Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
maverick_stallion said:
People,

can you pl guide me if i am taking my cell, laptop and handy cam to canada will the power cord change as i hv heard they have DC supply in canada and in india its ac supply.

Pl gude....
Nothing changes... u just have to purchase a 'flat pin adapter' to be able to use the wall sockets. It costs $10-15 in most shops & the smart ones buy it in 'Dollar Stores', where it is for the taking@$1.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
azir said:
Hello! every1
im new to this site n this thread too...
i have been reading this thread n its really very helpful..specially rocky u did a g8 job.
but i too have a prob to discuss.
did my landing on 7th april 2010 but i was nt able to stay back long soi had to leave after 10 days..everthin went well at airport smooth n without any problems
but i left canada b4 gettin my prc coz i couldnt stay tht long..
i have to fly back to canada in july but my prc hasnot reached at the address given to them at the airport
so plz tell me is it normal tht i takes so long for the prc to come...its been 42 days till now?
n is there any other way ican enter canada in july as my seats r cnfrmd plz do help me out?
1. The PRCs usually come by 3-4 weeks. In some cases it took around 6 weeks.
2. For the procedure of Entering Canada w/out a PR card, check here:
Landing, Explained: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t36735.0.html

Qorax

azir

Mar 22, 2010
Hello Qorax,
thanku very much for ur prompt response
i have chkd that site n found it really useful
i have one more qs do u knw how much time it takes to get tht travel documentn how much is its validity
e.g if i need to travel in first week of july n if my prc isnt there then when i should apply to the embassy for the document
i will b thnkful if u let me knw
thnks again keep up the good work!

lands

Jan 28, 2010
qorax said:
Nothing changes... u just have to purchase a 'flat pin adapter' to be able to use the wall sockets. It costs $10-15 in most shops & the smart ones buy it in 'Dollar Stores', where it is for the taking @ $1.

Qorax
You will also need to check if your equipment can handle loads between 110-220.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
azir said:
Hello Qorax,
thanku very much for ur prompt response
i have chkd that site n found it really useful
i have one more qs do u knw how much time it takes to get tht travel documentn how much is its validity
e.g if i need to travel in first week of july n if my prc isnt there then when i should apply to the embassy for the document
i will b thnkful if u let me knw
thnks again keep up the good work!
azir, if you are wondering why nobody is replying to your messages, it's because your inbox is full.

As for travel document, you should contact the embassy where you are and ask them how long it takes.

lands

Jan 28, 2010
Not to paint a bleak picture for you folks who are planning to come to Canada..it is one of the very best countries to live in and if you have the commitment and the drive the sky is the limit for you...

However for many the first few months (or years...) will be tough..most of you are highly qualified individuals, had a established life, respectable job in your home country ... BUT in Canada you will be required to start from scratch... be ready for it..be ready to get down and dirty....

Some tips that I used..in my Job hunt..I landed in Toronto..what I soon found out was that..the market was flooded with people looking for jobs...so I decided to look outside of Toronto..outside of Ontario for that matter...sure enough there was jobs to be taken..of course it is not easy to move to a new country and then having to move to another province all together..most people tend to stick in Toronto..because it is the most culturally diversified community..you feel more or less like you are living at home....one of the key things that works against all us immigrants especially in this market..with the economy being so down..and so many people looking for jobs...employers hold the power...which also means they get to pick.... so even before we start they already have an excuse for not hiring us "No Canadian experience" this does not go to say that every employer will do this...but the majority will...so how do you get Canadian experience..? I choose to leave Toronto and relocate myself to a different province..where not everybody will move to..yes..it was remote and it did not feel like I was living in Canada and there were days I wondered..why the hell did I move to Canada..? This was not the life I planned...but with the eye on the big picture.."Canadian experience"..I managed to get some under my belt..Did some work related exams..and after 4 years..I now find myself back in Toronto..doing the job I wanted..and having employers calling me!!!

Look for jobs in Northern AB, NWT, ..the conditions might be a bit harsh (Winter , remote) but you get paid well and more importantly you get Canadian experience..plus employers in these areas offer great benefits since it is hard to recruit… it will also help some of you who is wanting to brushup on your english...if you are away from your community..the less you use your native language to talk....and you are forced to use english...we are in Canada we need to learn English or French. to be able to communicate

One other thing I did…before I came to Canada..I checked Canadian job sites to see what kind of openings were there in my field..I also looked at what qualifications they were looking for…and I made it a point to get some of them in my home country …since I had a job I had a steady income so I was able to afford the exams...…it sometimes is way cheaper to do studies back home than in Canada..especially when you are new…. What was the benfit..?When I stepped foot in Canada..I already had what Canadian employers were looking for in terms of qualifications…so one less thing to worry about..atleast for me the last thing I wanted was to have to do more exams in Canada..while looking for jobs.....

One other thing I did was that I came to Canada with my family, but had them go back to my home country after the documentation was completed.(My wife worked back home ,she just took two months off) , this benefited me in two ways..one..it allowed me to move anywhere in Canada without the burden of having to move with my family..bought me some time to establish myself…second..since my wife went back to work in our home country it also lessened the financial burden on our family..which meant that while I was looking for work..I only had to worry about supporting myself..and it was less pressure on me knowing that my wife was financially sound….the catch to this whole thing..having to live away from your family for awhile…Once I got myself established(Job, steady income, ..etc) they joined me….. I am sure not everybody will agree..but it worked for me…

Well hope this all makes sense..and helps some of you out..good luck and all the best…"Welcome to Canada"

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It was a pleasure to read what you have been through and the way you tackled it..... Good luck......... Do pray for me as well... I too am planing to relocate to some remote area like Yukon where they pay a lot more than the other provinces.........Just started the process... hope to get through in due time....

lands said:
Not to paint a bleak picture for you folks who are planning to come to Canada..it is one of the very best countries to live in and if you have the commitment and the drive the sky is the limit for you...

However for many the first few months (or years...) will be tough..most of you are highly qualified individuals, had a established life, respectable job in your home country ... BUT in Canada you will be required to start from scratch... be ready for it..be ready to get down and dirty....

Some tips that I used..in my Job hunt..I landed in Toronto..what I soon found out was that..the market was flooded with people looking for jobs...so I decided to look outside of Toronto..outside of Ontario for that matter...sure enough there was jobs to be taken..of course it is not easy to move to a new country and then having to move to another province all together..most people tend to stick in Toronto..because it is the most culturally diversified community..you feel more or less like you are living at home....one of the key things that works against all us immigrants especially in this market..with the economy being so down..and so many people looking for jobs...employers hold the power...which also means they get to pick.... so even before we start they already have an excuse for not hiring us "No Canadian experience" this does not go to say that every employer will do this...but the majority will...so how do you get Canadian experience..? I choose to leave Toronto and relocate myself to a different province..where not everybody will move to..yes..it was remote and it did not feel like I was living in Canada and there were days I wondered..why the hell did I move to Canada..? This was not the life I planned...but with the eye on the big picture.."Canadian experience"..I managed to get some under my belt..Did some work related exams..and after 4 years..I now find myself back in Toronto..doing the job I wanted..and having employers calling me!!!

Look for jobs in Northern AB, NWT, ..the conditions might be a bit harsh (Winter , remote) but you get paid well and more importantly you get Canadian experience..plus employers in these areas offer great benefits since it is hard to recruit... it will also help some of you who is wanting to brushup on your english...if you are away from your community..the less you use your native language to talk....and you are forced to use english...we are in Canada we need to learn English or French. to be able to communicate

One other thing I did...before I came to Canada..I checked Canadian job sites to see what kind of openings were there in my field..I also looked at what qualifications they were looking for...and I made it a point to get some of them in my home country ...since I had a job I had a steady income so I was able to afford the exams......it sometimes is way cheaper to do studies back home than in Canada..especially when you are new.... What was the benfit..?When I stepped foot in Canada..I already had what Canadian employers were looking for in terms of qualifications...so one less thing to worry about..atleast for me the last thing I wanted was to have to do more exams in Canada..while looking for jobs.....

One other thing I did was that I came to Canada with my family, but had them go back to my home country after the documentation was completed.(My wife worked back home ,she just took two months off) , this benefited me in two ways..one..it allowed me to move anywhere in Canada without the burden of having to move with my family..bought me some time to establish myself...second..since my wife went back to work in our home country it also lessened the financial burden on our family..which meant that while I was looking for work..I only had to worry about supporting myself..and it was less pressure on me knowing that my wife was financially sound....the catch to this whole thing..having to live away from your family for awhile...Once I got myself established(Job, steady income, ..etc) they joined me..... I am sure not everybody will agree..but it worked for me...

Well hope this all makes sense..and helps some of you out..good luck and all the best..."Welcome to Canada"

Caloy

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Your experiences after landing were very informative. We are so guided by all your thoughts and shared experience. More power to you all and rest assured will be continually prayed on your daily journey.

Caloy :>

azir

Mar 22, 2010
Hello leon,
good to c u n im really sorry tht i didnt empty my inbox
i guess i wondered it has a capacity as much as hotmail inbox..my mistake
but thanks anywayz for pointin it out n for ur response too
u r gr8
thnks again
i was wondering to wait a little bit more? since i have some time till end of june?
do u think i should do this? i mean waitin a bit more?

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Dear "lands"

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, experience and of course your valuable advises.

Satish

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
citizenship to take 5 yrs from now on....

dear all people,

i have heard that can citizen will take 5 yrs is it true or false. senior members kindly confirm

GIAWM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2009
qorax said:
Lombard is a damn good insurer. I guess ICICI has a clean tie-up with them... which should make it one of the best Travel Insurance in the market, for u. GO FOR IT.

As for some generic terms & prices, u may like to read my post here:
Temp. Health Insurance: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39920.0.html

Good luck.
Qorax
Thank you..Qorax
Thanks for the inputs...

GIAWM