+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed immigrant - child born outside of Canada ! How to process his PR

Namelessone77

Oct 19, 2010
Hi,

Looking for some help as we're getting stressed!

My wife, daughter and I are landed immigrants as of June 2009, after which we returned to Dubai to spend time saving money and getting things sorted for our return in 2012.

We had our second child born in Dubai (induced delivery) so could not birth in canada so now our son doesn't have a citizenship.

What is the best way to get his PR so we can all travel together next year? I am getting horror stories of year long applications!

Appreciate any advice we can get on this!!!!!
We stand to lose our PR if we do not go by june 2012.....

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for a TRV for your child. Once you are in Canada proceed with sponsorship application for your child - an Out of Canada Application to be submitted to CPC Mississauga and the PR processing will be done at Visa Processing Office Buffalo.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But clouds gather quickly. If you get a TRV, fine but do not count on it. Children of PR's have often been refused a TRV because the intention is to stay permanently. If that happens, some people have applied for and been granted a TRP, usually reserved for people inadmissible to Canada but with H&C grounds to be in Canada anyway. If you get that, fine but if that doesn't work for you either, since you are PR and have to be in Canada yourself to sponsor your child, you would need to go to Canada without the child. Whether just you go or your wife goes and whether you take the older child with you is irrelevant.

However, since you are cutting it close with residency requirements planning on returning exactly 3 years after leaving, it is possible that whoever of the PR's in your family that stay behind with the baby may lose their PR due to residency requirements. With valid PR cards, they may get in without questions, if they are questioned, they will probably be let into Canada after explaining the situation but be aware that once the PR card expires, you should not apply to renew until you have your 730 days in Canada or you will have problems.

Namelessone77

Oct 19, 2010
Ouch.... that does sound cloudy indeed....my sleepless night was warranted.....this is making it quite tricky for us - we are both working and really need the income to fulfill some financial obligations and my wife is completing her education here till August. Is there any indication of how long it would take to get his PR done if one of us went to Canada to apply?

I don't want to keep the child away from the mother - I cant even begin to think how we would manage it! I hope the embassy grants us a visa....