifax you will be looking at houses and apartments. Some apartments may have rental offices and even post vacancies outside the apartment. I am unsure of what the major apartment listing website is for Halifax but sure you can find that out. A few days in an Airbnb is unlikely going to be enough time to find a place to live and move in. Would start with 2 weeks and see if you can find something. Perhaps you can look at extending the Airbnb for a bit longer or at least have a plan b if you need to stay longer.. Without a job landlords are more likely going to ask you to provide financial information to prove that you have the savings to cover 6 months worth of rent if it takes you a while to find employment. Wouldn’t expect or suggest offering to pay a landlord more unless you are in competition with another renter and desperately want the rental.
Thank you @subodhp and canuck78. While we are being realistic and open about the job market in canada, we really didn't realize how difficult finding an accommodation could possibly get.

Thank you once again for your inputs. An extended Airbnb sounds the best option and the way to go.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thankin

Thank you @subodhp and canuck78. While we are being realistic and open about the job market in canada, we really didn't realize how difficult finding an accommodation could possibly get.

Thank you once again for your inputs. An extended Airbnb sounds the best option and the way to go.
Finding accommodations anywhere in a few days seems pretty unrealistic to me. Just think you need to have more padding time in your plan.

lina_ballerina

May 17, 2018
My background is design, Advertising and Marketing. I have about 10 years of experience, 5 in design and advertising and the last in Marketing and Brand Strategy development. Education is a BA from Uganda and an MA from the UK.
What! I have the same experience and background and from kenya and moving to Halifax!!

Fingers crossed... if you ever read this please do reach out. I'd love to pick your brain a little bit.

Reactions: ranjitrajkumar

ranjitrajkumar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
What! I have the same experience and background and from kenya and moving to Halifax!!

Fingers crossed... if you ever read this please do reach out. I'd love to pick your brain a little bit.
@lina_ballerina its so nice to see a familiar name here along with @canuck78. I too am landing in Halifax by June of 2020.
Accommodation is the primary concern, but I guess that also goes hand in hand with schooling for my 6-year-old.

Do you guys know which is a good public school and a good residential area close to the school.

I am a Technical Writer from Bangalore, India, it is highly unlikely that I would get a job in the same field. I have done computer tech support (end-user, desktop, and servers) in the past, both on-field and at a call center, so I am looking at pursuing that line of work.

ranjitrajkumar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
Are you folks aware of any groups on WhatsApp, Telegram, or Facebook? Please DM me, as the forum does not allow posting links to these platforms

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@lina_ballerina its so nice to see a familiar name here along with @canuck78. I too am landing in Halifax by June of 2020.
Accommodation is the primary concern, but I guess that also goes hand in hand with schooling for my 6-year-old.

Do you guys know which is a good public school and a good residential area close to the school.

I am a Technical Writer from Bangalore, India, it is highly unlikely that I would get a job in the same field. I have done computer tech support (end-user, desktop, and servers) in the past, both on-field and at a call center, so I am looking at pursuing that line of work.
Sure there is information online. Many times the best schools are in more suburban areas but if you won’t have a car at least for a while many of these areas may not make sense. Please remember that settling in to Canada takes some time. Where you rent and where your child goes to school initially is not permanent. You can always relocate once you have permanent employment, are more familiar with the city, have a car, etc. In Canada most schools are good.

Reactions: ranjitrajkumar

ranjitrajkumar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
Sure there is information online. Many times the best schools are in more suburban areas but if you won’t have a car at least for a while many of these areas may not make sense. Please remember that settling in to Canada takes some time. Where you rent and where your child goes to school initially is not permanent. You can always relocate once you have permanent employment, are more familiar with the city, have a car, etc. In Canada most schools are good.
Thanks for your insight. We are preparing, and hopefully, we shouldn't have too many issues settling in. My priorities (very broadly) are:
1. Accommodation
2, Schooling
3. Driving license
4. Jobs
5. Upskilling for a trade job (plumber or electrician)

If it isn't too much trouble, please share your thoughts.

Last edited: