+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Land border crossing from US to Canada - documents required?

seanlackland

Aug 19, 2019
Hi all

I am a British citizen planning to cross the land border from the US to Canada for a visit in a few days time. I'm planning to stay for around 4 months and leave by land into the US again.

The official websites I've looked at are clear that I don't need a tourist visa and also don't need an ETA (because I'm arriving overland) but they are not clear about :

- how long I will be stamped in for
- whether or not I need to provide any additional information to immigration (e.g. proof of funds or proof of a ticket out of Canada)

Can anyone help me by letting me know a bit more about the process? Will I need this additional information or will just my passport be ok for entry?

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide

Sean

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You as a UK citizen are visa exempt but you should expect at the land border to be asked purpose of visit, for how long, where do you plan to stay and if you say 4 months how do you plan to fund.

The latter is important given if you say 4 months they may think you are planning to work so you need to be clear with backup you are just a self funded visitor with a tourist itinerary.

UK visitors most of the time just get a default 6 month stay when arriving at an airport but at a land crossing there could be more opportunity to question your intent especially if you state a 4 month stay and they will probably be interested in your status in the US if that is your intended destination when you depart.

With CBSA is impossible to predict what questions they may ask, they may ask almost none at all but the golden rule is only answer questions honestly without hesitation and do not volunteer anything extra.

Having said all of above no need to overthink things and expect you will cross into Canada with no issues, enjoy your visit

Last edited:

seanlackland

Aug 19, 2019
You as a UK citizen are visa exempt but you should expect at the land border to be asked purpose of visit, for how long, where do you plan to stay and if you say 4 months how do you plan to fund.

The latter is important given if you say 4 months they may think you are planning to work so you need to be clear with backup you are just a self funded visitor with a tourist itinerary.

UK visitors most of the time just get a default 6 month stay when arriving at an airport but at a land crossing there could be more opportunity to question your intent especially if you state a 4 month stay and they will probably be interested in your status in the US if that is your intended destination when you depart.

With CBSA is impossible to predict what questions they may ask, they may ask almost none at all but the golden rule is only answer questions honestly without hesitation and do not volunteer anything extra.

Having said all of above no need to overthink things and expect you will cross into Canada with no issues, enjoy your visit

seanlackland

Aug 19, 2019
Thanks very much - I really appreciate you getting back to me. I guess you won't know if they have any specific requirements for the amount of money you need in your account for a 4 month stay? I remember in NZ the official line was $1,000 per person per month, but I can't find anything similarly specific on the Canadian government's website, so I'm assuming it's just at the discretion of the immigration officer?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks very much - I really appreciate you getting back to me. I guess you won't know if they have any specific requirements for the amount of money you need in your account for a 4 month stay? I remember in NZ the official line was $1,000 per person per month, but I can't find anything similarly specific on the Canadian government's website, so I'm assuming it's just at the discretion of the immigration officer?
There is no set amount required because it depends on personal circumstances but you are going to need more than $1000/month. That likely won't even cover accommodation.

seanlackland

Aug 19, 2019
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah - it's weird that the amount is that little in NZ...we have got more (about $4k per month) and we're staying with family and friends around Canada so hopefully our funds should be accepted as sufficient if they do go down that route.