+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Land in winter or summer?

AVR

Jun 21, 2009
Hi all,

I have received my passports back with PR VISA from CHC London few weeks ago. My VISA is valid up to June 2010. Now, I would like to hear valuable suggestions from seniors whether to land in winter or summer?

Few suggested me that Canadian winter season will be too difficult for new immigrants who come from warm countries at their first survival. So, they said that better to land in spring or summer. I think there are advantages and disadvantages of both in terms of job prospective.

If most of the people thinking to avoid Canadian winter and want land in summer. Then there will be bit more competition for jobs in summer. If so, are there better chances to grab job opportunities by landing in winter?

However, Most of employees go for annual vacations in summer and then there will be better chances to get temporary jobs. Any way, it will be too difficult to get permanent job initially without regulatory body license, Canadian job education and\or experience. So, is it wise to target temporary job by landing in summer while continuing education\bridging programs and getting license from regulatory body?

Which option will be best, especially who is in Healthcare and Engineering professions? Please share your experience.

AVR

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
"Canada" is a big place. Depends on where you intend to settle, how extreme the winter is.

In the summer, you are competing with a lot of students for temp jobs.

Employers tend to put hiring on hold through the holiday season (except for temp holiday jobs), and resume hiring in January/February.

If you need to take any courses for your licensing, they may start in January, and you may need to wait until August for the next one. I suggest you look into that -

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Go down to the local supermarket and ask to stand in the meat freezer for about 10 minutes. Gradually up the time you spend in there in 10 minutes increments, until you get up to 40 minutes. That is the best way to prepare for a Canadian winter. :)

foreverwaiting

Star Member
Dec 16, 2008
Avoid the summer months when universities/colleges are closed for summer break as during that time all entry-level jobs get filled up with students.

If you land during winter, you are likely to be without driving license/car. Will you be able to survive the harsh winter without your own personal car??

In my opinion, spring is the best time to land.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I agree with foreverwaiting, SPring time is best -- for the weather and for the job opportunities.

But don't be dismayed by the cold winters. SUre it gets cold outside, but you can dress warmly and go inside where there the houses are well sealed and the central heating is functional. I was never so cold as when I lived near London from August - December one year. Cold, damp drafty houses. There was no escape from the cold.

Brits are tough!!!

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lets put it this way...

If you plan on flying...do it before the Olympics are in full swing, especially if you are planning on going to Vancouver, Edmonton, or Calgary (I know this first hand...getting a flight in February into, out of, or across Western Canada is a little difficult right now)
If you plan on driving (land borders in BC through Manitoba) wait until late March when the roads are all but cleared...maybe.

I am flying to Vancouver to land in about a month, while storing the bulk of my effects in Portland, OR to retreive them in April in order to drive them back to my new Alberta home.

I am glad they have the "good to follow' option.