+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed Immigrants: Share Landing, Job hunt, house hunt & other experience

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sulekhakulashari said:
I wanted to know what kind of jobs i can get initially. People like qorax etc. may clarify who already landed. I have 2 masters degree. Can initially I get the job of Assistant, book-keeper etc. job. My husband can do survival jobs but as a woman, Its difficult for me to do the same.

Sulekha
Plenty of jobs there for book keepers as compared to other profession. The only take is that they want local experience. Well if you try hard you can get jobs in your field but just my suggestion, come to Canada with an open mind and it will help you and your family to settle soon.

Best of Luck

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Thanks Abhi and hmisabpk for sharing your experience...

Satish

malu08

Jul 27, 2009
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
hmisabpk said:
Hi,

Saki,

Thank you so much you think so? Many great Champions are in this forum and doing perfect job and their posts are excellent. I am just learning from them and from all of you.

Yes I started to enjoy my stay and this is the very best time to land if someone is planning to land near future.
Regarding the daily living expenses. It is depend on your family size.

1. House or apartment rent in city area is
1 bed room is from 800 -1000 $ monthly,
2 bed room house or apartment is 1000- 1300 $,
3 bed room house/apart is 1400-2000+ $,
1 bed room basement apartment is 600-800 $

2. Kitchen expenses for small family 10-30 $ / day and big family 20-50 $ /day depend on their foods (I mean veg or non veg)

3. Public transport per trip Bus or train is 3$ per person no matter who long you have trip or you can visit whole area without going out from their system. From children 50 - 75 % and same for the senior citizen, Then there is day pass for whole family 10$ /per day maximum 6 family member can travel 1 day full. They have monthly pass system 100$ /month, half for student and senior citizen. No matter what is your rout and who many buses or trains you are changing. They have well organized, best underground subway system every 3-5 mints you will get train or bus to everywhere from 5:30 am till night 2 am.
All buses and trains are very neat clean and will give you the written display and vice instruction for each in coming stop and station.

4. Regarding phones
A) home phone many companies are offering good promotions and deals but all are same. Whoever, the land line is monthly 15 -50 $ depend on the offers and additional features. Internet phone is from 10- 45 $ per month unlimited incoming and outgoing with caller ID etc.. But you should have the high speed internet connection.
B) Cell phone are from 20-60 $ per month package. Many companies are there, Roger, Bell, Fido, Wind, Solo etc... But good offer is from wind for 6 month 50% discount and unlimited incoming and outgoing (but net work weak). Normally they charge from 20-40 cent /minutes incoming or out going, sms local 15 & international 25cent/message.

5. Ware and Wireless internet, few big 3-4 companies are providing DSL from 30-50$ /month

6. Digital TV or cable TV is also from 30- 100 $ depend on selection of the channels.

7. Can use the own dish but need receiver/ box it will cast around 200-250$.

8. Two companies are leading in this, Bell and Roger they offer bundle package with Home phone, high speed Internet and Digital TV channels 3 to 6 month free offers or half price but you have to sign the contract with them 1-3 yrs (which all cell phone companies are also offering and it is not recommended for newly landed immigrant to do so)

It means you can manage your family (small) between 800-1500 $ / month and big family 4-6 members it will be approximate from 1500- 2500 $ / excluding the house rent.

Your kids school, snacks in school books etc.. no expenses, Medical you will have your OHIP card for medical care.
If you wish to buy your own house off course you have to pay taxes every month depend on the size and price of the house, you can get the loan (mortgage) starting from 1-5 % depend on term and condition and amount and period.

Other hand if you have kids per head government will pay child benefit which is 350 - 500 $ per child depend on your profession / income

For single person expenses will be 500-1000 $/ month excluding housing which could be one room from 400-500 $/month.

In outer city the prices will be little cheap but transportation will be less.

Yes if you want to buy the car prices to cheap but you have to pay the insurance every mount which could be from 200- 500 $ / month. Petrol is about 1 $ / liters.

What are the approximately expenditures are mentioned on cic website it is the almost same for family living in any big city.

I hope I covered what you ask in your question and little picture of daily routine expenses in Toronto

My best regards

hmisabpk
Could you please tell me How is Brampton in terms of School , House rent and Cost ?
How far it is from main downtown?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
malu08 said:
Could you please tell me How is Brampton in terms of School , House rent and Cost ?
Brampton to Toronto is 30-40min drive.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sulekhakulashari said:
I wanted to know what kind of jobs i can get initially. People like qorax etc. may clarify who already landed. I have 2 masters degree. Can initially I get the job of Assistant, book-keeper etc. job. My husband can do survival jobs but as a woman, Its difficult for me to do the same.

Sulekha
Many of our lady wives r into those 'survival jobs' here. Neither there is any degradation/degeneration of occupation here, nor r they stressful. U yet get 2 days a week off [if u do not intend to earn extra bucks on OT] & it is 8 hrs a day. So, not a big deal.

All over I find our kids [including girls] & matured ladies too, performing@Wendy's, MacDonald's, Tim Hortons, Walmart's etc. & they [including us & everyone] r fine with it. Here everybody works... & it is the 'in' thing. All occupations r respectable & looked-upon@the same level of humanity. DON'T WORRY.

Masters [1 or 2 or more] means nothing here for a newcomer, it'd be difficult to find a vocation equal or nearer to your original in the homeland, for the initial phases. We all, including all the current Managers, GMs & Entrepreneurs, have started that way; and everyone understands that.

Simple logic: Since u don't get to hire overseas manpower to do the menial jobs [if that's what u meant, though nothing is menial here], who's going to do those tasks anyway? It's the newcomers who run the show on these fronts. And that makes everyones life a lot easier. Soon, say 1-2 yrs hence, u'd move-up the ladder as well.

Good luck.
Qorax

Ps: Even with the foregoing, we'd be earning good [& sometimes better than our homeland]. The country is great, deep respect for labor [human life], things r wonderful here, kids get a better deal@self development, schooling is beyond compare [& free], life style is splendid, civic amenities r great & well maintained, there is nearly Nil pollution, the expanses r vast [not claustrophobic like in other part of the world], free meds, great city life [night life too], diversified of society [multi-culturalism], all ppl [of faith, color, creed] existing under the same roof, working together@the same job... BEAT THAT !

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
malu08 said:
Hi,

Rocky has already given u the picture of distances. Brampton is a suburb that is totally self-contained. Great environs, good accom [& cheaper too], Schooling is@par to any other place in Toronto or Ontario or Canada -for that matter.

Via Highway 427 & 403 u'd make it to Toronto d/town in 20 minutes flat [during rush hrs -add 15 mins more]. I'm driving@100+ Kmph all around [that's the max they allow by law].

Qorax

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
malu08 said:

Hi,
Malu08
Rocky and Qorax has given the excellent picture of the area and excellent reply to your query.

regards

hmisabpk

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you arrive in Canada

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/services/index.asp

- free language classes
- credentials assessed and recognized

and more.

Check the link

Emcool00

Star Member
Apr 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-09
Doc's Request.
09-02-10
AOR Received.
09-02-10
File Transfer...
09-04-10
Med's Request
29-04-10
Med's Done....
25-05-10
Passport Req..
11-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
Hello Abhi,
Thanks for your elaborate run down of your landing formalties.This is wishing you the best of luck in your job search.
You mentioned about your rented apartment.Can you shed some light on this like did you pay for the apartment yourself before arrival or somebody got it for you and what is the cost like and how did you pay?
Thanks once again.

prsh_patel

Feb 9, 2010
Vadodara
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2009
Doc's Request.
30-01-2010
AOR Received.
30-03-2010
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
3rd Feb 2010
Med's Request
08-07-2010
Med's Done....
13-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2010
LANDED..........
Jan 2011
abhi292000 said:
Halo friends,

Finally i m in Canada and i would like to share my landing experience with you people...actually i have logged in forum after one week sori for it but i was bit busy with my other important works to be done .

My flight was on 11th early morning from Mumbai - Heathrow - Toronto.

At Mumbai airport i completed all the luggage and immigration formality and boarded on Jet flight..landed in heathrow on time...then my time gap for my connecting flight was 1.45 minutes from heathrow to toronto.But when we boarded the flight we were told that flight is being delayed by 2 hours due to volcanic ash problem and we wil fly at 10.45 am.so bloody two hours we were just sitting in plane and then at 10.35 we took of for toronto and reached at toronto airport at 2.30pm

Then i headed towards the immigration section where i was told to follow the back door to immigration officer where i had to complete my landing paper.
I was first to office no had come till that time...then i waited at the go line where IO called me and asked for my passport and landing papers.
Then he asked me some questions which i have mentioned below:-

1. Under what category u were given PR?
2. What was ur profession in india?
3. In my Landing papers it was mentioned as Nova Scotia...so he asked me whether i m going to NS?
4. Then he asked me how much funds i have got?
5. Where i going to stay in Canada?
6. How did i get this accomodation?
7. Do i already have job offer?

Then he told me to sign the POF copy and then he told me that PR has some rules and regulations which i have to follow and abide.

He also told me if to keep my PR status valid i need to stay for two year and then he stamped on my passport gave me one copy of landing papers and told me to retain it til end and told me i will get the card in a months time and he greeted me Welcome to Canada.And then he told me to go to next door where i was greeted by person welcome to canada, he too checked my landing papers and then gave me a bag which contained all the important brochures and information as well.

Then he told me to meet on lady sitting at the door and she too checked my landing papers and gave me SIN card information to apply and noted my details in her register and greeted me again and told me to collect the baggage and then go ahead

I collected my luggage i didnt had any change with me so their was man whom i asked changed i think he employee of migration office..he gave me change and got the trolley then while the way to exit i was again checked by lady officer and she told me to go to customs and then exit.So i went customs officer wherein he asked me if i have any good to follow and i said no..so he said jsut this items u have with u nothing else no car nothing i said no.Then he asked me if i have lsit of things i have bought i said yes and he asked me about funds i told him yes i do have so he said okie then we wil count the same but he didnt count it jsut wrote wat i told him thats it..cos he said jsut want to mention it in the form thats it and not interested to count them.He didnt even ask for the good followed with me. And then he told me its all done and welcome to canada.

then i came to exit to catch cab to my rented house...to be frank i was very afraid when i faced the IO but later on i was okie......

When came out it was good weather and lit bit windy....i reached my destination in 15 min and arranged my room same day and then evening landlord took me for dinner....and told me about the areas nearby and how to communnicate

Second i went for SIN application i travelled alone so was bit worried since i didnt had any new mobile number if i was sot but i managed.It was okie.

I took fido contract next day but let me WARN u people here incoming call are charegable not like india so beware...i didnt knew that and all my balance was lost in 7 hours time...but then my owner told me to go for WIND contract which is 35 CAD per month but they have unlimited calling to any service provider and incoming free as well....SO i owuld suggest u people to go for WIND mobile..u need 2 buy their handsets since their card is not compatible to any other handsets.But backdrop is WIND doesnt have clear coverage since they are new in market but they are growing now.So let hope for best

I m also registered myself with humna resource center and YMCA ....so please to regsiter they help up with resume and cover letter updation.U can alos use their facility of printing scanning faxing photo copy and many other services they conduct seminars for new ppeople i didnt attend but if u wnat u people can.

I also registered myself with Toronto Library.Sori i forgot i opened bank account with Scotia Bank and they offered me to open a cheque account to begin with ......
Now i have started for hunting jobs and wish me luck guys
And if u people need any information u can mail me at abhi292000 @ yahoo.co.in

God bless u all and wish u luck

Take care
Abhishek
wondorful my friend...thanks for all your efforts to write down your experience in canada so far..this is really very helpful....wish you all the very best for job hunting...

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Hi Qorox,

Me too looking for Brampton. Hows the climate there in Toronto? and whats your opinion abt getting a survival job for spouse in Brampton itself??

Satish

azir

Mar 22, 2010
Hello! every1
im new to this site n this thread too...
i have been reading this thread n its really very helpful..specially rocky u did a g8 job.
but i too have a prob to discuss.
did my landing on 7th april 2010 but i was nt able to stay back long soi had to leave after 10 days..everthin went well at airport smooth n without any problems
but i left canada b4 gettin my prc coz i couldnt stay tht long..
i have to fly back to canada in july but my prc hasnot reached at the address given to them at the airport
so plz tell me is it normal tht i takes so long for the prc to come...its been 42 days till now?
n is there any other way ican enter canada in july as my seats r cnfrmd plz do help me out?

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
azir said:
Hello! every1
im new to this site n this thread too...
i have been reading this thread n its really very helpful..specially rocky u did a g8 job.
but i too have a prob to discuss.
did my landing on 7th april 2010 but i was nt able to stay back long soi had to leave after 10 days..everthin went well at airport smooth n without any problems
but i left canada b4 gettin my prc coz i couldnt stay tht long..
i have to fly back to canada in july but my prc hasnot reached at the address given to them at the airport
so plz tell me is it normal tht i takes so long for the prc to come...its been 42 days till now?
n is there any other way ican enter canada in july as my seats r cnfrmd plz do help me out?
Yes you can enter Canada as you are the PR. You will have to arrange for travel documents for which goto the CIC website and follow the instructions it shall not be a problem at all. :)

msaleem216

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2007
Doc's Request.
10-03-2009
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
Passport Req..
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2014
LANDED..........
3rd December,2014 INSHA ALLAH
respecteddear qorax and rocky

wondorful friends...
thanks for all your efforts to write down your experience in canada so far.

.this is really very helpful....wish you all the very best for job hunt in
hoping u will remain in toach with us
saleem

maverick_stallion

Feb 18, 2010
People,

can you pl guide me if i am taking my cell, laptop and handy cam to canada will the power cord change as i hv heard they have DC supply in canada and in india its ac supply.

Pl gude....