+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Land->Leave->Marry->Return->Sponsor->Leave Canada->Return with Wife ?

DJ_Bobby_A

Jul 6, 2007
Dear experts,

I will receive an invitation to submit my passport for Immigrant visa stamping any time now. I have obtained a CSQ and I am headed for Montreal. However, I wish to bring my girlfriend to Canada as soon as possible. Since marrying her before landing will force us to amend our applications and lose significant amount of time, I have almost decided that I will first land, and then marry and sponsor immediately.

It is well known that PRs (non-citizens) can sponsor only while they reside in Canada. What does that mean? Ok, I will land, get my PR card, leave Canada, marry abroad, return to Canada and submit my application for sponsorship.

Here is my big question: Then what? Can I leave Canada after I submit my application? That is, given I will have a mailing address (the one of my friend, who can forward to me overseas the letters that I receive). If I have to 'reside' in Canada while the sponsorship application of my future wife is being processed, can I leave the country at all, and go on tourism overseas? If yes, for how long, so that my sponsorship is not terminated?

The thing is, it is very important to us that we are together once we get married. I would feel miserable if I have to be separated from her for a few months. I wish, basically, to be physically located outside Canada for most of the duration of the sponsorship. If the proposed scheme does not work for some reason, could you please, give me some advice?

I would highly appreciate any opinions. Thank you!

DJ_Bobby_A

Jul 6, 2007
Guys (and girls): This above was my first posting. By not responding... do you want to confess that you can not give me a competent answer? Even the most competent 'experts'? I am now challenging you! Many experts on this site said that PR sponsors have to be 'RESIDENTS' of Canada. Come on... I know what that means. I come from a country where people love each other and can really be helpful when necessary, so I beg you to help me, too. Now tell me the truth: I am a PR and I sponsor my new wife... Under what circumstances can I leave Canada while I sponsor my new wife? Please tell me that... Boyan

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

DJ_Bobby_A said:
Guys (and girls): This above was my first posting. By not responding... do you want to confess that you can not give me a competent answer? Even the most competent 'experts'? I am now challenging you! Many experts on this site said that PR sponsors have to be 'RESIDENTS' of Canada. Come on... I know what that means. I come from a country where people love each other and can really be helpful when necessary, so I beg you to help me, too. Now tell me the truth: I am a PR and I sponsor my new wife... Under what circumstances can I leave Canada while I sponsor my new wife? Please tell me that... Boyan
There is a very good chance that is CIC determines that you are not in Canada, then they won't process the application until you return to Canada. You know the rules, what else can be said.

PMM

DJ_Bobby_A

Jul 6, 2007
PMM.

the truth is... I dont' know the rules, but I would like to now them. I'm afraid they are not listed anywhere.
I think you are the expert on that topic. Could you, please, answer? Under what exact circumstances can I leave the country while my application is being processed? When will CIC stop processing? What do I have to do wrong for that to happen? Thanks.

Bobby

HolyMan

Jul 24, 2013
Dear All,

I have a similar que posted by Bobby.

I am PR holder and sponsored my spouse in Family sponsorship program (OUTLAND) in Feb 2015. since the processing time is very long almost 16 months and my wife is not with me. i am planning to go back to my home country while my spouse's PR in process and planning to come back later once she get the PR.
will there be any impact on my spouse PR if i do so?. if yes, then how about a vacation for a month?
your expert advise will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
HolyMan said:
i am planning to go back to my home country while my spouse's PR in process and planning to come back later once she get the PR.
will there be any impact on my spouse PR if i do so?. if yes, then how about a vacation for a month?
your expert advise will be appreciated.
As a PR, you must reside in Canada throughout the entire process. If CIC determines that your are not residing in Canada, you can expect the PR app to be refused.

A few short vacations during the process is fine.

M

mikeymyke

Why don't you just remain in Canada, apply outland for your spouse, then have your spouse apply for a tourist visa, and then get a tourist visa extension before it expires? If you have a solid application, your spouse should get PR visa before the tourist visa (or even the extension) even expires.

Luna21

Star Member
Nov 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
21-04-2015..........SA email 21-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
25-02-2015
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
12/22/2015
VISA ISSUED...
01/15/2015
Hi,
I have a friend that did this, but he left once he was approved as a sponsor. However, I do think it is a huge risk. What is your VO? The processing times are not always as stated in the cic Web site.
My friend's wife was approved but you never know if the officer is going to verify where you are when assessing the application.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
If your girlfriend was considered a common-law partner before you applied and you failed to mention her on your application it could also be refused.

As others have said, you must reside in Canada when sponsoring. Your wish to be primarily overseas is highly unlikely.