+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed - Exited and Re-entering Canada

kikiva

Feb 16, 2017
i have landed successfully, while my pr card is being processed (2-3 months) can I go on a trip to the US (have valid visa) and re-enter Canada. I will be driving and crossing border by car as a mode of transport. Is this possible? or do i have to wait for the PR card to arrive before making any travel plans?

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
The logic here is your visa is single entry visa, so commercial transport wont let you board the vehicle without pr card or PRTD. You can reach border without any vehicle only from US,since you have copr and you are a pr you will be given entry.

People with visa exempt country wont have this problem, since they dont visa to enter canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The logic here is your visa is single entry visa, so commercial transport wont let you board the vehicle without pr card or PRTD. You can reach border without any vehicle only from US,since you have copr and you are a pr you will be given entry.

People with visa exempt country wont have this problem, since they dont visa to enter canada.
Visa-exempt people require an eTA, which PRs cannot get, so yes, they have the same problem. The only exception is Americans because they are both visa-exempt and eTA-exempt.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You don't need an eTA to cross the border by car when you are visa-exempt (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp).
if you're crossing in a private vehicle, and you have already landed as a PR, then you don't need anything (Visa, ETA, etc). Your passport and a copy of your COPR are sufficient for CBSA to let you in as a PR.

An ETA or PRTD is required if you're returning to Canada on a commercial carrier. They cannot let you board without valid travel authorization.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
i have landed successfully, while my pr card is being processed (2-3 months) can I go on a trip to the US (have valid visa) and re-enter Canada. I will be driving and crossing border by car as a mode of transport. Is this possible? or do i have to wait for the PR card to arrive before making any travel plans?
Yes, you can do this. I just did this a couple weeks ago - I drove across in my own car. There's no border control on the US side, and on the Canadian side, all I had to do was show my Foreign passport. The CBSA officer was able to use that to identify me as a PR and he waved me through. It took five minutes.

I had a copy of my COPR but he didn't want to see it. Still, I recommend carrying this just in case.