11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
wannabeacanuck said:
also one more question, I don't have to land with my sponsor (a Canadian citizen) present do I? We applied as common law marriage because she is currently in USA with me. However, by coincidence, she is currently in Canada for the next little bit anyway. But I don't think it's required that she land with me, is it?
You can land without your sponsor. I landed without my conjugal partner 8) and was driving his car at the time. Just be sure you know the address where you will be living in Canada.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
wannabeacanuck said:
At the CIC site, under frequently asked questions-->permanent residence cards, I believe it says I can enter canada again as long as I'm driving (that is the only way I'd likely go to Canada in the next few months anyway). Or am I mis-understanding that? I think it just means I have to bring a couple forms with me.

CAN YOU GIVE ME THE LINK?

Regarding the car, I think I'd end up doing the same thing you did in an ideal world--drive the car into Canada in 2 weeks, but not import it at the time. Then import it later. As I understand it, the car is taxed no matter what though, right? (Because it is a use tax not a duty tax? )
I PAID A LOT OF "FEES" BUT NO NOTHING OVERTLY CALLED A TAX.

Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for your detailed description or your process. I'm going to have to plan some time to figure that out as well.

Currently my gf has 1 car, and I have a car. We are going to import only her car and sell mine as her car is bigger. That's amazing how much the insurance is on it. I wonder why it's so high. I can probably get some sort of letter saying clean record or whatever (only accident occurred 5 years ago and was actually someoen rear-ending me--in Montreal of all places.)

Regarding the link, I'd love to send it, but the forum won't allow it for some reason. If you go to cic website then english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I hope that accident in Montreal was more than 5 years ago, as it will likely have an effect on your rates (my sponsor has two not his fault minor incidents in MTL which more than doubled his ALREADY high insurance premiums)....something to do with "no fault" system.

I have completely clean record no tickets, no accidents and qualified for the highest insurance rating. The agents I got quotes from blamed the cost of medical care for injuries sustained in accidents as the reason rates are so high (and that the minimum levels of coverage are higher- 1 million vs 500,000) but I called bullsh*t on that. Everything seems to be more expensive in Canada.

Jun 25, 2010
My accident was actually 5 years almost tohe date of today, so by the time we move it will be > 5 years. I guess if the government is paying all medical bills in general, they want to be absolutely sure that everything is covered by the car insurance companies. Who knows though?

Ah! So many things to figure out! This is why I'd like to get this one thing done with.

Sunlight

May 26, 2010
wannabeacanuck said:
At the CIC site, under frequently asked questions-->permanent residence cards, I believe it says I can enter canada again as long as I'm driving (that is the only way I'd likely go to Canada in the next few months anyway). Or am I mis-understanding that? I think it just means I have to bring a couple forms with me.
This is correct. You can enter Canada again with your passport and your landing papers, as long as you are traveling by car. You cannot return by commercial vehicle (plane, train, bus, etc.) without your PR card. It does state this on the CIC website, and I was going to post a link, but the site appears to be down at the moment...

We did this just a couple of weeks ago. We'd made plans to go to the U.S. to visit my hubby's family and to bring his truck and belongings back. His PR card didn't arrive in time, but -- after checking whether he could return without it -- we went ahead and flew down and then returned with his vehicle. He had no trouble crossing back into Canada. The border agent did ask if he had his PR card, and we explained that it hadn't arrived yet, and he looked over his paperwork and his passport and everything was fine.

Before we went, my hubby called the CIC call centre, and they confirmed this, and they also sent an email with this information. Here is a quote from that email:

"Please note that a PR card or travel document is required for all permanent residents returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle (plane, train, boat or bus). If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, the PR card is not mandatory; you can use your immigration paper (i.e. Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)). "

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Thanks for the info Sunlight.

Jun 25, 2010
FYI for anyone reading this thread:

I finished the process successfully. It took about 15 minutes. The document attached to the passport IS good for travel but only via land and only via driving. So one can not take a plane, train, boat, etc. (I think even buses are no good) That much is definite. So if your plan is to drive back and forth, no problem there.

I have heard from someone else that if you take the sheet out of your passport and have a passport that allows you to travel without any visa, then it probably is OK anyway, but you are then taking a chance. Essentially, you have to first convince the airline that you are okay to travel. You can do this by taking the sheet that is stapled out of your passport. They will not know you are a Candian permanent residence so will allow it. Then when you get to the border, you just show them the sheet proving that you are a Canadian permanent residence and they MAY will let you in. However, it is not guaranteed. I have a friend who successfully did this.

Also, had a bit of trouble with my car as others have documented here. I could not import it at the time because I actually didn't have the title on me, but it is illegal for a Candian permanent resident to drive a US licensed car in Canada. The lady who filled out all the landing forms told me the best thing was just to hope I wasn't pulled over by a police officer because then I might get a ticket for it :) It seemed like the concern was largely a DMV issue and not an Immigration issue so she didn't care. However, there was a bit of a chance taken here as well, so one should be weary of that.

Thanks for the advice!

frenchrock

Star Member
Apr 18, 2009
Massena, New York, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04-06-2010
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
waived
Med's Done....
26-04-2009 (expired/waived)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2010
LANDED..........
pending
Great information to know...once I land in Canada (process is finalizing in Buffalo) I will continue to work in the US until I have my PR card, apply for a job in Canada, etc. I live in a border town, so it's nice to know that I'm able to drive back and forth while the PR card is in the works.

Also good to know about the additional fees with the vehicle importation. I work in insurance, so I'll research the best rates. Paying $1700+ is outrageous!

K

kalew2010

FYI ripping a page out of your passport is ILLEGAL. don't do it!! :eek:

dhdesigns

Star Member
Apr 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the typical waiting time for a PR card to arrive after landing? We have a trip to Europe planned for the first two weeks in October. We are expecting the PPR soon, but depending on when it actually comes and when the visa comes back, it sounds like it might not be advisable to Land until we are returning to Vancouver from London...........(we were planning on doing a flagpole at Peace Arch as soon as it arrives).

Thanks!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I think sending PR cards is about 6-7 weeks, but the last I heard anyone comment on it was a month or so ago. If you have yet to receive your PPR and your medical exam is valid until after your trip, I think you're right. Plan on landing when you return from London. Landing doesn't take long (unless they are busy in the office) and you will have to deal with immigration and customs coming back into Canada anyway.
Just curious, what if the PPR comes while you are away? And what country are you from; is it visa exempt?
Allison

MizzCanAm

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
Med's Done....
12-08-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
09-03-2012
AllisonVSC said:
You can land without your sponsor. I landed without my conjugal partner 8) and was driving his car at the time. Just be sure you know the address where you will be living in Canada.

Did they give you a hard time at the border with your partner's vehicle? Just wondering because I wanted to use my common law partner's vehicle to go to the states for 2 weeks. I hope that if I am on his insurance and he is my common law partner and application will be in waiting for approval, they won't say anything. My visitor visa expires August 31 and I wanted to take his vehicle to the states for 2 weeks or more and then come back to Canada and wait for PR to be approved. At the time of leaving I will have my application turned in and fees paid. Has anyone else been able to do this?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Hi MizzCanAm,
They did not ask anything about the vehicle at any point when I crossed the border, but I did carry written permission from him that said I could leave Canada and return on such and such dates using his vehicle just in case it was an issue. I also carried his registration, proof of insurance and a copy of his driver's license as proof of his identity and our common address.

I can't help with your other question. I did not feel Canada while my PR was in process except to go and pick up my visa. Hopefully, others will share their experiences. Allison