+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed but something weird

mwfo

Mar 12, 2016
Hi guys,
I just landed two days ago at rainbow bridge. The procedure went smoothly BUT two things I didn't expect:

1) my current work permit still with me and I expected the officer to take it or make it void. Even my immigration visa is valid!!!
2) he didn't give me confirmation of landing as many people given a piece of paper to confirm the landing.

What do you think guys?

Thanks

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Other members reported that they still have their work and study permits after landing. They are void automatically and hold no weight. What do you mean by the immigration visa is valid. It is a one entry visa... please elaborate.
2. What do you mean about confirmation of landing? Do you mean the Confirmation of Permanent Residence? You should haveone copy stamped and signed by the CBSA officer at the point of entry.

mwfo

Mar 12, 2016
Doda said:
1. Other members reported that they still have their work and study permits after landing. They are void automatically and hold no weight. What do you mean by the immigration visa is valid. It is a one entry visa... please elaborate.
2. What do you mean about confirmation of landing? Do you mean the Confirmation of Permanent Residence? You should haveone copy stamped and signed by the CBSA officer at the point of entry.
Hi Doda,
I expect as usual for one time visa, when I arrive to airport they will make a mark on it to show that it was used once and not valid anymore. COPR signed by officer but no stamp. Is it enough.

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mwfo said:
Hi Doda,
I expect as usual for one time visa, when I arrive to airport they will make a mark on it to show that it was used once and not valid anymore. COPR signed by officer but no stamp. Is it enough.
My visa had a diagonal strikeout with a pen and circled on IM1 category. The next page had an entry stamp with the CoPR document number writing beneath it. The CoPR is acceptable with a signature only. But other than that there were no other documents involved other than a B4A which was declaring goods to follow

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mwfo said:
Hi guys,
I just landed two days ago at rainbow bridge. The procedure went smoothly BUT two things I didn't expect:

1) my current work permit still with me and I expected the officer to take it or make it void. Even my immigration visa is valid!!!
I was permitted to keep mine as well. Technically, the IRPA regulations state:

186 A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit
. You're no longer a foreign national, which means you don't need a work permit, but

I don't see anything in particular in there about voiding existing work permits. In theory, if you voluntarily gave up PR, your work permit would become useful - until then, the work permit appears to simply give you permission to do something you already have permission to do.

2) he didn't give me confirmation of landing as many people given a piece of paper to confirm the landing.
That seems to be pretty common - as long as you have your CoPR, you should be fine.